Top Feedback Summary for January 28

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey, Insiders! Welcome to this week’s Top Feedback Summary post. We have a few updates for you all.

We added a new item this week due to the amount of feedback we’ve received. Edge cannot find devices to cast media is now on the list to track our progress. We have no information on when this will be re-enabled, however you can follow the steps in last week’s summary as a work around. You’ll see updates here as we get them.

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account has moved to Not Planned this week. You can read more information on why that decision was made in the discussion thread for this topic.

Unfortunately, there’s a couple things that are being pushed out to next month. We now have the following items under Planned for February:

• Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices
  • Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile.

Enable sync of browsing history between devices has moved from Planned for January to Planned for Summer. The team continues to work hard to bring this to the browser, however there are some architecture changes that need to be made which will impact the delivery of the feature. We will provide more updates around history sync as we get them.

You may notice that we’ve broken out our Quality Areas section! We feel this will better show what we continuously work on over time, rather than have a set schedule for when something is released or resolved.

Lastly, we have an update to two-finger scrolling! While we haven’t resolved everything around TouchPad scrolling, Clay posted a detailed explanation of where we are in this process.

Here’s the full updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

Planned for January

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

8 weeks

Planned for January

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

23 weeks

Planned for February

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

11 weeks

Planned for February

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

22 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

12 weeks

Planned

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

NEW!

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

1 week

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

1 week

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

11 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

13 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

13 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

21 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

23 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

23 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

23 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

18 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

19 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

21 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

23 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

23 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

23 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

23 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

23 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

23 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

17 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

22 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

22 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

22 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

45 Replies

@MissyQ 

The InPrivate button bug is back. Since i'm on the topic of the InPrivate icon, while you're updating the browser to fluent design to make it look less like a chrome wannabe, could you please make the InPrivate button blue like how it was in IE and classic edge?

IP.png

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-the-epub-reader-from-edgeuwp-to-edge-chromium... again I hope you consider adding the support to open epubs with the immersive reader function. This feedback reached 60+ likes now
Thanks for finally dropping support for Google sign in, it was a great and wise decision.

@MissyQ  Sync history between devices on Summer? Are you kidding? You promised every week that it will coming soon! I'm very disappointed. 

And squared

Hey there, @MissyQ 

Please can you add the ability to send web pages to another device. This would be handy for work when we have to move from one computer to another in a school environment. 

Nathan, 

@MissyQ 

Still no sign of any of the things that matter to me.

If I am to consider using Chromium Edge instead of Firefox, I absolutely need:

1 Middle-click on favorites in favorites menus and sub-menus to leave the menus OPEN so that additional favorites can be clicked on without having to re-open and re-navigate the favorites menus for each one, as per IE, Edge Classic and Firefox (and every browser I've used as my normal browser since at least 2005).

2 Option for more quick links on New Tab page (ideally option for one or two rows, and option for how many in a row).

3 As I won't use a desktop browser that won't sync favorites, passwords, history etc with an Android browser I am prepared to use on my phone, and as I'm not prepared to use an Android browser with controls at the bottom of the screen so won't use current Android Edge, either: (a) get the Android Edge team to provide an option to move the bottom control bar to the top, like Firefox preview now has; or (b) this desktop Edge needs to be able to sync (not just one off import) favorites, history etc with another brand of Android browser I WILL use, with Firefox and Google Chrome being the current possibles.

Note with respect to 1 above: it occurred to me a possibility for me to be able to open several favorites (which ones varying each time, not a constant group I can have alone in one folder) without having to re-open and re-navigate the favorites menus for each one would be for me to pin edge://favorites/, and use that rather than the favorites bar or button. Would mean an extra click each time, and lose my current selected tab, but I can middle-click several favorites in it without closing menus. EXCEPT I then find that my OTHER need is lost - middle-clicking on a favorites folder/sub-folder to open ALL favorites in the folder, which I also do many times a day. That works in the favorites menus from the favorites bar, but DOESN'T work in the Manage Favorites page. WTF? In Firefox, middle-clicking on favorites in favorite bar menus keeps the menu open and middle-clicking on a folder there opens all favorites in the menu; and in the manage favorites page middle-clicking on a favorite opens it in a background tab so I can open several in a row, while middle-clicking on a folder of favorites there  DOES open all favorites in the folder - I can happily use either the favorites bar or the manage favorites page. But you guys have managed to bork different parts of BOTH methods: middle-clicking to open all in a folder works in the dopdown menus, but middle-clicking on a favorite doesn't leave the menu open so I can pick several without re-opening and re-navigating each time.; using the pinned favorite page lets me middle-click on several favorites and have them open in background tabs so no -re-opening and navigating, but middle-clicking on a folder there does NOTHING. (Yes, I can right click and then scroll in the context menu to open all, but WHY should I have to?)

You have simply made my normal browsing too cumbersome as compared with other browsers, and even IE. I should be able to open all favorites in a folder with one click AND open several individual favorites with nothing more than one click each, no re-opening, re-navigating, context menus or any of that like other browsers manage and other Microsoft browsers have managed. Sort yourselves out - there is no possibility of me using this browser until and unless you do.

@DavidGB Like this ? IE11 Bookmarks 2.jpg

I would like this on my:-

Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 79.0.309.71 (Official build) (32-bit)
if possible please. :cool:

@DavidGB 

I'm on Firefox 73 now and middle clicking on the bookmark/favorite drop down menu on the top-right closes it and Firefox automatically switches to the new tab. this is the default behavior and there is no option in Firefox that i could find to change it for the bookmarks bar.

@Nathan Roberts 

@Nathan Roberts wrote:

Please can you add the ability to send web pages to another device. This would be handy for work when we have to move from one computer to another in a school environment. 

Hi,

you can use the Your Phone app if you have it on both Windows 10 and on your mobile phone,

it could be also possible to do it if they enable "open tab syncing" option in here:

edge://settings/profiles/sync

it was enabled for 1-2 months but then suddenly it was switched to "coming soon" and there is no specific date for when it is going to come back again!

@HotCakeXBut sending page using Your Phone App works only if another computer is online. I want to send page to computer (browser) which is offline. The only workaround are Favorites :-(.

I think, it's necessary to have the ability to EASILY continue in browsing on another device without any other conditions (additional apps and/or device online). It means to have functional sync of open tabs or sending of open tab to another computer/mobile or sync history. I'm really thinking to switch back to Chrome. For me, it's much more important than colors of icons or size of adress bar. Syncing between devices is priority.
@MissyQ  I'm disappointed of bugs and promises of syncing :(

@tojtojka 

@tojtojka wrote:

@HotCakeXBut sending page using Your Phone App works only if another computer is online. I want to send page to computer (browser) which is offline. The only workaround are Favorites :-(.

Oh, well I'm curious to know, can you send web pages to other devices that are Offline, phone or computer, using Chrome?

@HotCakeX Yes, in Chrome, I can send page to another device even if device is offline - no limitation, not requiring other apps.

Annotation 2020-01-29 101055.png

Now Edge has released officially and I'm still waiting for:
- Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window (Like in Firefox, IE and many others)
- Middle Mouse Clicks to open new tabs when clicked on the tabs bar (Like in Firefox)
- Move the opened tabs to the bookmarks toolbar by just dragging them with the mouse (Like in Firefox)
- Built-in Ad-Blocker (Like in Opera)
- Built-in VPN (Like in Opera)
- Importing from Firefox (Which doesn't exists on 90% of the machines I've tried) which is a MAJOR bug!! It's basically the first step I'm going to do "when" I move to Edge !!

So I'm not moving to Edge until these are added/fixed.. and trust me I want to move to Edge because I use almost all Microsoft products including Windows Defender,OneDrive, Office 356 and more! And everything is synced into my Microsoft account! And Edge is great so far and I want it to be synced too! But not perfect since these things and more are missing!
They should be very very simple to add since they exists in Firefox like a decade and half ago... (Except for Ad-Blocker & VPN which exists in the useless Opera for years!)
But looks like Edge still have years to be "near" perfect since you guys don't care much, and until then I see 0 reasons to use it and 0 reasons to change Firefox.
This browser is slowly turning in to a joke. I was willing to give it a chance, but now it has officially released and it doesn't support something as basic as history syncing, I'm going back to Chrome.

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:
- Built-in Ad-Blocker (Like in Opera)
- Importing from Firefox (Which doesn't exists on 90% of the machines I've tried) which is a MAJOR bug!! It's basically the first step I'm going to do "when" I move to Edge !!

What's wrong with the tracking blocking in Edge? It blocks most ads as far as I can see.

I have no problems with the Firefox import. But you can't select it as an option, when you use the "import browser data" wizard? I can see that the browser import wizard only shows browsers installed on the computer.