Top Feedback Summary for January 22

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello, Insiders! We’re back with the (back to) weekly Top Feedback Summary. We actually have a ton of updates this week thanks to Stable launch feedback and skipping last week’s post.

We want to thank you all, yet again, for all the great feedback you’ve provided over the past 9 months. Everything you’ve posted and submitted through the browser has led up to this, but we aren’t done! We want you to continue to provide your personal feedback, as well as share the browser with friends and family and encourage them to let us know what they want in a browser.

Up first are two items that we have addressed this month:

• Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page – There is now an ellipses icon when you hover over a tile on the new tab page. Clicking on that will give you the option to rename it.

clipboard_image_0.png

• Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page (all channels) - You can change that setting on the new tab page by clicking the gear icon on the top right and changing the Language & content source.

clipboard_image_1.png

We encourage you to submit feedback around these features if you have thoughts on how they could be improved. We are continuing to listen and adjust our features based on your feedback.

We are excited to announce that we have two new items to add to the list! Support read aloud of PDF files and Make Edge available on Linux are both already under Planned. Additionally, we have moved Add the ability to ink on webpages from In Discussion to Planned. To reiterate, a Planned status means we don’t have a time frame for when it will be implemented, but you will see any updates around those items here first!

We have a lot of items moving from Under Review to In Discussion. The following items are all in our Discussion – Updating our interface with Fluent touches post, as they are all related to Fluent Design implementation.

• Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame
  • The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome
  • Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System
  • Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

We also have a separate thread around some tab features you are looking for as well. These two items below are in our Discussion – Set Aside Tabs and Warn on Close post. We invite you to share your experience with these in that thread.

• Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window
  • Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

Lastly, there is one thing that we wanted to mention that is not a part of this top feedback. Casting has been temporarily disabled while we work to re-enable it. As a work around, you can navigate to edge://flags/#load-media-router-component-extension, swap to Enable, and restart the browser. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we'll provide an update once this feature is enabled by default again.

Here’s the full updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Addressed

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Planned for January

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

7 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

11 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

11 weeks

Planned for January

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

22 weeks

Planned for January

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

22 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

NEW!

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

NEW!

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

10 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

12 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

12 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

20 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

22 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

22 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

22 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

17 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

18 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

20 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

22 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

22 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

22 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

17 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

22 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

22 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

22 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

22 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

20 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

22 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

22 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

22 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

22 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

22 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

20 Replies

Hi@MissyQ 

are we still going to get the features from the list that are planned to come in January? because only 8 days left of this month and the last 6 days on canary channel didn't have any new feature nor any new flags.

These items to be exact

• Enable sync of browsing history between devices
  • Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices
  • Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

fsdfsdfs.png

@MissyQ hello there. I'd like to be able to receive notifications in the background. This feature is in the old edge and google chrome. I created a post about it. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/show-notifications-in-the-background-when-the-bro... sent a review. DIAG_SUPPORT_TICKET_15325

That's really good news! Just wish you consider adding to the top feedback list this feature https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-the-epub-reader-from-edgeuwp-to-edge-chromium... which had now reached 60 likes. Thanks for the great job!

@MissyQ 

Now Edge has released officially and I'm still waiting for:
- Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window (Like in Firefox, IE and many others)
- Middle Mouse Clicks to open new tabs when clicked on the tabs bar (Like in Firefox)
- Move the opened tabs to the bookmarks toolbar by just dragging them with the mouse (Like in Firefox)
- Built-in Ad-Blocker (Like in Opera)
- Built-in VPN (Like in Opera)
- Importing from Firefox (Which doesn't exists on 90% of the machines I've tried) which is a MAJOR bug!! It's basically the first step I'm going to do "when" I move to Edge !!

So I'm not moving to Edge until these are added/fixed.. and trust me I want to move to Edge because I use almost all Microsoft products including Windows Defender,OneDrive, Office 356 and more! And everything is synced into my Microsoft account! And Edge is great so far and I want it to be synced too! But not perfect since these things and more are missing!
They should be very very simple to add since they exists in Firefox like a decade and half ago... (Except for Ad-Blocker & VPN which exists in the useless Opera for years!)
But looks like Edge still have years to be "near" perfect since you guys don't care much, and until then I see 0 reasons to use it and 0 reasons to change Firefox.

Awesome!! I can't wait for Fluent Design!

Glad to see "Support read aloud of PDF files" on the list, I hope it'll be implemented soon.

I hope these features will be available soon

- Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page 

- Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window 

:smile:

And that all PDF can open in the browser if we wish (for some, obliged to save them on the disc)

@MissyQ  Please also add "Enable sync of user defined custom searches between devices" on the list. Custom searches are powerful, and it makes little sense to NOT sync those. Users taking the time to define these most likely want them accessible on all their browser installs. 

I think it should fall under "Settings sync" category
they need to change Settings sync status to "coming soon" because it doesn't cover many Edge settings
I have more of a 'meta' request: this current system of reporting issues is unorganized madness and chaos, it's not good for anyone (MissyQ you are a trooper for doing all this, I don't know how you do it haha), Edge needs a proper public issue tracker like the 'old' Edge had, that is how this should be done. I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to use the Chromium bug tracker for Edge-specific issues, so ya, Edge needs a proper public issue tracker. Even the Feedback Hub is better than this! Since Edge already had a public issue tracker, it should be super easy to do it again
Could you please show me the link to the classic Edge's bug tracker? i'm curious to see how and where it is

@MissyQTop 3 features/issues would like to be added/fixed (not in any particular order)

• Warning when closing window - "Do you want to close all tabs?", to avoid accidentally losing work
  • Ability to open downloaded file without saving it first just like in classic Edge
  • Better UI - Squared corners in address bar and buttons, color themes.

@MissyQ Please make Business Premium accounts able to sync in Microsoft Edge. It is unaccepatble that free accounts can and who pays can't.

@MissyQ ,

Hi.  Are there plans to add Sync to Office 365 Essentials / Business Premium accounts?

I hope there will be, I just moved from Google G Suite as more and more services where becoming unavailable to those who paid for the service compared to those who don't.

@MissyQ Are there any plans for adding HEVC support to the new Chromium-based Edge? HEVC is e.g. required for playing Netflix in 4K which currently doesn't seem to work with the new Edge (tried all available channels - stable, beta, dev, canary). With "legacy" Edge that supported HEVC, Netflix worked in 4K without any problem for me.

It's a bit shame that something that's being rolled out as a replacement for old legacy Edge drops one of its best features. Feels like a downgrade. More over when it's actually advertised on the official website - "Experience 4K streaming". It must be technically possible - the beta version around November actually supported HEVC but then it vanished.

@MissyQ  Thank you for the update! Especially looking forward to the sync updates. Speaking of which, I had two questions:

1. Should I assume that "open tabs" sync across devices is included as part of the "Enable sync of browsing history between devices" workstream? I didn't explicitly see this, so was just curious.
  2. With 5 days remaining in January, are you able to give us a sense about whether or not these features will still be available by the end of the month?
All three of those items are already specifically addressed, in MissyQ's post above.

@MissyQ Thank you for the detailed communication! I've been trying to share feedback with the Edge dev team, and tried the answers.microsoft.com forum, the "Feedback" button in new Edge, and searching various posts, but now that I've found your post I see you already know about the issue, and have linked to a discussion thread about it! I'm looking forward to seeing all these issues addressed in the coming months!