Top Feedback Summary for February 11

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello, Insiders! We’re back with this week’s Top Feedback Summary. We have a couple updates that you all will be interested in.

First, we added a new item to our list! Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents is now Under Review. This feature would allow users to use the table of contents in a PDF file as an interactive feature where one can click on an item in the list and go straight to it.

We think you all will be excited to see that one of our top items has moved to In Discussion: Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge. We hope you will hop into the discussion thread to let us know how this feature was helpful for you.

That’s it for this week! We will see you next week after the President’s Day holiday here in the US.

Here’s the full updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for February

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

10 weeks

Planned for February

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

14 weeks

Planned for February

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

25 weeks

Planned for February

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

25 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

14 weeks

Planned

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

2 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

3 weeks

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

3 weeks

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

13 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

23 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

25 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

25 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

20 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

21 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

23 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

Under Review

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

NEW!

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

25 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

25 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

25 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

36 Replies

I sent you guys emails and DMs and logs and everything about several problems "specially the importing of Firefox that doesn't exists" and all you say is we will pass it to the team and all will be fixed soon, that was almost a year ago! So yeah you don't care.

"Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window" indeed is a very simply option and we all know it, It's not a Firefox exclusive feature! It was in IE and the original Edge ever since they released !!! Why didn't you add it to the new Edge is beyond me !!!
Oh what's that ? You are saying they aren't Chromium based ?? So how is it in Vivaldi, Maxthon and others Chromium based browsers ?? You mean they doing better job than you do ???

If your "Ad-Blocker" doesn't block 99% of the ads at least then it's useless, which it is.
It actually blocks none!!

Reading every messing but not replying to them OR acknowledging the problems in them as an actual problems is "not caring" in my book.

I'm not even going to mention the constant delaying of the Sync History, Extensions and Open tabs.....

Have a good day.

I wasn't going to reply to this because you just don't understand me.. This is the last time I'll argue with you.

1- All versions of Firefox and Edge, you pick whatever you like.
2- I use it .. and that's the point.. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:
3- Read the reply above.
4- Good, we need that in Edge...

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:

Importing From Firefox exists

Spoiler
1.png

2.png

3.png

6.png

5.png

4.png

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:
I wasn't going to reply to this.
This is the last time I'll argue with you.

I respectfully don't care.

@Omar-Os wrote:
1- All versions of Firefox and Edge, you pick whatever you like.
2- I use it .. and that's the point.. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:
3- Read the reply above.
4- Good, we need that in Edge...

I picked, look at the screenshots above.

about VPNs and others, I gave you facts that why they are not good. if you don't like the facts then it's your choice.

@Omar-Os 

I agree with some of your points, but you need to remember that everybody here has a different environment and different use case.  There is no one-size-fits-all.  That's why browsers like Vivaldi exist, to cater to a very specific group. 

I personally manage browser security (amongst many other things) at a company with 8000 workstations and 1500 servers.  Keeping everything working and everybody happy is a big job, especially when I need to support every major browser.

There are many features that exist in Chrome/Firefox/Opera etc. that should also exist in Edge, just to satisfy the user's expectations.  We don't want people to try Edge and then move back to another browser because of a stupid minor issue. 

On your comments:

• Confirmation on closing multiple tabs is definitely needed.
  • Middle mouse clicks - I don't think many people even know this exists, let alone have a mouse with a middle button
  • Dragging to the bookmarks bar - only advanced firefox users will know about this one
  • Ad-blocker - Edge's built in blocker is WAY BETTER than the other browsers, and the privacy dashboard is great.  There are 100 plugins available if you want something more granular. 
  • VPN - The last thing I want is my users opening VPN sessions to third party servers, in order to circumvent our internal security.  Opera is the only browser to support this, with 2% market share.  There are many other missing features with a higher priority, and I definitely want a policy to disable it, should it ever be introduced.
  • Firefox importing - I agree that it doesn't always find Firefox profiles to import, but this is something that is difficult to reproduce.  If it finds the profile, importing is perfect.

No browser is perfect, but Edge has a strong community with a lot of good ideas.  I'm personally pushing the Edge Dev Team for a ton of missing management policies, which are no use to home users.  Its for them to decide where their priorities are, and which features should be added first.

It's good to be specific when things like Firefox import doesn't work.

I asked him multiple times but he didn't give me any specific version.

if Firefox import doesn't work for you, could you mention which version of Edge and Firefox you tried on?

right now at this moment, on latest version of both browsers, try it and see if it works. I did, multiple times on different machines and it worked every time.

so you do the same and report back

@MissyQ  "Features on this list are added on based on the number of feedback we receive through the Send feedback tool in the browser. This is something I have seen around social a lot, though (even before the garbled text issue we recently saw). I'll chat with the team, but can't guarantee anything. :)"

I understand, and it makes sense.  I'll post a new explanation of both the "wimpy font" issue and the "Whack-a-Mole" favorites menu issue over the next few days and suggest to the people who have been posting about this issue over the last 6-9 months that they need to submit formal feedback through the feedback tool to get Microsoft's attention. 

Enough people might be concerned about one or the other elevate the issues to a "to do" list, or the issues might not be important enough for Microsoft to do any further work.  Either way we will gain some insight.

@Omar-Os The VPN will probably not be build-in in the the browser. I think there is a VPN already in the Windows 10 OS.

Please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20510/windows-10-connect-to-vpn

Warn on Close (Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window) has been Under Discussion for 21 weeks now (and Requested ever since the first test version), which is one of the most ridiculous things ever. All we want is an option to turn it on, and it's a simple flippin' warning dialog box! Just what exactly is there to discuss for months about this simple feature that many of us consider to be crucial (and really ought to have been present from the very beginning, along with an option for Don't Close Window when Closing Last Tab)? Despite all the pretence it's no wonder the Edge Dev team is accused of not caring about its users... After all, if a simple dialog box can't be added then what's the point even requesting any other feature that's remotely more complex?

@HotCakeX  I know it's a matter of opinion and a different case for each person but I def agree. One of the things I love about Chrome is being able to sign in with my Google account on a new install and have all of my extesnsions start installing, and even appear in the same order (up on the right side of the address bar).

History is something I never really even think about. I rarely use history, instead get to websites by using either the address bar and typing the first few letters or the bookmarks bar. So I'm really glad to see that extensions syncing is coming this month. I wonder if it will cover extensions installed from the Chrome Web Store though? I got all the extensions I could that I use from the Edge Extension Store of course but there are just a few not in the Edge store I had to get from Chrome Web Store. Mainly Nord VPN extension, and FrankerFaceZ (a extension for enhancing the twitch.tv site). 

@MissyQ 

How about adding a keyboard equivalent, i.e. <alt>FE that takes a link and drops it into Outlook, just like how Firefox does it, and how I.E. used to do it! 

@matt_bits 

@matt_bits wrote:

The VPN will probably not be build-in in the the browser. I think there is a VPN already in the Windows 10 OS.

Please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20510/windows-10-connect-to-vpn

It's VPN support, not VPN (i.e VPN connectivity, VPN server, user/pass etc)

All OSes have VPN protocols support more or less. IOS, OSX, Windows, Android, Linux etc.

@sean8102 

Spoiler

@sean8102 wrote:

@HotCakeX  I know it's a matter of opinion and a different case for each person but I def agree. One of the things I love about Chrome is being able to sign in with my Google account on a new install and have all of my extesnsions start installing, and even appear in the same order (up on the right side of the address bar).

History is something I never really even think about. I rarely use history, instead get to websites by using either the address bar and typing the first few letters or the bookmarks bar. So I'm really glad to see that extensions syncing is coming this month. I wonder if it will cover extensions installed from the Chrome Web Store though? I got all the extensions I could that I use from the Edge Extension Store of course but there are just a few not in the Edge store I had to get from Chrome Web Store. Mainly Nord VPN extension, and FrankerFaceZ (a extension for enhancing the twitch.tv site). 

It's not a matter of opinion but a matter of security of user data.

in the discussion for Google integration, I posted comments and proofs about it, even posted a solution that we can all be happy with, a secure and controlled way to add Google integration :)

Please, How about just telling us WHY... there are no updates. For anything.
Today they released Insider fast ring build for Windows 10, new app icons for Store apps, new Canary update. today is a good day :D

@MissyQ  When will copy-paste work in SharePoint?  Always have to go back to IE to get this to work.

@FedeDiLo 

It's not necessary. Edge was a browser. for an actual E-book reader, use Calibre

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/use-calibre-e-book-manager-free-to-read-your-epub...