Top feedback summary for December 3

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello everyone, we took a break last week but we’re ready with a new update to the top feedback this week.

First, there’s some trending new feedback this week about favorites sync issues. For most the symptom is that favorites are simply not syncing, a known issue which we’re working on at the highest priority. Others are reporting that deleted favorites are reappearing, or that duplicate favorites are showing up. We believe these are symptoms of the same known issue so for now we’re tracking them together on this list. We expect to address them as soon as possible this month.

Next up, some other new plans:

• In direct response to your feedback we are planning to add the ability to keep cookies for specific sites when you’re clearing cookies. We’ll start a conversation here soon to help us better understand the problem and potential solutions.
  • We expect the ability to change the location for news on the New Tab Page to arrive in January
  • An option for a share button in the toolbar is planned, though we’re not ready to set an expected date just yet.

Meanwhile, some of our planned changes for November didn’t quite come in on time. We now believe that better handling of links for multiple profiles and search in the extension store will come in December, whereas the ability to change the title of New Tab Page tiles is now expected in January.

Finally, there’s one topic which we’re putting back in this list. In September we shipped the ability for users to limit or block autoplay via settings. Unfortunately, after several bug reports and some investigation, it turns out that the “block” functionality in the browser didn’t actually block autoplay and we turned this feature off in mid-October. We still want to ship a great autoplay experience that includes full block and granular control over what sites can and cannot autoplay, but don’t want to roll out a broken experience in the meantime. We’re sorry for the confusion and takeback, and hope to have things working well sometime next year.

Here’s the full updated list of feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for December

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

New

Planned for December

(Previously November)

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

15 weeks

Planned for December

(Previously November)

Enable search in the extensions store

15 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

4 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

4 weeks

Planned for January

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

13 weeks

Planned for January

(Previously November)

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

15 weeks

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

3 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

5 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

13 weeks

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

15 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

15 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

15 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

5 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

10 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

10 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

11 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

13 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

15 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

15 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

15 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

15 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

13 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

15 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

15 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

15 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

15 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

15 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

80 Replies

It's good that you guys are giving Sync issues the highest priority, it's directly related to user data so it's very important.

but please also add Acrylic style theme to the list too, make the UI and the title bar transparent/Acrylic like in Edge classic, it's the best theme for Edge.

Isn't it already under review?
Please, this feature request hit 40+ likes.
Consider adding that to the top feedback https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Add-the-epub-reader-from-EdgeUWP-to-Edge-Chromium...
Oh right lol
i searched through the page for "Acrylic" but i couldn't find it thought they removed it. transparency will do too :)

@David Rubino 

Hi David,

are you aware that the issue about the virtual keyboard (SIP) not auto-invoking in text-fields (except new tab page) on Windows tablets is still present? See https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1022295 for more details. 

Could one of you guys please help out the chromium developers since this is clearly related to a known bug in the TSF core, thanks. 

Still missing important features for tablet users on the feedback summary: 

• The virtual keyboard (SIP) doesn't auto-invoke when using the pen/stylus, neither in addressbar nor in any text-fields
  • The experimental fullscreen-dropdown of the browser-frame (tabs and addressbar) only works with mouse and pen, but not with finger touch
  • Ability to sort favorites with drag and drop when using pen or finger (enabling edge://flags/#enable-touch-drag-drop crashes the browser)

Best regards

Please consider adding Download and History button to the toolbar as well.
I want this Grammarly feature; Show definitions and synonyms via double clicks (all sites).
I have seen this feature in the current version of Microsoft Edge but it is missing in Chromium version.

@ImRan420 

@ImRan420 wrote:
I want this Grammarly feature; Show definitions and synonyms via double clicks (all sites).
I have seen this feature in the current version of Microsoft Edge but it is missing in Chromium version.

double clicks don't work like that for me in Edge classic.

also right-click only has these options. 

Annotation 2019-12-04 115523.png

@David Rubino 

There is still an issue sending feedback screenshots with the Smiley, I get a black screen now when I didn't in the past.

Nice to see PDF support is being worked on, I really hope this will be ready for the Jan 15 release.  There are still a lot of missing features - toolbar buttons not visible, no search bar, no support for certificates or complex forms...

@David Rubino 

Hello

Possible to correct/add these points ?

1 - Re add option to disable the immersive reader in edge://flags/

2 - Since several versions of Canary, with each opening of the browser, it is first the about: blank url before having the right url (it slows down navigation)
The problem does not appear if Edge is already open (and the new page opens in a new tab

3 - Always display bugs in text frames or clickable buttons of some sites (not present with other chromium browser)

test.giftest.gif

Thanks for your great work

@David Rubino 

Hello

For Favorites present in the favorites button, he had been asked to have favorites like IE or Edge classic

current Canary : 

Canary.PNG

IE / Edge classic : 

IE.PNG

and I had seen that it will be "put" in Canary

An idea of when will it be done ?

Thanks so much

@Tom_Fox 

@Tom_Fox wrote:

@David Rubino 

There is still an issue sending feedback screenshots with the Smiley, I get a black screen now when I didn't in the past.

Nice to see PDF support is being worked on, I really hope this will be ready for the Jan 15 release.  There are still a lot of missing features - toolbar buttons not visible, no search bar, no support for certificates or complex forms...

I figured out that the problem with backness in the place of screenshot when trying to send a feedback using smiley button is only limited to 1 user profile inside Edge.

there have been times when my personal profile had that problem but when i created a new profile, the problem was gone.

i hope this helps devs identify the issue.

also if i'm not mistaken, the Edge beta/Release candidate (ver 79) is feature-locked now.

Just an FYI: the Learn More link for "Support themes from the Chrome Web Store" takes you to the two finger scrolling bug.

@Neon01 @David Rubino 

They should be. 

I showed them the bug at Ignite about a month ago.

I did file a chromium bug on it too https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1024486#

Besides from that we still miss the yellow folders, epub, set aside and the rest of the functions from Edge. The functions that will this Edge into something else than a chrome clone

@matsmcp 

"Besides from that we still miss the yellow folders, epub, set aside and the rest of the functions from Edge.", Mat.

It does become more & more concerning & worrisome as the clock continues to tick away... "Beware the ides of January". 

Cheers,
Drew

Why can't you just add support for other search providers on the New Tab page? Is it not as simple as it seems? You've got a great thing going here but forcing people to use Bing will drive people away from Edge. Please don't make the same mistake you did with the previous Edge.

@jraff 

Although, the SE cannot be changed on the NTP (good thing Bing is so good) BUT... I can be changed to a preferred choice in the Address Bar. One can, also, make the Start-up page be whatever desired.  Searching there rather than turning to the NTP and Bing, no matter how good it is.

SEs.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

It's a shame because I and countless others love the look of the NTP, including the Bing News and Image of the day. I wish I could just search with Google and not lose all the NTP features. :pensive_face:

@Drew1903 , @matsmcp 

Re: Yellow Folders 

About a month back, I took a screenshot of Old Edge / New Edge / Chrome for comparison, and to my eyes, actual CHROME looks more like Old Edge than New Edge does. (Tell me I'm wrong... see below!)

Are yellow folders so hard to implement? The Favorites Bar just looks so drab and unfinished without the color. I'm flabbergasted that "Open all (52) favorites in a new window" is a feature that made the cut but yellow folders still haven't.

Unfortunately, the longer I use the new Edge, the more I'm getting used to it. The overall look does seem to be consistent with the theme of the Windows 10 task bar in dark mode, when you keep the task bar on the top like I do.

clipboard_image_0.png

Lastly, I had this thought: Since the only people, more or less, who used old Edge frequently were us Microsoft fanboys and other insiders, and the idea is to have this new version gain widespread adoption, maybe emulating the look of the Old Edge really isn't the best idea in the world, ya know?

Edge.vs.Chrome.jpg