Top feedback summary for December 3

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello everyone, we took a break last week but we’re ready with a new update to the top feedback this week.

First, there’s some trending new feedback this week about favorites sync issues. For most the symptom is that favorites are simply not syncing, a known issue which we’re working on at the highest priority. Others are reporting that deleted favorites are reappearing, or that duplicate favorites are showing up. We believe these are symptoms of the same known issue so for now we’re tracking them together on this list. We expect to address them as soon as possible this month.

Next up, some other new plans:

• In direct response to your feedback we are planning to add the ability to keep cookies for specific sites when you’re clearing cookies. We’ll start a conversation here soon to help us better understand the problem and potential solutions.
  • We expect the ability to change the location for news on the New Tab Page to arrive in January
  • An option for a share button in the toolbar is planned, though we’re not ready to set an expected date just yet.

Meanwhile, some of our planned changes for November didn’t quite come in on time. We now believe that better handling of links for multiple profiles and search in the extension store will come in December, whereas the ability to change the title of New Tab Page tiles is now expected in January.

Finally, there’s one topic which we’re putting back in this list. In September we shipped the ability for users to limit or block autoplay via settings. Unfortunately, after several bug reports and some investigation, it turns out that the “block” functionality in the browser didn’t actually block autoplay and we turned this feature off in mid-October. We still want to ship a great autoplay experience that includes full block and granular control over what sites can and cannot autoplay, but don’t want to roll out a broken experience in the meantime. We’re sorry for the confusion and takeback, and hope to have things working well sometime next year.

Here’s the full updated list of feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for December

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

New

Planned for December

(Previously November)

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

15 weeks

Planned for December

(Previously November)

Enable search in the extensions store

15 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

4 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

4 weeks

Planned for January

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

13 weeks

Planned for January

(Previously November)

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

15 weeks

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

3 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

5 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

13 weeks

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

15 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

15 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

15 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

5 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

10 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

10 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

11 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

13 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

15 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

15 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

15 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

15 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

15 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

13 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

15 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

15 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

15 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

15 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

15 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

80 Replies

@HotCakeX this. Its not about the tabs. The web page starts to become clunky and move around when scrolling up or down with a track pad. 

@asipoftea 

@asipoftea wrote:

@HotCakeX this. Its not about the tabs. The web page starts to become clunky and move around when scrolling up or down with a track pad. 

Yeah exactly

If you 'love ... Bing News and the image of the day' (which both come from Bing and not Google) why don't you give Bing a proper try instead of believing Google is always better?

I have gradually shown most of my clients that they can find everything they want much more easily and quickly with a few clicks and searches on Bing, without having to trawl through all the pinned adverts associated with the same content on Google. Currently the Microsoft Points tally up quite nicely from every Bing Search too!
I'm sure Bing is great, and I may give it a try. However, you can't expect every other lay user to just start using Bing, people like Google and are resistant to change. More people would use edge if they'd just allow us to use our own search engine for the NTP. I know that some people only use DuckDuckGo for privacy reasons, would it be more user-friendly to just add the option?

It's REALLY easy to prefer Bing. It's very impressive and offers a lot! And more cool things are coming to it all the time. It has many very helpful tools and abilities, indeed! And what it does it does well (and better) and in nice(r), appealing ways.

Cheers,
Drew

@HotCakeX Regarding Microsoft providing more non-US based content...

I think Microsoft is getting much better at supporting non-US markets. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned Microsoft offer some of the best UK-English services compared with the likes of Apple and Google.

A small example - using Microsoft's SwiftKey keyboard on my main Android mobile works a treat, but using 'UK English' with G-Board on my spare Android phone results in American English spellings being suggested before UK English ones. This is really frustrating, not to mention making life difficult for those learning English in the UK. 

I believe the cultural differences in language are very important, and have noticed particularly recently that things are beginning to slip, often reading 'traveling' instead of 'travelling' or 'spelled' instead of 'spelt.'   (I accept that language changes all the time, and that English of all variants is particularly fluid, or perhaps it is my age making me more sensitive than I should be?)

The same applies to Apple as well - the news app on my MacBook is horrendously America-centric, whereas the Microsoft News App can be tailored to suit the UK and even provide news from local newspapers too.

The address bar can be set to any SE. There is no real need to be relying on, using or depending on NTP exclusively, for searching.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

@jraff 

@jraff wrote:
I'm sure Bing is great, and I may give it a try. However, you can't expect every other lay user to just start using Bing, people like Google and are resistant to change. More people would use edge if they'd just allow us to use our own search engine for the NTP. I know that some people only use DuckDuckGo for privacy reasons, would it be more user-friendly to just add the option?

Yeah I want to use DuckDuckGo and i want the NTP to get DuckDuckGo's theme when i switch my search engine to it. Google chrome exactly does this. you know what this means? Google, the number 1 search engine in the world, is letting people change the search engine of their Chrome browser to something else, so why Microsoft shouldn't let this happen!

Spoiler
@Drew1903 wrote:

It's REALLY easy to prefer Bing. It's very impressive and offers a lot! And more cool things are coming to it all the time. It has many very helpful tools and abilities, indeed! And what it does it does well (and better) and in nice(r), appealing ways.

Bing sucks at search results and crawling sites that use non-English languages and locales.

Bing, just like the majority of Microsoft products, are optimized for US only.

Sent from Android mobile

@Graham-STMC 

Spoiler

@Graham-STMC wrote:

@HotCakeX Regarding Microsoft providing more non-US based content...

I think Microsoft is getting much better at supporting non-US markets. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned Microsoft offer some of the best UK-English services compared with the likes of Apple and Google.

A small example - using Microsoft's SwiftKey keyboard on my main Android mobile works a treat, but using 'UK English' with G-Board on my spare Android phone results in American English spellings being suggested before UK English ones. This is really frustrating, not to mention making life difficult for those learning English in the UK. 

I believe the cultural differences in language are very important, and have noticed particularly recently that things are beginning to slip, often reading 'traveling' instead of 'travelling' or 'spelled' instead of 'spelt.'   (I accept that language changes all the time, and that English of all variants is particularly fluid, or perhaps it is my age making me more sensitive than I should be?)

The same applies to Apple as well - the news app on my MacBook is horrendously America-centric, whereas the Microsoft News App can be tailored to suit the UK and even provide news from local newspapers too.

UK don't really count because they are using English as well :)

Swiftkey on Android is probably the only Microsoft product that has full multilingual support and even supports all the rare locales, dialects etc.

the majority of the world speak other languages natively. in Europe, English is no more the dominant language since UK left EU.

apart from US and UK, there are 200 other countries that should be paid attention to.

Even Bing rewards differ hugely when you compare UK with US rewards, the rest of the world have less reward options to choose from and less ways to earn points.

Sent from Android mobile

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:
The address bar can be set to any SE. There is no real need to be relying on, using or depending on NTP exclusively, for searching.

But NTP search bar is still there, your point would be valid if we had an option to remove the NTP search bar completely so users wouldn't worry about what search engine the NTP uses :)

Sent from Android mobile

@Graham-STMC 

Graham, I'll agree.  Certainly, it's excellent (& easy) the local, provincial & national focus we have in Canada.  Doesn't matter how physically close, still, non-US.  Anyway, it is true it is better than back in the day, by a long shot. One can, also, notice that the coverage or support is wider out-of-the-box... used to be regions & languages tended to expand after release.  Now, there are (heaps) more at release time.  And, yes, there are more than ever & that keeps growing, will keep growing.

It's self-defeating & counter-productive for people to have available internet and not in a language they know.  Or can't talk to Cortana due to a language barrier; Supposed to be in the name of communication.  And if ones OS is in a certain language, certainly want the browser the same way, too.

I will repeat something, though... When MS is doing lab work on betas, testing, stuff will be US-centric & (US) English; at least at the onset... that may expand, even, whilst (still) in beta.

Cheers,
Drew

Bing and Cortana are not in Beta though, they have been around for years,
Edge insider supports +90 languages fortunately

Sent from Android mobile

@Drew1903 @HotCakeX Fair points.  I am aware more people in the world speak Spanish or Chinese than English.  Microsoft is a US based company, it is fair to expect that their products and services are initially produced and developed in US English, but it does seem to be a cultural hang-up of the US in general, possibly linked to current political leadership, that the US focuses on its own navel first.  In the UK there are campaigns to keep Welsh and Gaelic (Scottish) alive. Let's hope that with more involvement from insiders more services featuring cultural variations and languages will be supported in time.

Yeah we can only hope, we're saying it because we care about Microsoft services.
and not all products are suffering from US centric localization. there is only Cortana (voice/text commands) and Bing I think. though Bing has improved greatly overtime.

@Drew1903 

@HotCakeX 

They actually promised to put the yellow ones back - it's in an older thread.

If their guidelines says that white on white is a good idea for people with reduced eyesight - the should fix the broken guideline instead of producing very bad user experience 

You're referring to the favorites folder color, right?

@tistou wrote:

@David Rubino 

Hello

Possible to correct/add these points ?

1 - Re add option to disable the immersive reader in edge://flags/

2 - Since several versions of Canary, with each opening of the browser, it is first the about: blank url before having the right url (it slows down navigation)
The problem does not appear if Edge is already open (and the new page opens in a new tab

3 - Always display bugs in text frames or clickable buttons of some sites (not present with other chromium browser)

test.giftest.gif

Thanks for your great work

Hello

An idea of when it will be corrected (2 and 3) ?

Will the 1 be added (as before) ?

Thanks

@David Rubino I have two suggestions regarding the PDF reader.

First, I think the browser should have page "Page Tab" where we can see all the pages.

Second, the rotation mechanism should be enhanced: I cannot rotate only 1 page in case it had the wrong orientation. If rotation is applied on one page, all the pages rotate similarly. I think the behavior should be when all pages selected then all the pages rotate.

@David Rubino Can you guys add the search engine sync function?

Everytime I reinstall the browser, I have to edit the search engine from the beginning, it was a nightmare.