Top Feedback Summary for August 5

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Greetings, Insiders! In today’s update, we are moving a couple of items around, so let’s jump into it!

First up, y’all may have already noticed that we implemented tab preview in Canary, and we’re updating the status of Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge to Planned! Once we know more on when we expect this to roll out further, we’ll update the status for the month we expect to see it out. Also moving to Planned is Some web page fonts are blurry. We’re still working on different aspects of this, and will provide a better timeline on when we expect this to be addressed at a later time.

Additionally, we are considering Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge as addressed via an alternative: search in sidebar. Maryam posted a detailed thread on how this feature works a few months ago when we introduced it. Please head over to that thread to see what we implemented and drop some feedback for the team! (In addition to this update, we've added Alternative Addressed to the Status definitions below the list of feedback items.)

We are constantly looking to adjust our decisions based on feedback. On this forum, some users have asked that we track vertical tabs coming. While we are still having discussions on the team about this, we wanted to bring to light that some users started to notice vertical tabs appearing. Once we decide on vertical tabs showing up on this list, we’ll for sure provide an update here.

Lastly, don’t agree with a decision we made? That’s okay, we want to know more about why! Submit feedback directly through the browser to let us know your thoughts. You can do this via Alt+Shift+I on Windows PCs, menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback on all PCs, and through the menu > Send feedback on our mobile apps.

Here’s the updated list for this week:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Alternative Addressed

(See the alternative)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

50 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

25 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

39 weeks

Planned

Enable customers to pin sites to Start Menu in Windows

1 week

Planned

Enable automatic generation of strong passwords

7 weeks

Planned

Support two-page layout in PDF reader

7 weeks

Planned

Edge launches with previous session’s tabs when “On startup” setting is set to “Open a new tab”

7 weeks

Planned

Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list 

8 weeks

Planned

Add "text notes" feature to PDF files

12 weeks

Planned

Some web page fonts are blurry

13 weeks

Planned

Voice search on google.com doesn’t work

14 weeks

Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

17 weeks

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

22 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

28 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

40 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

50 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

50 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

50 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

50 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

50 weeks

Alternative Planned
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

50 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

45 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

48 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

50 weeks

Under Review

Restore tabs if Edge or the OS is restarted for any reason

1 week

Under Review

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

17 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

Not planned

(See the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

43 weeks

Not Planned
(Read the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

47 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels.

Alternative Addressed – Alternative changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels.

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

Alternative Planned - We don’t currently plan to directly address this feedback; however, we are working on addressing this in the form of a new feature.

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Highlighter tool for PDF files

21 weeks

July 15, 2020

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

(Read the discussion)

11 weeks

June 24, 2020

Support read aloud of PDF files

20 weeks

June 9, 2020

Edge cannot find devices to cast media (Learn more)

16 weeks

May 19, 2020

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

21 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

33 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

23 Replies
Explain the process of feedback through alt+shift+I, the explanation can help in building the faith in people, that you are listening through that also, otherwise we will think of giving feedback only through conversations, so if you explain this in detail, ppl will start using that alt+shift+I.

Thank you

@MissyQ are the flags enabled by default for Tab previews?

@Rohit Yadav 

You need to turn these flags on..

Annotation 2020-07-31 114140.jpg

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile I enabled these flags recently. Thought if there is a different set of flags or experience.

Is the sidebar search only available with Bing search engine?? or even google supports it?

@MissyQ 
You must be joking for now adding "Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window" till now!!! What are you doing this whole time for 45 weeks??
Even syncing history isn't available yet or importing from Firefox.....

apparently the microsoft team dedicated to Edge development has only a few members, it's really annoying. They have been delaying features for months, I think they should not have been released the browser in first place with such a lacking and incomplete user experience.

Edit: summer is almost gone

@cazafurcias42 

According to the information, Summer term ends at Sep'22, so you should wait for more time,

For me personally, Edge is good and never felt incomplete user experience, Whatever features they bring it adds up to my experience.

So you should wait until Sep'22 

Thank you:)

@cazafurcias42Exactly! 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:
I think we all should just ignore MS Edge for a couple of years until they really finish it.

My bad, it's SEP'22 2020, I forgot to mention year, I thought you will understand but okay....

@Deleted 
You think by the end of next month they will add all features in this list and fix every problem? LMAO

@MissyQ 

Thank you for sharing.

In case of Cortana feature which there is alternative for it, I am also looking forward to have some smart way of searching like if we select name of city, it shows location, weather , etc.

In case we case we select word which is in different language, it show meaning and translate it and other smart ways of doing search.

I get your point, the thing is that edge development really feels like a mess from my perspective. For example, the integration with other platforms is incoherent, not only is the lack of syncing and PDF content navigation but features that still exists in iOS but have been deprecated in Windows like Reading List, or the possibility to send tabs from iOS to Windows (still buggy) but not in the opposite direction. All these are features already available with other browsers, and most of them have much less visibility than the Microsoft browser. Also, there is a big bug in iOS where the request for location persist enabled even when you close the tab that was requesting the location in first place. All these bugs are frustrating because I really like the browser cleanliness and overall design, but are not in line with Microsoft reputation.
So are you not planning to include any of the other Cortana features into the new Edge? Like where she recommends better deals on shopping sites or finds other news articles similar to the one you're reading?

I should never have expected the Edge team to make anything useful out of this browser :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Yeah, I expect that maybe they will be able to add all these features by the end of 2022. And at that rate, they might be able to make a good browser by 2025.

@martinnn Cortana has been phased out of the consumer side and is mostly going to be a Office 365 AI. I don't think the Edge team can do anything about it unfortunately. Not even sure if Cortana is even  able to do a lot of the old stuff anymore. 

@MissyQ  @josh_bodner 

Is Sidebar Search still on a very slow controlled feature release then? or US English only? 
We've yet to see it show up here on any Dev or Canary Edge across loads of machines :(

It was in May you said this:
"You can expect to see sidebar begin to roll out in Microsoft Edge Dev and Canary channels very soon!"

What's considered "Very Soon"?

Also what is the status and priority being given to History and Tab Sync? For such an important feature (especially for parity with Chrome, and the push with Mobile Edge) it seems unbelievable this has languished unmentioned for almost a year!

@MissyQ @josh_bodner

Re-upping this. Still isn't showing up on any machine for me :(