Top Feedback Summary for April 7

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Greetings, Insiders! Welcome to the first full week of April! We’re excited to close out a couple more items, as well as bring a few new ones to this list.

First up, the newly Addressed! Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo is now in our Dev channel. Here’s how you can try it out:

• On the new tab page, click the settings icon (gear) on the top right
  • Select Custom
  • Select Your own image
  • Click the upload icon next to Remove
  • Note: You can only upload a .jpeg, .jpg, or .png file as your image.

image of settings for the new tab pageimage of settings for the new tab page

Let us know what you think! We know this has been something the community has asked us to implement for a while now and we’re really excited to be bringing this to you all.

Our other Addressed item this week, Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close, is also something we know the community has wanted. Starting today in Dev, when you navigate to edge://settings/privacy and click on Choose what to clear every time you close the browser, you will see several options you can toggle now.

images of the privacy settings for clearing browsing dataimages of the privacy settings for clearing browsing data

When you click on the option for Cookies and other site data you can add in specific sites to not clear on exit. This will help you keep the cookies you want while ensuring the ones you don’t want are removed on exit of the browser. Think we’re missing something in this list? Let us know via the feedback tool! As you are aware, the team is always reviewing that feedback to help refine decisions we’ve made.

Now for the new items! There are a couple of issues we’ve seen reports of that we are now adding to this list to keep track of. MSA profile picture is not updating is being added under Planned. Mouse cursor sometimes disappears is an item we now have listed In Discussion. The team is currently investigating reports for both of these. If you happen to notice your cursor disappearing while using a touch pad or see a generic profile picture when you have a profile picture set, please submit feedback through the browser including full diagnostics. This will massively help the team out with their investigations. We’ll provide updates on both of these as we get them.

Lastly, a popular item requested has been Add ability to close tabs via double-click and we’re adding it to Under Review. As with the other items, we’ll provide updates for this as the team discusses and reviews.

If you made it this far, you’re probably wondering why we haven’t mentioned something about the new tab page items we marked as Addressed last week. We provided an update to that, and we’re still talking with the team to address the questions you’ve raised. Once that’s finalized, we will provide that information over in last week’s top feedback thread. We absolutely appreciate your patience around this.

Here’s this week’s updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

21 weeks

Addressed

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

33 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

22 weeks

Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

NEW!

Planned

Some users lose their favorites on update to Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

5 weeks

Planned

Highlighter tool for PDF files

8 weeks

Planned

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

8 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

10 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

11 weeks

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

11 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

23 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

33 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

33 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

33 weeks

In Discussion

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

NEW!

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

28 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

29 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

31 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

33 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

33 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

33 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

33 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

33 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

33 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

33 weeks

Under Review

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

NEW!

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

61 Replies

Hello@MissyQ thanks for the screenshots, that really was helpful :)

I hope the remaining items that were listed as "addressed" last week get solved too,

like this:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-31/m-p/1269041/hig...

And

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-31/m-p/1268868/hig...

And

"Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page"

@MissyQ Is it possible to add support for gifs in the NTP? For example I might want a 10 second fireplace gif during the Christmas time or something else like that.

@MissyQ Hello, may we get an option to scale the huge address bar, and tabs in MS Edge Chromium? Something like the compact option in Firefox would be awesome.

Thank you for your time.

@MissyQ  The option to add one's own picture to the NTP is superb! Here's a photo of the beach that I took a while back.

Dan_AI4GK_0-1586310647308.png

Still no scrollable tab bar? Why!?

@tclark77 

Edge UI is not huge...

probably people using chrome UI too much makes Edge UI bigger because Chrome's UI is abnormally small and it makes Edge UI which is the Right side, look bigger.

I don't think you're using a smaller screen than 13 inches which is what I'm using on a laptop and it still looks just right..

@HotCakeX Thanks for the reply.

I've been using Firefox with much success, and you're right I'm not on a screen that size. I'm on a 4K monitor.

tclark77_0-1586344970731.png

Here you can see the new Edge on top of Firefox. Comparing the back arrows you can see how Firefox compact mode uses much less screen space than the new Edge Chromium does. Not only taking up more space at the bottom, but the wasted screen space above the tab at the top.

@tclark77 

here is a 1080p resolution screen, Firefox 76 beta and Edge Canary 83.

the look the same in terms of size.

gfdgdg.png

the UI in both browsers are default sizes.

also Edge when in full screen mode, looks like this which is even more compact. no unused space at top.

gfdgd.png

@HotCakeXIf they can remove the wasted space above the tab in full screen then they should be able to remove the wasted space in non-full screen as well.

And in your screen shot they are not exactly the same size, the new edge is still pushing the bottom of the UI further down into the content.

My screenshot was Firefox 76.0b1 64 and Edge Version 80.0.361.111.

I'm on a 3840x2160 resolution screen 27inch desktop monitor.

I'm happy yours look similar, but as you can see from my previous screenshot mine do not.

And I can find no option, nor extension to get it similar; therefore, I shall just continue to use Firefox as it is consistently able to use less screen space. Thank you.

@tclark77 

Spoiler

@tclark77 wrote:

@HotCakeXIf they can remove the wasted space above the tab in full screen then they should be able to remove the wasted space in non-full screen as well.

And in your screen shot they are not exactly the same size, the new edge is still pushing the bottom of the UI further down into the content.

My screenshot was Firefox 76.0b1 64 and Edge Version 80.0.361.111.

I'm on a 3840x2160 resolution screen 27inch desktop monitor.

I'm happy yours look similar, but as you can see from my previous screenshot mine do not.

And I can find no option, nor extension to get it similar; therefore, I shall just continue to use Firefox as it is consistently able to use less screen space. Thank you.

You're welcome,

alright you use Firefox, no problem :)

that difference between Firefox and Edge UI in my screenshot is 2 or 3 pixels and negligible. there is no reason that Edge should be the same size as Firefox.

the difference between Firefox and Edge UI on your system could be related to DPI, Windows scaling, your GPU config etc, can't be sure without access to your setup.

I'm on a 22 inches monitor. scaling on Windows 10 settings is set to 100% recommended.

Microsoft Edge Version 83.0.478.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Firefox 76.0b2 (64-bit)

in your Firefox, go to the "customize" from the menu, then make sure density is set to normal.

fdsfds.png

also it would be more accurate if you took the screenshot like me, a side by side comparison, snap Firefox to the right and snap Edge window to the left, or vice versa.

@HotCakeXHere ya go:

tclark77_0-1586347890378.png

With them snapped to the screen edges it made no difference.

And no I'm not setting my density to normal, because that was my whole request in the first place! To add a compact option to Edge similar to the option in Firefox!

I'm starting to think you just like arguing.

@tclark77 

Spoiler

@tclark77 wrote:

@HotCakeXHere ya go:

tclark77_0-1586347890378.png

With them snapped to the screen edges it made no difference.

And no I'm not setting my density to normal, because that was my whole request in the first place! To add a compact option to Edge similar to the option in Firefox!

I'm starting to think you just like arguing.

I don't like arguing pal, it's just what you said got me confused and misled.

I clearly and explicitly told you that in my screenshot everything was set to normal and default for the UI sizes but you said:

fdsfsfs.png

you can't find no option to get it similar? well of course you can, it's the density option...

@HotCakeXSorry for any confusion I may have caused.

And no I cannot find any option to make Edge look like compact Firefox. It is a missing feature that Firefox currently has, and the new Chrome Edge does not. Thus my request to have a compact option in Edge similar to that of Firefox.

@MissyQ Is there any reason that the number of new tab links is limited to 7? How big a job would it be to have, say, two rows? And the Add a Site link could be set apart as a separate link, perhaps?

Thanks,

Dan

@MissyQ 

Would it be possible to get an update on some of the in discussion items like the ones that have been on the list for 33 weeks?  The one for run/open/save is really a killer, and folks switching from previous Microsoft browsers are not impressed in my experience.

@MissyQ  

A follow-up to the previous issue I've reported, (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-31/m-p/1278898/hig...) it's partially fixed as mentioned but there is a new issue.

The on start-up "continue where you left off" (edge://settings/onStartup) setting conflicts with opening 2 or more sites installed as apps (PWAs).

Reproduce:
1. Open 2 "sites installed as app" (Discord and YouTube in my case) along with Edge
2. Open a few tabs in Edge (any websites)
3. Close Edge first without closing the individual tabs or any of the 2 PWAs
5. Reopen Edge

Issue: You'll find that all the previously open tabs are all lost, not at all what I was expecting. 

I've sent in some feedback along with browser data using the in-built tool, hopefully the team could get fix this issue completely. Many thanks for the communication, it's much appreciated.

@MissyQ 

This feature is indicated as adressed 

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

I don't have this option in the latest version of Canary

Thanks

@tistou 

you mean its gone in canary? we use it since 79 stable

@Joachim_T 

Yes, I never had this option with Canary