Top Feedback Summary for April 21

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Greetings, Insiders! This week is huge as we promote our 84 build into Dev. This means more opportunities for feedback, so please keep it coming! If you’re new to our Insider builds (or Microsoft Edge in general), you can submit feedback by hitting the message icon in the top right corner, navigating to the . . . menu > Help & feedback > Send feedback, or holding Alt+Shift+I. Let’s see what updates we have!

This week, we are able to mark Some users lose their favorites on update to Microsoft Edge as Addressed! Some users reported that they were missing some favorites after updating Microsoft Edge, and we believe this now be resolved. If you receive an update to Edge and notice that some of your favorites went missing, please submit that feedback through the browser so the team can investigate further!

We have a few updates to threads and asks this week, too. Shirley and her team are looking for your thoughts on InPrivate theming, while Kent posted a wonderful update to the discussion thread around the Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files item. Check out those threads to give us your thoughts, suggestions, and feedback on these items. We're also looking for more details and diagnostics from users running into the issue where the mouse cursor disappearing. Clay posted up a new discussion thread for this, so head over there to see if you might be able to help us out!

The team has decided that we will not bring the legacy Edge feature Reading Lists to the new Edge. We posted a message in the discussion thread that details why we came to this decision. Please check out the update here. Thanks to everyone who gave us their thoughts!

Here’s this week’s updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Some users lose their favorites on update to Microsoft Edge

4 weeks

Not planned

(See the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

24 weeks

Planned

MSA profile picture is not updating

2 weeks

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

7 weeks

Planned

Highlighter tool for PDF files

10 weeks

Planned

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

10 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

12 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

13 weeks

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

13 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

25 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

35 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

35 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

35 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

2 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

30 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

31 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

33 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

35 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

35 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

35 weeks

Under Review

Add ability to close tabs via double-click

2 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

21 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

33 weeks

Apr 7, 2020

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page (Learn more)

32 weeks

Mar 31, 2020

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

16 Replies
Great stuff, thank you!
it was a good decision to skip reading list implementation because Collections is literally the more advanced version of it!
I hope the items with planned status get a more precise implementation date. thanks again!
And another feedback summary without informations about the frequently requested feature "favorites sidebar". Sometimes I asking me, why we suggest features. This is an important feature from the edge legacy and it sems that the dev team won't bring this to the new edge!!! Regarding this feature requests I felt screwed.

See: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/collection-topic-favorites-sidebar-flyout/td-p/12...

Is there any word on when we can expect read-aloud on PDF files? I could really use this because all my school work is online now and my professors make a lot of PDF's. It's really annoying having to use two versions of Edge since legacy Edge no longer has an icon that shows up on my taskbar. 

@MattBDev 

Is there any sort of timetable as to when the adding of additional top sites to the ntp might in fact get implemented ? At least for me it would make me like the new edge even more, of course since we have access to google extension's from their web store, I could always just grab a 'new tab page' extension until the developer's of the new edge decide to add additional site tile's to the new tab page, but I REALLY don't want to have to do that.

Thanks,

David

As you are improving the immersive reader capabilities of the browser, feel baffles and do not understand why you are not considering to add the support to open epubs in immersive reader, like many of us are asking.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-the-epub-reader-from-edgeuwp-to-edge-chromium... I think this should be top feedback, even if not a priority.
Thank you for sharing, we will see some cool stuff in next two week.

@MissyQ 

Thanks for sharing! Hope to see many of this features in prod in the weeks to come! :)

@MissyQWould you please make Microsoft Edge available for install on Linux quicker? We Linux users are looking forward to see the colour fonts on the Edge Browser. Currently only Microsoft Edge supports all types of colour fonts. Firefox support for colour fonts exists but it is limited. So please develop Microsoft Edge for Linux faster!

From me, and many Linux users

@MissyQ Make the new Edge available on XBOX!

@David_H_1 If I could make it come faster, I would! Everyone is so absolutely excited for us to bring Edge to Linux. You will for sure see updates here once we have more information, though. Keep the enthusiasm up! We love seeing it. :D

@giovannigaspar I want to! Xbox is my console of choice. I worked over on that team for several years, so it's very near to my heart. Once I have information to share about that, I will work to ensure it's in this list (selfishly).

@htcfreek We do have the full page experience for Edge right now at edge://favorites. I understand this isn't what you are asking about, though. Please submit this feedback through the browser. The feature owner, Candice, is very active in the feedback around favorites so understand that we're working to bring suggestions to you all. :)

@MattBDev No info yet, but you will for sure see details here when they come in!

@Davy49 Same as above, no info yet. However, for you both, I suggest installing Canary and keeping an eye there for when these features are implemented. It'll give you a good idea on when you might see those features roll up.

@FedeDiLo Microsoft stopped supporting epub last year, and that support page links to the Store where you can install an app that supports reading epubs there. Continue to submit feedback for this request, though! The team does constantly evaluate feedback around these types of items.

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ That's awesome! XBOX is like a mini PC for me. If I had the new Edge there, my life would be easier . Anyway, I am very excited to know this is a possibility! Looking forward for it :)

P.S: Thanks for the response too! Good to know we are being listened :p

big bugs (can't use edge anymore): gmail break the clipboard. If I copy something on gmail, then I can't copy anything on google doc.

@MissyQ 

Same question :smile:
When will this feature marked "Adressed" actually be present in Edge ?

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

Thanks

@MissyQ 

Thanks for the response. yes store has lots of Epub reader and plus, people can convert their Epub books to PDF. nowadays most of the writers offer PDF version of their books too in addition to other formats like audio. because PDF is a lot more compatible and it's the standard document format for these things and looks the same on all devices.

@user0719 I've seen another report of this. Do you mind posting up a separate thread with details of what you are attempting to do, and include which version of the browser you are on, and tag me into it. I'll work with to dig into what might be happening. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ 

Also, please add the option of editing the current webpage and saving it in browser.

It was very useful feature for me for reading articles and saving it to the browser and the highlight as I want or annotate it.