To Clarify Betas as Default vs Non-beta.

Silver Contributor

It oft feels that there may be some misunderstanding floating about which, surrounds betas vs non-betas. I will address my concern thusly, to keep it simple & clear (I hope).  

We run Windows 10.  It is not a beta.  Some people, myself included, are Windows Insiders and the Builds we run are betas.  And we, always, tell Folks do not run a beta OS on a 'production machine'.  Why?  Because, they may have things wrong with them, things may not work on them or they crash or are unstable.

The browser we use in Win10 is Edge and it is not a beta.  Nor does it need to downloaded & installed because it is an integral part of the OS, the Default browser. 

Now we have Edge Chromium Channels; 2 now & soon, 3. They are all betas!  In due course, Edge (C) will replace Edge in the OS as its Default browser and that will not be beta.

Caveat here is, if one > Settings & sets the Default browser to be an Edge (C) Channel (Canary, Dev or Beta -  Oh no, calling one Beta won't be confusing to anyone), instead of Edge, that's cool, but, the Edge C is, still, a beta version which, is not, actually or yet, baked into the OS. A beta browser has been designated to be used as the 'default browser'.

So when someone is asking or wonder when (new) Edge will be release or DONE... betas are not that.  Because one has set a beta Edge Build as default browser simply means their default browser is a version of a beta browser.

Some of us suspect the 'real' (new) Edge to be pushed out w/ 1909.  For now, enjoy these betas, be they set to Default browser or not.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

8 Replies

@Drew1903 "Now we have Edge Chromium Channels; 2 now & soon, 3. They are all betas!"

In the strict technical sense, Drew, you are correct. Traditional software development nomenclature describes in-house testing versions of developing software as "alpha" and developing software distributed to an outside group for testing as "beta". Beta software used to be distributed only to developers, reserving "near final" releases for testing by a more general population of outside testers.

In more recent times, Microsoft and Google started to use outsiders to test software at earlier stages in the development process, using outsiders to do much of the "alpha" work that was previously done in-house. While that saves Microsoft and Google a lot of money, that also renders the strict technical sense of "alpha" and "beta" less meaningful and less important.

I've read the same comments you have on this Forum, comments to the effect that "Edge Chromium is alpha software at this point ...", meaning that the builds are as buggy as can be and nowhere near ready for prime time release. I don't have a problem with that. Language changes over time, and given the new protocols of software testing, releasing software to outside testing at stages when it would have formerly been considered "alpha" and testing in-house, I suspect that it is the strict technical nomenclature that is out of whack with reality, not the colloquial sense used in this forum.

"Some of us suspect the 'real' (new) Edge to be pushed out w/ 1909."

Edge Chromium is not, to my knowledge, baked into 19H2 at this point, and that release is, according to Microsoft, scheduled for wrap-up next month.   Nothing, as far as I know, suggests that 19H2 is going to include Edge Chromium.  What are you seeing that the rest of us (including the trade press) are not?

If Microsoft intends to roll out Edge Chromium with 19H2, Microsoft had better get busy if it wants to avoid serious and accurate criticism about a botched release.  The versions we are testing are not ready for prime time.  Do you really think that Microsoft will have Edge Chromium ready to go in less than a month?

Right. Plus with Beta's and Alphas (as sometimes called) they sometimes continue in public beta even after the stable version is release. Meaning the public beta testing doesn't always just end, and that's it as some stable software/apps are always being updated itself. Once Edge stable is released it'll be updated/improved every few weeks or months or whenever they opt to do it as all other stable browsers do. I'm a beta insider for Edge for Android. I get the beta versions when they're release to the Google Play Store.  (If you go to the Google Play store, search and click for Edge, and scroll down more towards the bottom you might see an option that say's "Join Beta" in which case if you do you'll get the stable release and the in-between beta releases of Android Edge).  I've been using Google Chrome Canary for years as a secondary browser and Google Chrome has since 2011 the same Canary, Developer, Beta, Stable options as Edge does. Firefox has Firefox Nightly (their version of Canary) and Firefox Beta (their version of Developer since Firefox Aurora was discontinued) on top of Stable. I sometimes refer to Canary as "the beta of the beta of the beta" hehe.  

I don't know when Edge will be released into stable. The Beta channel hasn't yet been released and that alone states after the Beta Channel (Beta Version) is released it will be updated every six weeks. 

@tomscharbach 

Tom, precisely due to what stage things are at, now... I suggested there is no way it would be ready before 1909.  I am not "seeing" anything, it's a hunch.  I, also, thought, on the occasions where this was being discussed, I had said or meant to imply, not before 1909 & maybe, after. And 1909 goes out in October so, maybe.  Excuse if you misunderstood, I have never said along w/ 1909 was etched in stone, just a possibility... Mostly, it was telling people that Edge C would definitely NOT be anything before the Fall, at least.  I recall at the same times reminding people the Beta Channel isn't even available, yet, when they have asked, "When will this browser be released?" 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Anthony 

Yes, and for the moment I was purposely staying away from the 'continues after release' part.  I'm sure it can be confusing for some Folks.  I happen to be an Edge, Bing, Office & Windows Insider so I certainly know of what you speak.  Certainly, Win10 Insider Builds are a perfect example. For Windows this has been the case w/ Operating Systems, it's a 1st for a MS browser... But, seem to do it w/ lots of software these days, involve public & corp (pre) testers.  It well be the case will Edge C.  I just wanted to sure people were grasping that currently if one of the Edge C Channels is set as their "Default browser" that it is, still, running a beta (version) browser.  The non-beta release will come in due time.

Maybe, this helps explain it... Help Desks (usually) do not offer Tech Support for beta anything.  As a matter of fact, for example, MS Help Desk will not/does not offer support for Win10 Insider Builds (they are betas).

There is Support for Edge not, for Edge C, yet; not until it's non-beta.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  Sorry, I did misunderstand, apparently.  I thought you were suggesting that Edge Chromium would be released with 19H1: "Some of us suspect the 'real' (new) Edge to be pushed out w/ 1909.

Obviously, that is not going to be the case.   The first Beta channel version hasn't been released yet, and since Microsoft seems to anticipate several Beta updates ("Beta Channel Updated every 6 weeks"), there just aren't enough days in the calendar for Edge Chromium to be "pushed out w/ 1909", whether or not it is part of the 19H1 release or independent.   Even if there are only two Beta updates, that pushes the earliest possible release date into mid-November.

I personally hope that Microsoft takes its time and doesn't push Edge Chromium out until it is 100% ready.  There is no particular urgency, and I don't think that Edge Chromium will survive if the product is not fully featured and working perfectly, both for consumers, and more importantly perhaps, for business and enterprise users.   Edge Chromium has to be flawless when released.  EdgeHTML got an early reputation for problems and it never recovered.  Microsoft can't afford that this time around.

True, did write, suspect not, would be.

As for your 2nd paragraph, I absolutely agree 100%. It is the only way it should be.

And, since we, really, don't know the time span, I, honestly just try to offer some kind of response to all those asking, “When, when, when??”

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@Drew1903   "And, since we, really, don't know the time span, I, honestly just try to offer some kind of response to all those asking, “When, when, when??

How about "I don't know. "

I was working at a different work side yesterday at my job, that required using someone else's computer which only had the original/old Edge. Using the original Edge I was reminded how much better and nicer the new Edge C is. I haven't used the old Edge since using Edge Canary. The old Edge was nice, but having been using the chromium Edge even in it's beta as my default browser I've gotten too spoiled with it.  I can only see each Beta getting better and better and setting up a proper and stable prime release. Although I also understand and see people's side of wanting to get the new Edge C in prime as soon as possible so they can make a full break from the old Edge. Or make a full break from other browsers like Firefox or Opera.