SOLVED

Timer interrupt experiment decreases performance

Bronze Contributor

One of my friends told me that they found a flag that decreases performance, so I checked it out using browser benchmarks. The one in question is called Timer interrupt experiment. I put it through Motion Mark (https://browserbench.org/MotionMark1.1/) and found that it did perform slightly worse(on Beta). The flag claims that it reduces power consumption, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that without decreasing performance. @Elliot Kirk 

motion mark throttled.pngmotion mark.png

1 Reply
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Hi @cjc2112, in general that is what we are trying to achieve.  We run these experiments periodically to see how these sorts of changes affect the system as a whole.  If the battery gains are good, and the performance hit is reasonable, we might offer this as a setting, or make it the default behavior when on battery.  But if the performance drops more than a reasonable amount, or the battery gains are negligible under real world conditions, then the flag disappears, and the feature never makes it into the product. Thanks - Elliot

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Hi @cjc2112, in general that is what we are trying to achieve.  We run these experiments periodically to see how these sorts of changes affect the system as a whole.  If the battery gains are good, and the performance hit is reasonable, we might offer this as a setting, or make it the default behavior when on battery.  But if the performance drops more than a reasonable amount, or the battery gains are negligible under real world conditions, then the flag disappears, and the feature never makes it into the product. Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post