There should be a separate category Linux here

Brass Contributor

There should be a separate category Linux here, that is, if the MS Edge for Linux is going to happen. There are problems that happen only for Edge on Linux, which don't happen on Windows. Also, a place where the Edge for Linux developers also take part. 

14 Replies
Edge for Linux is happening but why a separate place,
i mean Edge is available on Mac too but there is no separate Mac section, or Edge mobile, Hololens, Windows 10X.
Why do you want to divide us by platform, since this community is made to reunite us for improve edge ? if you have a linux problem you add [linux] in the title and it's done, like that mac and windows user can check if it's a linux only bug or a multi plateform bug.

@Wittycat 

It is not a question division, but a matter for users on Linux a place to come. Have you seen many MS edge on Linux users coming here? Have a look at the Vivaldi forum. The devs even reply to queries, and people know who the dev responsible for given platform is.

Windows Edge has a stable release on Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android, but not on Linux. Only a dev release, so not many are even trying. To get people to try, you have to have a place for them to come. I am just suggesting. I am open to all OSs.

Yeah i have seen them here
there is no sign that says Windows only, everyone is welcome here
in my case i think a one chanel only (and eventually add in each issue what os you use is more efficient), on vivaldi forum i had already seen linux/mac who asked in their zone how to fix a bug and the response was already in windows zone for weeks

@Wittycat 

The matter is what is good for Windows OS platform is not always or at all good for Mac OS or Linux.  What might be a solution for the Mac OS might be good for Linux and vice versa, for they are Unix based. 

The other matter is this an Insider discussion, so there would be very few, if at all Windows Insiders in the Linux world. 

Also, MS still can't get out a stable release of Edge for Linux, which is why this forum/discussion should specially invite them to test the browser. All other browsers based on Chromium have stable releases for Linux, and they did that immediately. 

Just got a email from Vivaldi, (image below), already on every platform.

By the way, Edge web capture saves files in .jpeg, but they cannot be uploaded to this place.

They can get out stable version, it's just linux version is not stable enough to be out.
Vivaldi have the most buggy stable version i ever seen, microsoft will not out a unstable product.
Second they don't have targeted linux right away because Linux people are known to be against Microsoft so Microsoft released the mac version First.
"The matter is what is good for Windows OS platform is not always or at all good for Mac OS or Linux. What might be a solution for the Mac OS might be good for Linux and vice versa, for they are Unix based. "

when someone starts a new topic, they have to provide necessary information, what OS they are using, which channel and version of Edge they are using. that is important, if they don't do that, then they will be asked by someone else to provide those info, if they want help from community.

"The other matter is this an Insider discussion, so there would be very few, if at all Windows Insiders in the Linux world. "

There is nothing about Windows insider in here, it's all about Edge insider.

"Also, MS still can't get out a stable release of Edge for Linux, which is why this forum/discussion should specially invite them to test the browser. All other browsers based on Chromium have stable releases for Linux, and they did that immediately. "

Edge Linux is not going to stay on Dev forever.
when the new Edge became available, there was only Canary and Dev channel, after many months came Beta channel, and after months was the first stable release.

it's safe to assume that the same applies to Edge for Linux

@HotCakeX 

"Edge Linux is not going to stay on Dev forever.
when the new Edge became available, there was only Canary and Dev channel, after many months came Beta channel, and after months was the first stable release."

That is exactly why I say, there should be a category Edge for Linux here.  It is up to the organizers of this "forum" to consider. All my friends who use Windows to work don't use MS Edge, even if it is there, they use Chrome or Firefox. Something to ponder about, if any developer/organizer comes here.  

There wasn't any Mac section, there is no Windows section, so it makes sense there is no Linux section either.

there is absolutely no need for a separate section. everything that needs to be discussed about Edge, Regardless of the OS, can be discussed here.

@HotCakeX 

Alright.

Tell me why MS Edge can't be made default from settings in Ubuntu? Or that the microsoft-edge-dev.png is placed in .local/share/icons without due permissions? Why skype cannot open a file to microsoft-edge-dev, and why microsoft-edge-dev cannot be made the default web browser through the distro's settings? Why such settings don't see microsoft-edge-dev? 

See, this kind of things can be discussed with those, who can grok them, so the MS Edge Linux devs, or users has to be here. :)

I don't know the answer to them, but that has nothing to do with the topic o.O

you post your questions, anyone who knows the answer will reply to them, simple as that.

and I mean "anyone", you don't know who visits this forum and what OS they use.

@chdslv I agree with one thing though, there needs to be ways to easily find posts by OS.

there needs to be 3 main tags that users should be required to choose from, before submitting their posts: Windows/Mac/Linux.

most people don't mention their OS so other users need to ask them that, but if users are forced to choose one of the 3 tags to identify their OS, then it will be easier to find posts by OS, using the search or tag system.

or simply use the useragent to auto-tag it (and modify it if you use another os to do the post)
Yeah that should work too, if the forum software supports it