The single-click tab muting is frustrating

Copper Contributor

I love the ability to mute individual tabs because it comes in handy on occasion, but the fact that it's a single click on the sound icon mostly just causes me to mute tabs by mistake. I'd prefer if it was a right-click option on the tab so it didn't happen by accident so frequently.

Even worse, if the tab is pinned, you have to be VERY careful to not accidentally mute the tab if you're trying to click into it. I like to pin tabs for stuff I'm always using, (email, messaging, music) but I can't do it with my music tab because this is what it looks like when it's playing music:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 8.12.10 AM.png

The amount of precision required to click into the music tab isn't worth the effort so I just don't pin it at all.

2 Replies

@HaydenL Welcome to our MSFT Edge Insider's community! Thanks for the insightful feedback.

The good news is that muting the tab already is a right-click option, and corresponds with Ctrl+M. Would it be your preference, then, to have the left-click functionality completely removed?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Ahh, I suppose it is also a right-click option, I didn't notice!
Regardless, the primary issue is the left-click muting tabs at all. I do think removing the left-click functionality entirely would be a better user experience. This is how Chrome works, and I assume it's for this reason. Muting an individual tab is a rare enough occurrence that I'd wager majority of the time someone clicks that mute button it's by accident. I know that's the case for myself, anyway.