The old extension store website need to be replaced

MVP

Using Microsoft Bing, searching for an extension like ublock origin, shows me this result

gfdgd.png

this is the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ublock-origin/9nblggh444l4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

it is the old extension store belonging to legacy Edge.

the new one is here:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak?hl=en-US

so either automatically redirect URLs to the new store or just retire that old store. it's confusing for people who are not tech savvy.

12 Replies

@HotCakeX And how do you suggest legacy Edge users to install extensions?

And How do you suggest new Edge users don't get misled by these search results?
there is a reason why Microsoft calls EdgeHTML Legacy. you shouldn't expect the experience to be the same.
the Legacy Edge is only staying for compatibility purposes. compatibility means only its engine, EdgeHTML, not the old extensions that it used and they are all available for the new Edge.
also Legacy Edge extensions can be installed from Windows store.
The problem is that the stable channel of the new Edge isn't available on Windows 10 1507-1809. Removing links to the legacy extensions in the search means that these extensions should be removed. For example, I can not update to 1903 on some of my computers because there is not GPU driver what works with 1903. The search results, actually, ranks by popularity, and you can do nothing until market share of the ChrEdge will exceed the market share of the old one. Removing the legacy extensions would be a big fault.

@msekmfb1 

Spoiler

@msekmfb1 wrote:
The problem is that the stable channel of the new Edge isn't available on Windows 10 1507-1809. Removing links to the legacy extensions in the search means that these extensions should be removed. For example, I can not update to 1903 on some of my computers because there is not GPU driver what works with 1903. The search results, actually, ranks by popularity, and you can do nothing until market share of the ChrEdge will exceed the market share of the old one. Removing the legacy extensions would be a big fault.

That's Perfectly Ok.
those versions are obsolete, out dated and not to be used by anyone.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

@HotCakeX Microsoft cannot get rid of the legacy Edge at least because it tied with Windows like no one component, even more than IE, for example, taskbar search box, 1909+ explorer search (that's why it's too bad) and more of other UI parts is rendering using EdgeHTML. Windows team, as I know, no longer develops Edge, and it's too easy to remove/damage a Chromium distribution, what the new Edge is. That's a reason why the legacy Edge will always be present in Windows 10. I enabled side-by-side experience because I need the legacy Edge for many reasons, so I need the extensions, and there no way to install them besides Microsoft Store.

@msekmfb1 

Spoiler

@msekmfb1 wrote:

@HotCakeX Microsoft cannot get rid of the legacy Edge at least because it tied with Windows like no one component, even more than IE, for example, taskbar search box, 1909+ explorer search (that's why it's too bad) and more of other UI parts is rendering using EdgeHTML. Windows team, as I know, no longer develops Edge, and it's too easy to remove/damage a Chromium distribution, what the new Edge is. That's a reason why the legacy Edge will always be present in Windows 10. I enabled side-by-side experience because I need the legacy Edge for many reasons, so I need the extensions, and there no way to install them besides Microsoft Store.

That's unrelated.

like it is tied with Windows like no one component? Microsoft Edge is just a browser. the Windows search uses something called Webview that also happens to be using EdgeHTML, for now.

the transition from Webview 1 (EdgeHTML) to Webview 2 (Chromium) is already being planned:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/hosting/webview2

these are still unrelated. www.Microsoft.com/Edge points to the new Edge, Not the legacy Edge.

people who are not tech savvy, when search for an extension, shouldn't be misled by an extension that is for legacy Edge.

@HotCakeX

I misread your previous message.

It's actually closely connected with Windows, not the entire browser, but the rendering and JS engine. I see no way to replace it with the WebView2, in respect that WebView is needed for other purposes. Replacing the current rendering of system components using EdgeHTML with the new engine that constantly updates independent from the Windows lifecycle may broke that components anytime, search, for example, so Edge will never be removed from Windows.

@msekmfb1 

Spoiler

@msekmfb1 wrote:

@HotCakeX

I misread your previous message.

It's actually closely connected with Windows, not the entire browser, but the rendering and JS engine. I see no way to replace it with the WebView2, in respect that WebView is needed for other purposes. Replacing the current rendering of system components using EdgeHTML with the new engine that constantly updates independent from the Windows lifecycle may broke that components anytime, search, for example, so Edge will never be removed from Windows.

You're free to think whatever you want my friend. that's not my concern neither is it related to my post.

you're neither a Windows developer nor Windows is an open source software, so it's normal for you not seeing a way to replace WebView.

@HotCakeXMy words will be proved after a while.

@msekmfb1 

@msekmfb1 wrote:

@HotCakeXMy words will be proved after a while.

We'll see ;)

The easy way to do it is to combine the extensions in the same store, so whenever you choose an extension to install you would be able to choose to install it on Chromium Edge or Legacy (if available on both) or the version of Edge where it is available.
Combination sounds good too, they should do it in a way that search engines give more priority to the new extensions for Chromium based Edge.
when you search in Google or Bing to download Edge, it doesn't take you to legacy Edge download page, it takes you to the New Edge, so extensions should do the same as well.
otherwise it is inconsistent and confusing.