The Ellipsis menu button in Edge goes vertical

MVP

fdfd.png

Previously looked like this

fdfsdf.png

Edge canary Version 88.0.705.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

what do you think about this change?

in my opinion, when we click/tap on it, the menu that opens is vertical, so it also makes sense to have the 3 dots vertical too to represent it.

15 Replies

@HotCakeX It looks fine, but I thought it is from Chromium upstream.

Oh true, that's also a possibility

I think it is from upstream Chromium only, otherwise it would have been updated with the rest of fluent icons.

@Rohit Yadav 

maybe, we'll see in the next canary updates. i didn't remember that Chrome actually has it, now I kinda hope Microsoft reverts it back 

they made another "design" adjustment in this update, added a question mark here lol

ffff.png

@HotCakeX I saw that xD. I guess the previous iteration without a Question Mark was better.

No, Horizontal menu is better and it should be horizontal, to be consistent with other Microsoft apps in windows 10.

Also that Question mark looks trash in settings, I hope microsoft reverts both of them.

It was vertical for me for a couple of days but now it's reverted to horizontal. I think horizontal makes for sense as it's at the end of a horizontal row of icons (favourites, history etc) - although I realise that not everyone will have these showing. Essentially though, I don't have any issue with it either way. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes looks like as others said it came from Chromium for a short period of time, glad it's gone :)

@HotCakeX 

rjtiwari10_0-1607350007444.png

It's still vertical for me and very ugly on mouse over. You can see in snapshot. Don't know what's cooking with that button but I really want to see 3-line hamburger icon like we have in Apps across Windows 10 & Microsoft services instead of 3 dots either horizontal or vertical. I also submitted this feedback via "Send Feedback" but don't know how team will look into this issue and suggestion.

What you think about hamburger icon?

I think you're in the Dev channel, right? Dev is currently on 88.0.705.9 which is the the same version Edge canary was on when this first appeared, so will revert back on the next update.

i like the hamburger/gear icon but it mainly represents Settings, whereas the 3-dots icon represents Menu. for the Settings Edge has the hamburger/gear icon but for Menu it has 3-dots. I think it makes sense.
also on websites the same 3 elements icons exist to represent a Menu. either 3 dots or 3 lines.

Yes, Dev channel. Also gear icon is totally out of context for a menu. Although, I agree with your thoughts on hamburger (3 lines) but still think there 3 horizontal lines icon (hamburger) can make more sense.

Anyways, best one will always be there. @Deleted here is a good feedback for Settings and more icon. Kindly share with team if it is helpful.

@rjtiwari10 

@rjtiwari10 wrote:

Yes, Dev channel. Also gear icon is totally out of context for a menu. Although, I agree with your thoughts on hamburger (3 lines) but still think there 3 horizontal lines icon (hamburger) can make more sense.

Anyways, best one will always be there. @Deleted here is a good feedback for Settings and more icon. Kindly share with team if it is helpful.

okay i just realized hamburger icon is actually the 3 horizontal lines icon lol

fdsf.png

I didn't imagine a hamburger like that 

but yeah i like hamburger icon, more than 3 dots we have now. will send feedback!

That's good pal ;) I hope team will find it useful and we can see it soon.

@rjtiwari10 

Lol not knowing the term hamburger doesn't make anyone less of a developer 

@HotCakeX Yeah, I didn't know it either.