SOLVED

Taskbar tasks list is missing

Iron Contributor

When right click on the program on taskbar, the tasks list is not shown. I reinstalled Microsoft Edge Dev but the browsing data is not clear, the issue still persist. 

Before a certain update that I forgot, it used to be there but after the update I accidentally unpin and repin the tasks is gone. 

EDIT: I checked others post seem some of them had same issue as me. 

Taskbar Tasks is missingTaskbar Tasks is missing

It is shown in start menuIt is shown in start menu

46 Replies

Thanks @Limyx826 for reporting this. I can confirm I see the same as you.

I'm filing a bug as I type. Thanks again. 

Thanks,

DarrenMH

@Limyx826 

Hi,

I will, call it a Jumplist, if that's ok.  I am showing my own, also, w/ Dev. Will be different, of course, w/ different items. The difference between yours & mine is clear.  But, please, note, do have to have it Turned On for (more) items to show on the Jumplist. I trust this may help.

Jumplist.jpg
Turn on.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Well it is turned on and that's the issue. 

Well that's the problemWell that's the problem

@Limyx826 

you're right, it has nothing to do with that Windows settings.

however it should be fixed in the future Dev updates since it's already fixed in Canary, meaning that it will eventually come to the Dev and Beta too but with a delay :)

Btw @DarrenMH filled a bug report for it.

Annotation 2019-08-28 141608.png

This issue still occurs in Dev channel (version 78.0.276.2)

@FranklinWhale 

Hi Franklin,

I cannot repro what you mention. Dev Build 78.0.276.2 & the jumplist is there & was in prior Builds, as well.

Dev J.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hi, try updating your Edge dev. if it's bothering you too much just switch to Canary for now. it doesn't have the problem. i hope this problem is not another side effect of A/B testing..
I think 78.0.276.2 is already the latest Edge dev...

@Drew1903 

I have even tried to reinstall Edge Dev Insider and the task list remains not shown. I think the tasks are not registered for an unknown reason. I have attached screenshots showing the differences.

firefox-tasks.png

chrome-tasks.png

edge-tasks.png

edg-tasks.png

Yes that's why I suggested to use Canary version instead while waiting for a fix for Dev. it's more stable and doesn't have that problem. Dev has always had more problems than Canary as far as i remember, and i've been using Edge insider since launch. Dev also has a small problem with extension menus. It feels like the more bugs they fix, the more broken Dev gets.
like they fix a bug in one place but create more bugs in other places. though it's all beta now and normal.

@HotCakeX I think the same issue exists in Canary too.

Version 79.0.278.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

clipboard_image_0.png

@Limyx826 @DarrenMH Are you still experiencing the same issue?

@FranklinWhale 

No as you can see I've got all the task lists in the taskbar

Annotation 2019-09-19 170907.png

@FranklinWhale 

For your information,

Well I had no idea what kind of bug is this, some had it some didn'tWell I had no idea what kind of bug is this, some had it some didn't

Try unpin it and repin it

@Limyx826 @HotCakeX 

I wonder whether Windows 10 update is a cause now. After reinstalling Firefox, all tasks are lost.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

The Firefox issue, I am able to get the tasks in jump list back by going to about:config then setting browser.taskbar.lists.enabled to false then true. I am not aware of a similar flag in Chrome or Edge Insider.

Mind to take a full screen screenshot? this white area doesn't say where it is taken from exactly.

@HotCakeX 

Press Start, then enter "Edge Dev":

clipboard_image_0.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Limyx826 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@FranklinWhale 

I think they really fix the taskbar issue because I found a solution to it. 

It's back.It's back.

How I get it back (Work on Chrome as well):

1. Unpin the program if you pin it on the taskbar

2. Pin the shortcut from start menu

I believe that the start menu icon that pin on taskbar isn't the programI believe that the start menu icon that pin on taskbar isn't the program

3. Open Setting, go to Personalisation and Start section

4. Toggle Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar and in File Explorer Quick Access repeatedly, it may lag when turning off

5. Check whether the Tasks came back or not, if not try again? or submit another bug report

6. If it works unpin the start menu shortcut from the taskbar and pin the program on the taskbar if you want

I used this method before in previous version but it didn't work. Now that it works I believe the Devs had fix some weird bug between the start menu shortcut and the program itself. 

View solution in original post