SOLVED

Tabs and Dark Mode

Bronze Contributor

@Elliot Kirk I feel that the dark mode isn't as contrasting as the dark mode in the original edge. When I tried it in the original, I was entranced by the dark modes near complete black color(1). The new edge has a dark gray color that does not look as contrasting(2).

(1)og edge color.png (2)chrome edge color.png

The new edge active tab is lighter than the other tabs and looks similar to chrome, however, if it were like the original edge, it would add personality to the browser. chrome edge tab.png

The original edge uses shadows to make the active tab appear to pop out a little bit from the other tabs, which is only helpful with 90 degree angles, so this would be nice to implement at the same time. Another part that made the dark mode so attractive is when the mouse hovered over an area, that area would lighten up a bit.

og edge tab.png

Lighter areas and slight pop out effect example:

OGedgelighterareas.gif

Tabs also were able to slide under each other.

OGedgeswitchtabs.gif

tabslideunder.gif

Another issue is that there isn't an option to make the background of the new tab page dark. It would add to the aesthetics if you were able to customize the color of the new tab page background.dark mode improvments.pngEdit: the last tab has been turned dark for a while now.

51 Replies

@royamicus185 

please try enabling this flag

then it will work

Annotation 2019-11-26 141150 (1).png

Thanks that is all that is needed. So, it is in the browser already but not enabled. Highlighted tab (when the pointer is on it) could be a little brighter. But that is minor. The open tab is now easy to find.
doesn't work even with this flag(

@royamicus185 

I found it works. It is the opposite of Edge. In that, in Edge, the open tab is Dark the others lighter  AS in C Edge the open tab is lighter.

@erikvp 

@erikvp wrote:
Thanks that is all that is needed. So, it is in the browser already but not enabled. Highlighted tab (when the pointer is on it) could be a little brighter. But that is minor. The open tab is now easy to find.

Yes because it's still in experimenting phase, it's also available only as a flag on Google chrome :)

@royamicus185 

@royamicus185 wrote:
doesn't work even with this flag(

Which Edge insider channel are you using?

after enabling the flag, you need to right-click on each tab and select this

Annotation 2019-11-27 102618.png

@cjc2112 Ayyy twentyonepilots fan |-/

@cjc2112  Will be in Microsoft Edge an option for dark mode for all websites? I hope that will be.

@Anthony , thanks for the tip about Dark Reader. Works amazingly well on most sites and has tons of configuration options. The Microsoft team working on Force Dark Mode on Web Contents could learn a thing or two from this extension. I'll use this while Microsoft works on improving the native Edge feature. 

@cjc2112 I could not agree more with "I feel that the dark mode isn't as contrasting as the dark mode in the original edge."

The grey used by Chromium Edge and Windows File Explorer (to name a few apps) looks muddy and poorly contrasting to me as well. I much prefer the darker backgrounds currently used in the experimental Force Dark Mode for Web Contents feature and sometimes use that instead of turning on Edge dark mode (which sadly overrides DM4WC backgrounds with it's dingy lighter shades of grey).

That's a good idea, thx a lot