SOLVED

Tabs and Dark Mode

Bronze Contributor

@Elliot Kirk I feel that the dark mode isn't as contrasting as the dark mode in the original edge. When I tried it in the original, I was entranced by the dark modes near complete black color(1). The new edge has a dark gray color that does not look as contrasting(2).

(1)og edge color.png (2)chrome edge color.png

The new edge active tab is lighter than the other tabs and looks similar to chrome, however, if it were like the original edge, it would add personality to the browser. chrome edge tab.png

The original edge uses shadows to make the active tab appear to pop out a little bit from the other tabs, which is only helpful with 90 degree angles, so this would be nice to implement at the same time. Another part that made the dark mode so attractive is when the mouse hovered over an area, that area would lighten up a bit.

og edge tab.png

Lighter areas and slight pop out effect example:

OGedgelighterareas.gif

Tabs also were able to slide under each other.

OGedgeswitchtabs.gif

tabslideunder.gif

Another issue is that there isn't an option to make the background of the new tab page dark. It would add to the aesthetics if you were able to customize the color of the new tab page background.dark mode improvments.pngEdit: the last tab has been turned dark for a while now.

51 Replies

@royamicus185 Definitely agree with you. I miss the really dark dark mode from spartan.

when the rest of the tabs except currently opened are acrylic transparent, it's much easier to navigate!

@royamicus185 

There is an interesting note, here. Edge doesn't apply any Accent colour the way Edge C. does.  There is nothing about being "forced" to use Accent colours.  They are something that has been used long before Edge C arrived.  But, really, for ascetics and to have the tabs, actually, be more visible & easy/easier to see /distinguish Edge C affects it better due to how it handles or applies Accent colours which, is much better then Edge does; dark on dark doesn't offer much contrast; they are more effective & helpful with Edge C than with Edge.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@cjc2112Thanks! I like the blue its very nice but the black / dark mode is even better IMO.

@Drew1903 

Hi Drew,

Hovering over a tab makes it lighter. But I never noticed it till I did read this and tried it. So, it is clearly not enough it should be made lighter. Don't forget a good part of the population is color blind to some degree. So, trying to be making it just a bit different will not work for them 

@erikvp 

Yes, Erik, the shading changes when hoovering on a tab.  I will tell you (& others) since Edge C does a very good job of applying OS Accent colours when they are told to affect Title Bars & window frames, things can be very easy to see & distinguish.  For example...

Easy.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Hi Drew,

I had to try it first. A few observations.

1. Most end-users will not even know where to find these settings.
  2. To get a decent hover effect you should not have to customize the color scheme.
  3. Same as 2 but for the active tab. 
  4. The same is true for the buttons of course.

It was done in Edge. So, why not in Edge C. All (for me at least) they have to do is make the hover effect a bit lighter. Somewhere in the middle of the active and inactive tabs. That is what they did in Edge.

The same is true for the buttons too of course.

@erikvp 

Actually, Erik, myself, I used various accent colours long before Edge C and with Edge C, amd not, exclusively, for the sake of the tabs appearances.  The rational has been for overall looks... to have a colour scheme that all goes together with the wallpaper & the rest of the system.  Whether colouring matches or compliments it is coordinated with everything & the aesthetics end up looking good (in my warped mind, at least).  Plus, I will often change the accent colour to go with a changed wallpaper, so, things don't become boring. 

The settings are not hard to find or notice.  As soon as one starts customizing their machine to their liking they go to Personalize & there it all is.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Hi Drew, true it is all there. But lots of people have no clue how a computer works of where to find settings. That is why the slogan " Apple it simple works" is sp great. It 

I have a question that is way of topic but maybe you have heard of it and can give a quick option

.A friend has reimage online repair installed. he has lots of problems. I suspect of what I read online it is the program ( it messes with the registry) Have you ever heard of it? 

@erikvp 

I shall be tactful... naivety is not an excuse. Certainly, many people, you're right, do nothing to over come their naivety.  There are IT Pros who are self-taught.  User are free to poke about, click on things, discover, learn, try stuff, be curious, be interested.

And the nice thing is how super helpful Windows 10 is in that regard & everything in plain English and sometimes with pictures & even videos... all right in their OS.  There's a wee thing called Tips, there by default, tell a person all about their OS from A to Z(ed :maple_leaf:) <-- teeheehee.   Naivety is curable, one can heal oneself.  Sadly, you are right, many don't try to look & see or read about things which, they could do, can do right within their OS.

"Education begets empowerment", Drew

And to answer your query;  Yes, I know of that & or similar things. If, you were to ask me to comment, it would be this: Stay the H3LL away from such things, period, end of story, discussion & warning.  "Not with a 10 foot pole!"

If somebody wants/needs Managed Services, call Microsoft for Microsoft Dynamics 365 & that will nicely address all their CRM (Customer Relationship Management) needs; fully managed services Cloud safe.  In other words, it is something for business clients.  Doesn't sound like your friend is one of those.

Cheers,
Drew

@erikvp Yes. I use a laptop and another thing I've noticed is sometimes its hard to tell what the active tab is if the screen is at an angle. They need this addressed before launch. In the OG edge, there was enough contrast that even if I couldn't see what the active tab was, i could see all the other tabs, or if I couldn't at all, I could use the tab drop down or hover over the tabs.

@cjc2112 That looks like the monitor - It looks like you are using a monitor with local dimming/brightening. The monitor sees something bright in an area and brightens the area with the cursor. Try changing to a black/dark coloured cursor and see if that helps it

@cjc2112 

Cameron,

That's cool with various page colours.  It does have nice daily photos, often, too.

NTPpic.jpg
Notice how visible the tabs are.

Cheers,
Drew

I agree: Edge looked better IMO. It has the same look & feel that the rest of the OS, which was nice. The hovering borders on the buttons, the darker color patterns, the transparency on the top border…

Now that this is gone, it looks way too much like a chromium fork (which is, well... What it is).

@Drew1903 

Hi Drew,

that is what I told my friend. He removed it and even got his money back. He did go through all the build-in security checks and his computer runs a lot better again.

@erikvp 

Glad you agree & good on you for telling him that. Cool things ended that way.  I'm glad to hear it, Erik.

I have a pet peeve about the work I see. I have a client in Mich. Replaced HHD. They returned it w/ 1803, AVG & Adobe Reader. She's happy, now, too. (We made things right)

Cheers,
Drew

I personally think it would be great if you could make a custom new tab page by uploading a HTML file.

@Ben_K2 No, its normal, I have some big ones at home that have always worked like that(the screen appears brighter when its tilted up than down), even when I'm playing Minecraft at 2 am, no lights. When I move my head physically it changes based on the angle. It might be for privacy, IDK, but that's the way it is built.

On my laptop, I either have to tilt the screen or move my head forward to see the tabs.

@Drew1903 I made the color ones specifically for the focused NTP, so if you could personalize even if you want something minimalistic and not distracting.

Your tabs are very visible, however, the dark mode in Spartan edge allows contrast without switching your themes.

tabs grouping doesn't working in latest canary version, is it planned feature downgrade or a bug?