Tab Preview - Discussion

Microsoft

Hi Insiders, thanks so much for your feedback on the tab experience in the new Microsoft Edge. From reading your comments, it is clear that many of you would like an easy way to view more information about your tabs to quickly identify which one you are looking for. This problem can be particularly painful when you have many tabs open at once, perhaps appearing similar to each other with repeated site titles or icons, and you'd like to avoid having to switch to each of them to find the right one. Many of you specifically cite "tab preview" from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge as a helpful tool in this situation.

Top Feedback Item: Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

As we investigate this feedback further, we'd like to ask for your help to make sure we are solving the right problem and get the experience just right. For example, in the Microsoft Edge Legacy , there were actually a couple of methods to preview the contents of a tab. One way was to hover over a tab, and a little thumbnail and description of that specific tab would appear with more information. Another method was to select an arrow to the right of the new tab button to open a persistent preview of all the open tabs simultaneously.

Could you tell us more about your experience in this area, and what you would like to see going forward? For example, which of the legacy version of Microsoft Edge tab preview features did you specifically use, and how did you use it? What problems did this feature help you solve and how? What types of information is particularly useful in a preview of a tab and why?

Thanks for your help, we look forward to working with you to improve the new Microsoft Edge in this area.

132 Replies
Thanks so much for the tip. Do you know when they are going to add the pinned tab previews like in the legacy edge with the button?

@HotCakeX Edge legacy was perfect in this regard I would be happy with an exact port.

@Elliot Kirk I hope a feature like this will be able to be turned off in a way that it occupies no hardware resources. I had other recently activated-by-default features use insane system resources (>400 Edge processes starting up at once can pretty much wreck a system, as expected, but even knocked my router offline) and would like to dodge further 'improvements' of that type.

What I realized after having the experimental features enabled for tab previews is that the p[reviews only show a screen shoot of the tab and not the tab in motion. When I have had a tab open playing a youtube video it would show me a screenshot of the video and the tie I hovered over the tab and not the video playing. What would be nice is for edge to show real-time tab previews so that when you hover over tab previews it shows the videos playing and the animations and popups in real-time like you would if you were on the tab. ANd in the latest version of Safari, they do not even have this feature to allow real-time tab Previews they only have screen shots of videos playing in tab previews.
Yeah I noticed that too, i think they do this so that Edge won't use more processing power to render each tab preview in real time, only logical things i can think of

@Elliot Kirk Thanks for sharing. 

I've always considered tab preview very unhelpful and quite annoying. I've rarely could identify the tab by preview, probably because I tend to have text heavy pages for a couple of websites only, github, wiki, asana, couple of news outlets. The best way for me to identify the tab is and icon and page title.

I would rather prefer to have an option to use address bar to double as search bar for open tabs. E.g. suggestion option with 'Open tab' indicator.

I hope that if preview is implemented it would be possible to turn it of and out of sight completely.

Allow Tab Previews to be displayed Without the title of the tab and the domain name

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/allow-tab-previews-to-be-displayed-without-the-ti...

Hi ,

I would like to see the improvement that when I scroll through my open and muted tabs in the sidebar the only this tab gets unmuted when I choose it .

At the moment all feeds gets unmuted when I scroll over it via mouse
Are tab previews going to have live animation when you show over tabs that are playing youtube videos? I think I read that Edge is getting live tab previews for moving websites such as youtube somewhere on the internet.

I like both features, hover and small arrow. Both are useful.

I also wants to add a simple shortcut like Ctrl + Down Arrow to show the previews of all tabs (or Active Tab) in this way we don't need to move the mouse arrow from browser.

Think about it.

and also i want to know that is the tab preview also works for vertical tabs, coz in the vertical the preview looks like a snippet used in wikipedia.

@Elliot Kirk 

Page previews in table of contents as a tab

@ethanmenzel 

@ethanmenzel wrote:
Are tab previews going to have live animation when you show over tabs that are playing youtube videos? I think I read that Edge is getting live tab previews for moving websites such as youtube somewhere on the internet.

I haven't heard anything about it but that would be interesting to have

I've switched back to Safari and when I hover over tabs with youtube videos while working on other tasks I often see a frozen preview of the tab. It would be nice for safari and Edge to have animated tab previews especially for when you are watching videos. I could see it more useful when we get the pinned state of tab previews in Edge so that I can watch youtube videos while working on other things at the same time.
Bing shows live preview of videos on Edge Windows. I'm sure it works on other platforms too and most likely on other supported browsers as well.
May I know if there's a way to enable Task Bar tab preview by hovering mouse pointer over the "e" icon in Task Bar? Or is this available / planned in the Chrome Edge? Thanks

@sscywong 

@sscywong wrote:
May I know if there's a way to enable Task Bar tab preview by hovering mouse pointer over the "e" icon in Task Bar? Or is this available / planned in the Chrome Edge? Thanks

Currently, no, can't view individual tab previews when hovering over the Edge icon on Taskbar. you can only view each tab's preview if you have more than 1 Edge tab open.

however, there is another way. use Alt + Tab to quickly switch between each tab, you can also view tab previews in there and use mouse to select tabs.

you need to be on the latest Windows 10 build and have this enabled in

Windows settings => System => Multitasking 

image.png

How would the Pinned tab previews work for Vertical tabs. I'm thinking that if vertical tabs were pinned that they should be to the right of the vertical tabs and if they aren't pinned then they should be pinned underneath the vertical tab. But I'm not sure if that would work. I'm not a big fan of the current ta previews because of how they take up other tabs space where if the tab preview was under the tab itself it would not take up other tabs spaces.
Witam !
Ja obecnie jestem przeciwnikiem podglądu kart pionowych - ja tego nie potrzebuje !
Na pewno nie chcę nic mieć po prawej stronie ekranu !
Teraz mam po najechaniu kursorem duże paski - wszystko jest OK !
Nie chcę podglądu !

dziękuję bardzo
Andrzej
The scrollable tabstrip is in TabView but Edge's tabscrip was never updated to use it.
You can see in the TabView in XAML Controls Gallery.

@Elliot Kirk when will Edge's TabView be updated to use the scrollable TabView as evident in the XAML Controls Gallery?

Right now it is very hard to scroll tabs especially on Windows 10 Tablet Mode and touch use.

shaheedmalik_0-1615813127524.png