Tab Preview - Discussion

Microsoft

Hi Insiders, thanks so much for your feedback on the tab experience in the new Microsoft Edge. From reading your comments, it is clear that many of you would like an easy way to view more information about your tabs to quickly identify which one you are looking for. This problem can be particularly painful when you have many tabs open at once, perhaps appearing similar to each other with repeated site titles or icons, and you'd like to avoid having to switch to each of them to find the right one. Many of you specifically cite "tab preview" from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge as a helpful tool in this situation.

Top Feedback Item: Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

As we investigate this feedback further, we'd like to ask for your help to make sure we are solving the right problem and get the experience just right. For example, in the Microsoft Edge Legacy , there were actually a couple of methods to preview the contents of a tab. One way was to hover over a tab, and a little thumbnail and description of that specific tab would appear with more information. Another method was to select an arrow to the right of the new tab button to open a persistent preview of all the open tabs simultaneously.

Could you tell us more about your experience in this area, and what you would like to see going forward? For example, which of the legacy version of Microsoft Edge tab preview features did you specifically use, and how did you use it? What problems did this feature help you solve and how? What types of information is particularly useful in a preview of a tab and why?

Thanks for your help, we look forward to working with you to improve the new Microsoft Edge in this area.

132 Replies
And, good to know, also.

@Dan_AI4GK 

@Dan_AI4GK wrote:
And, good to know, also.

Yeah, btw it also works on Firefox and Chrome

@cjc2112 Thanks for letting me know. I still wish there was a drop down option on right click to make it faster.

Yw, Would it make it faster than pressing a button on keyboard?

@HotCakeX It certainly would on a tablet... or if you are feeling lazy and don't want to use the keyboard :smile:

@CLove3 or if you don't feel like highlighting all the tabs

Without highlighting, you can't do all of that I showed in video. a simple right-click option is not flexible enough ;)

@CLove3 

@CLove3 wrote:

@HotCakeX It certainly would on a tablet... or if you are feeling lazy and don't want to use the keyboard :smile:

I think I know what they should do for tablets, a tap and hold on tabs should highlight them, using a 2 finger gesture (one finger on the left tab and one finger on the right tab to highlight all the tabs in between them) will do the trick. once the tabs are highlighted, the right-click menu should automatically appear letting user choose an option.

@Elliot Kirkso I'd like tab preview to be persistent and NOT on hover because I need to be able to look quickly across the dozens of tabs I have open. the top tab far of Edge works well, but it would also be nice to have the Quick Tabs option from older IE versions where you could tile the tab previews to take up the full browser window instead of having to scroll. the important thing is persistent tab previews where we can see the contents of many tabs at once. 

I like this idea, in Firefox you can do this by CTRL + TAB shortcuts.
Windows uses ALT + TAB shortcuts to show all the open windows and Firefox uses CTRL + TAB shortcuts to show all the open tabs.
it'd be great if Edge used the same shortcut which is very familiar to Windows too.

@HotCakeX Firefox is the only browser that supports this as far as I know. Edge, explorer, and chrome all move left or right by tabs, which is easier if you have many tabs open. This could be added as an option, but by default they should stay the way they are. 

@HotCakeX Perhaps I'm missing something, but CTRL-TAB switches between tabs in new Edge.

Regards,

Dan

pretty sure I remember Joe Belfiore demo'd having Edge tabs show up as individual windows when you used Alt-Tab at a Build: is that still on the roadmap @elliotkirk ?

@Dan_AI4GK 

Spoiler

@Dan_AI4GK wrote:

@HotCakeX Perhaps I'm missing something, but CTRL-TAB switches between tabs in new Edge.

Try it on Firefox. it's not about switching, it shows preview of all open tabs on screen.

just like ALT + TAB which shows all open windows on screen.

@cjc2112 

Spoiler

@cjc2112 wrote:

@HotCakeX Firefox is the only browser that supports this as far as I know. Edge, explorer, and chrome all move left or right by tabs, which is easier if you have many tabs open. This could be added as an option, but by default they should stay the way they are. 

which comment are you replying to? if it is about CLTR + TAB shortcuts then it's irrelevant.

it has nothing to do with too many tabs or even Firefox supporting that feature or not.

it doesn't matter how many windows are open, the ALT + TAB shortcuts on Windows works regardless.

same can happen to CTRL + TAB for Tab previews in Edge. the previews scale down when the number of tabs go up.

@Mary Branscombe 

@Mary Branscombe wrote:
pretty sure I remember Joe Belfiore demo'd having Edge tabs show up as individual windows when you used Alt-Tab at a Build: is that still on the roadmap @elliotkirk ?

This would mix windows with browser tabs..

yes, that was going to be the point; why is it different to get between two Word documents or two Excel spreadsheets and two browser tabs?
Yes you're right, Windows SETS was sorta based on the same idea and I loved it

@Elliot Kirk 

Please bring the following facility to the new Edge from the legacy edge to make it different and better 

1- Reading List and reading view

2- View tools like adjusting the fonts, changing line spaces and themes and ability to remembers a book's progress...etc.

3- Tap Preview, search and preview tap both by cursor or panel docked at the top

4- Set Aside

5- Ask Cortana

6- Pin to Strat

7- open with internet explorer

8- Annotation and make a web note

MS new these features and other very well they create them before so please work hardly to get these facility back to the new edge.

Regrads

@Derarg 

Spoiler

@Derarg wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

Please bring the following facility to the new Edge from the legacy edge to make it different and better 

1- Reading List and reading view

2- View tools like adjusting the fonts, changing line spaces and themes and ability to remembers a book's progress...etc.

3- Tap Preview, search and preview tap both by cursor or panel docked at the top

4- Set Aside

5- Ask Cortana

6- Pin to Strat

7- open with internet explorer

8- Annotation and make a web note

MS new these features and other very well they create them before so please work hardly to get these facility back to the new edge.

Regrads

Reading view which is Immersive Reader mode is now in the new Edge browser, it was also called Immersive Reader at some locations in Edge legacy.

Pin to start is also available, also Pin to taskbar and Pin to desktop, simply use the ellipsis menu button to Pin sites to task bar or install them as an app in Edge.

Reading list and any feature related to books are depreciation.

there are no more books to be bought from store.

hgfhf.png

in the screenshot which is 2 Windows store categories on top of each other. the one at the top belongs to older Windows 10 version and the one below is the current Windows 10 store.

Set Aside tabs is also (kinda) implemented:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/set-aside-tab-feature-collection-added-to-edge-in...

if you want to for example read kindle books, here is how