Syncing

Bronze Contributor

I got on a new computer and downloaded all 3 browsers to see what would sync. Here's what did and didn't.

Privacy: None of the privacy settings synced.

Appearance: Show home button C,D,B; everything else default

On startup: Can, Dev, Beta

Site permissions: All default

Downloads: All default

Languages: All default

Some of the biggest things that were missing were:

• Collections feature
  • Dark mode sync
  • Favorites were 'set to new tab only' instead of my 'always'
  • Favorites set to show icon only showed text
  • Site permissions didn't sync
  • My privacy settings weren't synced.
  • For spellcheck, none of my words I added on another computer synced

Other things I noted

• Do not track requests are off by default
  • I can't add a word to dictionary on spot when there's a type-o(no right click option)

Update: the add to dictionary has been added to right click.

4 Replies
Nice info,
my experience is also the same as yours. the settings sync only syncs like 10% of the options and the rest are left out

@HotCakeX I know I talk a lot about this and some people might be tired of hearing this but syncing is one of the more important parts of modern web browsers and edge cannot be released until it is fixed, or syncing most things reliably.

Yeah, no one should be tired because it's an existential issue that needs a fix and it's important

@cjc2112 That's my experience as well - nearly nothing syncs, including Favorites (which supposedly should sync, but I see nothing to that effect). Also, one of the few settings that I see sync in Beta and Dev - Show Home button - doesn't on Canary anymore. So, I am also a bit worried about the new sync engine, which doesn't look any better than the old one.