SOLVED

Syncing of bookmarks/favorites when first installing chromium edge issue.

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I did try and perform a search for this topic before I posted it, there are similar topic's but I thought I'd post this anyway. It seems as though for some reason if I decide to install a different build/branch of the browser, my favorites get double copied into the newly installed browser. As I remember, other user's have also mentioned that issue..possibly in a somewhat different way. Also, what makes it even more frustrating is the method I have to use to clean up the duplicate entries I don't want, there doesn't seem to be a mass deletion method to do so..at least for me, I have to delete one entry at a time. Has anyone else found this to be true ?

Thanks,

David

13 Replies
Hi,
can you exactly mention the order of Edge channels that you installed that resulted in that issue?

it's true there are topics about the same subject already but they are old. recently Microsoft improved Favorites syncing and added abilities that should prevent duplication, it's not 100% accurate but it should be better compared to say 2 months ago.

in my experience, I had Canary channel for months on my system, then when stable version released i installed it on my machine. my favorites started syncing with stable build soon and i had no duplication. after 1 week, i installed Edge dev and it also started syncing my favorites and still no duplication.
that's why I'm curious the order of your installations.

Oh and btw, use this extension to automatically detect and delete duplicated items in your favorites/bookmarks, works on all chromium based browsers including Edge.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookmarks-clean-up/oncbjlgldmiagjophlhobkogeladjijl

Hi@HotCakeX ,

On my desktop I'm still running the development version of edge, on my laptop I also had the same version but then I decided to try out the stable version. That's when I noticed the duplication of the bookmark's, by the way the extension that you offered is great..thanks so much !

David 

You're welcome, oh so probably the duplication prevention was only applied to Dev and Canary, not the stable..

@Davy49 Thanks for letting us know. What folders are the duplicates in? (There may be up to one copy of each favorite in the ~3 folders, but they shouldn't be duplicated in the same folder.) And have you seen this behavior in Canary or Dev? And if you're still encountering this, can you please submit feedback through the browser?

And as a heads-up, you can multi-select favorites in "about:favorites" to delete multiples at once.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi Fawkes,
I'm impressed to have you reply to me..thanks !! I guess I'm having another 'senior' moment, I'm referring to what you stated: " And as a heads-up, you can multi-select favorites in "about:favorites" to delete multiples at once." At this exact moment, I can't remember how to/where it's located.
David
Entering "about:favorites" (or "edge://favorites") in the adress bar is just another way to open the "Manage Favorites" page. I think it's easier to click on the Favorites icon and choose "Manage Favorites". (Pressing Ctrl+Shift+O is another option.)

When you want to select several consecutive Favorites, hold down the Shift key and click on the first and last Favorite. If you want to select or deselect an individual Favorite, hold down the Ctrl key and click on current Favorit. (You have to click on either the icon to the left of the link in each Favorite or in the area to the right of the link, otherwise you will open the corresponding page!)

/Gunnar in Sweden
Hi Gunnar,
What a beautiful country you live in..to be honest, I've been watching video's on you tube about your country..I especially love watching train rides through the beautiful countryside. Back to the favorites issue, that's what I thought fawkes was referring to. I'll try your method..of course I thought that's what I was doing, but due to my age..sometimes I seem to be having more and more 'senior moments' than I used to. :)
Thanks,
David
best response confirmed by Davy49 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Davy49 Yes, @Gunnar Rastén is absolutely correct! Doing Ctrl+Shift+O might be the easiest way to manage your Favorites if navigating through icons is less accessible.

Here's a screenshot of multiple options selected in the Favorites manager. (You can then click the blue "delete" button, or the "X" next to an individual entry.)

clipboard_image_0.png

Fawkes (they/them)

Hi fawkes,
I guess I clicked on the best response button too quickly, I'm still not able to utilize this method of what Gunnar had stated " When you want to select several consecutive Favorites, hold down the Shift key and click on the first and last Favorite." This morning I decided to re-install the beta version of chromium edge, while setting up the browser, when I came to the option to setup the syncing function I unchecked all of the checked boxes within that window and then clicked the cancel button. After I got to the last setup screen and clicked on the finish button, I decided to check and see what might in my favorites folder, much to my surprise there were a bunch of favorite's already in there. What I'd like to do would be to delete everything in my favorites folder and start fresh. Now if I can just get that accomplished I'll be a happy chromium edge user.
David

@Davy49 I just tried it on my end, and selecting through the "press shift and click" method is working. Additionally, you can also open up the Favorites manager and press CTRL + A, which will select all the favorites.

If that still doesn't work for you, can you please submit feedback through the browser so our devs can take a look?

Fawkes (they/them)

Hi fawkes,
Thanks again for your reply, in your latest reply you stated "I just tried it on my end, and selecting through the "press shift and click" method is working." Also, "Additionally, you can also open up the Favorites manager and press CTRL + A, which will select all the favorites." The last option is what corrected my issue, I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard, I really don't know if that prevented me from utilizing the 'normal' shift & down arrow method or not, but at least now the favorite's that I needed to delete are.
David :)

@Davy49 Great, I'm glad to hear that ended up working for you!

Fawkes (they/them)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Davy49 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Davy49 Yes, @Gunnar Rastén is absolutely correct! Doing Ctrl+Shift+O might be the easiest way to manage your Favorites if navigating through icons is less accessible.

Here's a screenshot of multiple options selected in the Favorites manager. (You can then click the blue "delete" button, or the "X" next to an individual entry.)

clipboard_image_0.png

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post