SOLVED

Syncing Browser History

Copper Contributor

Does anyone have any idea when Browser History syncing will be available? I want to install Edge Canary on all my devices but can't do it without browser history syncing!

16 Replies
best response confirmed by Alexander Riggs (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Alexander Riggs 

Hi,
hopefully soon, the Devs recently mentioned that the Edge insider browser is soon going to get all of its features.

also there has been some weird hints in the Edge settings page regarding history sync, like this one:

sdfsdf.PNG

that notice wasn't there a week ago, i think they are getting ready to enable it. with history syncing the Windows 10's timeline (taskview) will also start working

@Alexander Riggs Hopefully it's closer now. I came here with the same question as it's an essential feature for now. No history sync - no significant use of edge. It's how I work across machines....

@Alexander Riggs  This is the feature I am waiting on the most. I think it will be phenomenal. Right now I have something like 30 tabs open on my phone waiting for the time I can easily continue reading on my browser! 

@Fredwbaker 

@Fredwbaker wrote:

@Alexander Riggs  This is the feature I am waiting on the most. I think it will be phenomenal. Right now I have something like 30 tabs open on my phone waiting for the time I can easily continue reading on my browser! 

What you're looking for is "Open Tabs syncing" which is coming soon, Not Browser history syncing.

@HotCakeX Thanks! I am really loving the new Edge! Great work everyone!

Yay me too!

@HotCakeX I hope that it will icnlude Timeline support :)

Yeah History syncing once implemented will let Edge browser's web history to show up in Windows 10 timeline

It passed almost a year since mentioning history sync. But still no any progress on this, no info from Microsoft, and for Insiders etc.
I hope this feature will be there as soon as possible.
I expect to see:
 - sync history between my Windows 10 devices / edge installations where I am signed in with same cloud account (separate Work and Personal accounts)
 - sync from my Win 10 PC to my Android phone with Edge on it

@hkusulja 

Spoiler

@hkusulja wrote:

It passed almost a year since mentioning history sync. But still no any progress on this, no info from Microsoft, and for Insiders etc.
I hope this feature will be there as soon as possible.
I expect to see:
 - sync history between my Windows 10 devices / edge installations where I am signed in with same cloud account (separate Work and Personal accounts)
 - sync from my Win 10 PC to my Android phone with Edge on it

Hello,

there is info about it, it's planned for Summer.

https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

@HotCakeX thank you for the reference.
Summer is "long term" and it already passed (i believe more than 23 weeks).

But ok, nothing we can do, just wait. Strange there is no any info in dev channels etc.

You're welcome,
wait summer is passed? I think when Microsoft refers to Summer they are talking about the northern hemisphere. where I am it's still Spring :)

https://www.reference.com/science/months-season-838499ca25af1c2e

also about the info, when it's implemented, it first comes to Canary and after some time to Dev channel.

@HotCakeX yeah, still nothing in canary and specifying calendar month would be more global info, rather then term "summer" :p anyhow, long term already passed and still your spring few months + summer few months is almost 6 months still to go... :\ huh, no way to speed this up ? :\

I wish I knew the answer but gotta ask one of the Devs :)
Well, summer is now officially over (in the northern hemisphere :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:), and there is still no browser history sync, at least as far as I'm concerned... is there any progress report on this available anywhere?
Microsoft Verified Best Answer

@Hugo_R What fortuitous timing! I had posted an update about it just today. Spoiler: We don't have any details yet, but watch that space in the next few weeks! We understand that this is something the community is particularly excited about, and massively appreciate everyone's patience while we work on doing things right. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alexander Riggs (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Alexander Riggs 

Hi,
hopefully soon, the Devs recently mentioned that the Edge insider browser is soon going to get all of its features.

also there has been some weird hints in the Edge settings page regarding history sync, like this one:

sdfsdf.PNG

that notice wasn't there a week ago, i think they are getting ready to enable it. with history syncing the Windows 10's timeline (taskview) will also start working

View solution in original post