Sync stuck at "setting up sync"

Iron Contributor

I'm using Edge canary and since I reinstalled Windows I cannot get sync to work at all. Fresh after installing Windows I installed Edge and logged into my account. I had a "Setting up sync..." message and after a while something similar to "We couldn't set up sync at this time". Then, I went to my image of the previous Windows installation and copied the profile folder - I restored my favorites and a few other things, but sync still does not work. This time, I only see "Setting up sync" indefinitely.

Any ideas what's wrong?

sync1.png

30 Replies
Hi,
for me it happens too, I usually get around it by closing and reopening Edge few times with intervals and letting it be for a few minutes. sometimes i needed to fully uninstall Edge (delete user data when asked during uninstall process) and then installed it again and it worked.

@relu84  Thanks for letting us know. What happens when you try it in Edge Beta?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I uninstalled the Canary and installed the beta - sync worked instantly after the first start up, even though I tried the beta a few weeks ago and it didn't work either.

I sort of like the "bleeding edge" of Canary, but I think I'm gonna stay on the beta for now ;)

Is there any log file that would say more about what happens when the sync fails?

@relu84 Great, we're glad to hear it! Good news: there are two ways to obtain a log file. The first is to submit feedback through the browser, which will generate a log.

The second is more hands-on but can be done anytime. Go to edge://sync-internals/ and click the "Data" tab in the top right, then select "Dump sync events to text." (Please be advised that the resulting file will likely include personal information.)

Hopefully that helps!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted - thank you very much, I will look there when I encounter problems with sync again. Hopefully, I won't need to ;)

Is there a quick and easy way to change from the 'beta' channel to 'release' once the "final" version becomes publically available next week (without loosing any data along the way and having to re-sync)?

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@relu84 Great, we're glad to hear it! Good news: there are two ways to obtain a log file. The first is to submit feedback through the browser, which will generate a log.

The second is more hands-on but can be done anytime. Go to edge://sync-internals/ and click the "Data" tab in the top right, then select "Dump sync events to text." (Please be advised that the resulting file will likely include personal information.)

Hopefully that helps!

Fawkes (they/them)

Wow thanks, this page is very useful and helps me understand what's going on under the hood

Everything is green on my Edge Version 81.0.385.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

fdsf.png

I have a question though, does the "Trigger GetUpdates" button force browser to sync?

I just built my new desktop PC yesterday, I didn't have time to test anything yet, but I did install Edge beta and logged into my MS account. What I've noticed is sync got stuck at "Setting up sync". I am at work now, so can't post any details from sync internals, but I will submit feedback later today and maybe post a screenshot in this thread. I can't recall exactly, but the log-like box on the right seemed to say something in the vein of "could not connect to the network".

Of course, I tried uninstalling (and using the option to clear any data that could be left over) and reinstalling (twice ;)) and it did not help.

Sorry for this post being a bit pointless without any specific details ;)
I'm having the same issue on Edge Dev. Trying to set up sync to a secondary (work e-mail) profile but alas it's stuck on trying to set up sync.

@Deleted here's my sync internals screenshot:

Annotation 2020-01-08 163250.jpg

Seems I constantly get NETWORK_CONNECTION_UNAVAILABLE (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

edit - success! It seems the network I use at home (LTE from Polish T-Mobile) is blocking the connections for whatever reason. I started up a hotspot on my phone (Orange) and boom, synced. Is there any info I could maybe forward to my ISP and tell them to look into it and stop blocking it? ;)

@HotCakeX Re: "I have a question though, does the "Trigger GetUpdates" button force browser to sync?"

In full transparency, we aren't immediately sure what the trigger button does; however, it seems like the one you might want is in the previous column:  "Request Start."  If you're really intrigued, you can first do a "Disable Sync (Clear Data)", which isn't as scary as it sounds, since it just clears whatever's in the behind-the-scenes sync queue and leaves a user's actual data intact.  Not sure if that will help you, but that's what we have right now.

Fawkes (they/them)

@relu84 Awesome, glad to hear that it's working! I don't know of any helpful feedback for your network provider off the top of my head, but I will loop back to you if I find out anything else.

Fawkes (they/them)

what I see is that clicking on "Request Start" doesn't seem to do anything because nothing appears in the "Sync Protocol Log".
but when i click on "Trigger GetUpdates" , I see in the "Sync Protocol Log" that Edge checks for any differentials between the current Edge installed on my device and the cloud data, possibly also cross checks with other devices where Edge is installed, then it gets the answers from all of them and applies the appropriate action to my browser.

clicking on each entry in "Sync Protocol Log" section provides detailed information that helps me better understand what's happening, overall I like it!

@Deleted Could you perhaps provide info about which servers the sync mechanism is connecting to? Things like addresses and ports. This might help negotiating with the ISP ;)

@relu84 

In the edge://sync-internals/
it shows
Server URL: https://activity.windows.com/v1/feeds/me/syncEntities/

@HotCakeX oh, thank you, I missed that somehow :) 

You're welcome, not sure about the ports though, Edge opens lots of ports on the startup and during sync :)

So I've been an Edge Insider since day one.  I have always been stuck on "Setting up Sync" on every PC I've ever set it up on.  The ONLY way it works is if I set it up on my MSA account.  At work for obvious reasons I want to use my AAD account from o365.  Why isn't this working?!!

I looked at the edge://sync-internals/# from both accounts and the AAD account has never successfully synced EVER.  Please help.

Hi,
what's your Office365 plan? as far as I know sync requires enterprise state roaming
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/enterprise-state-roaming-enable

@HotCakeX We are long time paying Office 365 Business Premium subscribers.  This is absolutely maddening.  We pay for this service and want to simlply sync favorites.  No different than a user of the >>FREE<< MSA accounts.  I sign onto my free MSA account, sync works like a champ.  I sign into the account I pay MS for each month along with 32 other users... I'm screwed.  Ridiculous.