Sync on Linux

Brass Contributor

Enjoying the user experience of Edge on Linux.  The only thing that I'm missing in order to fully 'devote' myself to the browser is sync (bookmarks/tabs/etc) across devices.  Is there currently a rough estimate on when this feature will be available?

I tried searching for a discussion but I did not see anything.  Thank you!

31 Replies

This is pathetic that it did not come out of the gate linux has become less about devs and more about normal users now and not having sync is them once again taking a dump on us as users EDGE is amazing but microsoft needs mental help

@kraftee "Is there currently a rough estimate on when this feature will be available? I tried searching for a discussion but I did not see anything."

Microsoft has released absolutely no information at all about when MSA sign-in or sync will be available for Edge-Linux, despite repeated requests going back months and months, in this thread and others. 

@MattsCreative   "This is pathetic that it did not come out of the gate ...

I agree that it is ridiculous that Microsoft released Edge-Linux for testing without MSA sign-in or sync.  Without that basic functionality, Edge-Linux is useless for any serious testing/work. 

I've been on this forum for close to two years, and Microsoft just can't seem to get sync working and keep it working reliably on any platform. First it was months of broken sync in Windows, then in MacOS/iOS, then in Android, and now (apparently) in Linux. 

I have no idea what technical issues are involved, but Firefox doesn't have the problem at all (I've been syncing across Windows, Linux, Android and iOS for years without a hitch), so it must be something involving the tie-in between Edge sync and a user's MSA.

runs like gold on arch linux
Thank you so much @HotCakeX !!

@HotCakeX I just updated to the latest build on 3/23/21 via the MS repository and Synch is still not working. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2. I'm still getting the error message that Synch is only available for Windows 10 and Mac OS. Someone needs to look into this, otherwise the welcome screen telling me that's it's now available for Linux users is just false advertising.

@Allen0731 "I just updated to the latest build on 3/23/21 via the MS repository and Synch is still not working. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2. I'm still getting the error message that Synch is only available for Windows 10 and Mac OS. "

Please read "Users can now sign-in and sync their favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux!"  Sign-in and sync are still experimental, and the article explains that you need to set a flag in order the use the feature.  The article also contains instructions on how to back out of sign-in and sync if you run into problems using it.

If you set the flag following the instructions in the article and cannot sign-in or sync, file a Feedback.

@tomscharbach I followed the instructions and found it, but the truth is that this should have been just left enabled by default on the first go rather than burying it in the experimental features to confuse people. Synch should not be considered an experimental feature when it works just fine in Windows 10, OS X, and Android which is, at its core, a version of Linux. That smells of someone higher up just trying to troll Desktop Linux users to be honest.

@Allen0731   "... this should have been just left enabled by default on the first go ..."

Underneath all the happy talk, I suspect that Microsoft knows that sync isn't close to ready for default deployment yet, even in a Dev build, and that's why Microsoft put it in as a flag.  I'm concerned about deploying this right now, to be truthful, because I sync on both test and production computers.  I can't  afford to have sync screwed up right now on production computers.  I have a few days to decide, though, because neither the Flatpak nor the Ubuntu builds I use to test will update for another day or two.

Hi,
this is the first time they've added it, so it naturally goes to flags section first, once they get enough data and are sure it's reliable enough, they will turn it on by default.
Isso é passado, foi resolvido, parabéns a equipe da MS Edge DEV, resolvido o problema de sincronização no EDGE DEV LINUX na versão 91.0.831.1 atualização.
This is past, it was resolved, congratulations to the ms edge dev team, solved the synchronization issue in EDGE DEV LINUX in version 91.0.831.1 update.
now synching my stuff between linux, android and windows...
welcome to the new world