Sync on Linux

Brass Contributor

Enjoying the user experience of Edge on Linux.  The only thing that I'm missing in order to fully 'devote' myself to the browser is sync (bookmarks/tabs/etc) across devices.  Is there currently a rough estimate on when this feature will be available?

I tried searching for a discussion but I did not see anything.  Thank you!

31 Replies
@kraftee Roughly, it might be available by 2021.
yes, this is a thing where they need hurry up. we also need more rapid channel to talk with the linux devs, so where we can find them?

Just got the latest update (~30 dec 2020), but no sync yet. Come on folks, this is needed.

@jeffmcneill Be patient, can't you see that they're taking a holiday break?!

@Kam "Roughly, it might be available by 2021."  I'm curious about why you thought this.   As far as I know, Microsoft has not said anything at all about a timetable for Edge-Linux sync. 

Given Microsoft's development lag for Edge-Linux in general and the probable need for upstream work to implement sync for Edge-Linux, I'm not optimistic about seeing sync any time soon.  I hope that I'm wrong. 

@survivor303 "we also need more rapid channel to talk with the linux devs, so where we can find them?"  That would be helpful.  The most I've gotten is a "I'll check with the Linux team and get back to you if I have any information to report ..." response from the mods and then silence.

Without MSA sign-in, sync, and password autofill, Edge-Linux is essentially bling, useless for real-world testing.  To mitigate this, I imported favorites from an html file and installed the Microsoft Autofill extension from the Chrome Web Store to get MSA sign-in and password autofill.  Its a workaround, and incomplete, but better than nothing.

@tomscharbach Because otherwise, Edge wouldn't survive on Linux!

@Kam "Because otherwise, Edge wouldn't survive on Linux!"

Microsoft has clearly said that sign-in, sync and autofill will be implemented on Edge-Linux, but hasn't given an implementation timetable to my knowledge.   I was just interested in whether you had any information from Microsoft that suggested that sync would be implemented before the end of December.  No matter.

@tomscharbachOh, that. Well, I didn't hear anything officially from Microsoft, but I guessed it wouldn't happen in December because of the holidays.

@Kam  "I didn't hear anything officially from Microsoft, but I guessed it wouldn't happen in December because of the holidays."

Okay.  I misread "Roughly, it might be available by 2021."  I thought you meant that it might be available by the end of December, not that it wouldn't happen in December.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just to add my voice to the thread: The killer feature of Edge on Linux for me, besides less Google tracking than Chrome, is being able to sync across with my Windows PC's Edge browser settings and activity.

I am adding my voice too. Just installed MS Edge, no sign in functionality and account sync, I went straight into uninstall. It's a killer feature and needed.

I've made the switch to Edge (Chromium) on Windows and Mac. The only thing holding me back from using it as my de facto web browser on Linux is the lack of sign in and sync features. Once this gets added I'll be using Edge for everything.

@kraftee, All devs are in the same boat, eager ly waiting for login to sync between devices. For months I've been using Linux Mint and most of the time I'm using EDGE and I miss signing in. I hope microsoft attention the Linux edge team in that sense

+1 on sync.

On a side note "Microsoft has clearly said that sign-in, sync and autofill will be implemented on Edge-Linux, but hasn't given an implementation timetable to my knowledge."

Timetables are not only hard but can have a negative impact on a product and the developers working on it.

@kraftee 

I keep sending the feedback to them on this as well. Near as I can tell, there is no legitimate reason technologically why this should be disabled for the Linux version of Edge as it is working fine for the Android version which is based on Linux. MacOS is also supported, which too is a Unix type operating system. There is no such problem with syncing browsers on Google Chrome, or even using straight Chromium on Linux to sync with an existing Google Account. This is a ridiculous, and quite frankly discriminatory choice by the Microsoft developers and serves no functional purpose other than to upset users.

This feature needs to be developed very fast. Its keeping us linux users back. We really love MsEdge but this feature alone is more core than anything please bring it in your next build or release.

@alnutile  "Timetables are not only hard but can have a negative impact on a product and the developers working on it."  

That may be, but two notes:  (1)  Microsoft does give timetables of a sort (e.g. "Planned for February") in the Top Feedback list; and (2) Microsoft could give a soft timetable (e.g. "We anticipate that MSA sign-in and Edge sync will be available during the 3rd quarter of 2021.") without imposing an unworkable deadline on the developers or forcing premature release. 

problem is that Microsoft has this odd mental mind, that everything what they do on linux side, is for developers, not general linux users.

this is something what they need to get rid off, otherwise things just keep be like they are.

@survivor303 

"[P]roblem is that Microsoft has this odd mental mind, that everything what they do on linux side, is for developers, not general linux users."

Microsoft's Linux development seems to be targeted at (1) developers and (2) corporate/enterprise cross-platform customers (e.g. Microsoft Enterprise customers who deploy Windows for general use and Linux for specialty use, such as development, server management and so on).

I suspect that the latter target is driving Microsoft's narrow focus on Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE distributions, because those four distros are (a) commonly used in corporate/enterprise environments, perhaps providing the lion's share of Linux use in those environments, and (b) developed/supported by relatively large entities (e.g. Canonical, RedHat and so on) that have business relationships with Microsoft.

"[T]his is something what they need to get rid off, otherwise things just keep be like they are."

I agree, but I have trouble developing a business model for Microsoft direct support of general Linux users (e.g. Arch-based and independent distro users) outside of the corporate/enterprise market. The numbers aren't there to support a viable profit model, given the complexity and cost of branching Edge-Linux to particular distros and maintaining those branches, given the relatively small numbers of Linux users who will want to adopt Edge outside the corporate/enterprise environment.  

I never expect to see an .eopkg release, for example, directly supporting Solus. I do hope that Microsoft will release AppImage, Flatpak and/or Snap versions of Edge-Linux, because that would meet the needs of many/most general Linux users outside the .deb/.rpm base at reasonable cost to Microsoft. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Microsoft will issue a Snap rather than an AppImage or Flatpak because Microsoft seems to be closely allied with Canonical.

But I'm just guessing. Microsoft has been even more opaque than usual about Edge-Linux development, so none of us have anything to go on.