SOLVED

Sync isn't available for this account

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

I have two profiles. One uses my Microsoft employee account and the other uses my personal O365 business account. For some reason, my personal account will not sync bookmarks and states "Sync isn't available for this account". I can't find any info on this issue.

Can anyone provide insight? Is it a bug?

78 Replies

@Tred44

Hi! Hope you don't mind me probing a bit, do you mean you've managed to get the UPN-based profile to add automatically or is this still users adding it manually?

I'm in the same boat, it needs to be seamless really before I can put Edge Chromium out.

@sheffieldc Hi guys, didnt understand, is there any solution or workaround for this at the end?, I'm not using an @outlook or @gmail  , instead Im using another domain.

@MissyQ We're well into March now and this is still not available?  Any idea when this will be released?

best response confirmed by MissyQ (Microsoft)
Solution

@LordDelacroix There's a lot of things happening in this thread. Sync is absolutely available for regular users and specific enterprise users as seen here. There are a few things around sync that are not currently enabled, history sync being the biggest one. If sync is still not working for you based on these prerequisites, I'd love to be able to help you out a bit more on a personalized level. Please create a new thread and ensure to tag me in it so I get a notification for the post. 

To make it clear, I'd really rather everyone didn't do what I just asked LordDelacroix above. If you are in this thread already and still having an issue with sync please respond to this message. Provide a screenshot, if possible, and details on what type of account you have (either a personal account, or one listed in the link above). I want to help you out, but with so much going on in here, it's hard to parse who's having what issue right now.

If you are a new person stumbling upon this thread, are having issues with sync, and don't see an answer that will help you, please create a new thread. We review our forums daily (M-F, Pacific time) and will take the time to address as many people as we can. Sync is a particularly frustrating pain point for users like yourselves, and we try to make an effort to help those running into these issues. Appreciate the understanding of our process and patience with us while we work through getting to as many of you as possible. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

At the moment we still can't sync using an account added automatically with 'Configure Automatic Sign-in' set to 'Sign in and make account non-removable'. We are asked to sync but when checking the profile it says sync is not available. The account is added in the form WRA\sheffield.c. If we add an account manually under the e-mail address (which is also the Active Directory UPN incidentally, and is used to sign in automatically into Office - see screenshot) it works - but we need a way to add it this way automatically, we can't rely on users signing themselves in manually on every workstation.

Ideally it would just pick up the Office365 account from the AD UPN the same way Office does.

Edit: Removed attached images

@sheffieldc Appreciate these extra details and screenshots! Does this happen to be an on-prem account?

@MissyQ

Hello! I guess the WRA\surname.f (for example) would be on-premise as it's just an account on our Active Directory - but the associated surname.f@whiteroseacademies.org is an Azure AD/Office 365 identity provisioned automatically though Azure AD Connect. I guess my confusion comes from the fact that Office apps manage to link the two seamlessly - so surname.f@whiteroseacademies.org is also the UPN of the user in our AD, and Word etc. are able to sign in with no user interaction as long as the user's account UPN is set correctly - and it seems like Edge should be able to do the same.

@sheffieldc Got it, thanks for the clarification. After chatting with the PM who owns profiles, Avi, he reminded me that we recently made some changes to on-prem accounts. In Edge builds 81+, signing into hybrid accounts will get logged in with AAD and have sync set up. Right now, in Stable's 80 build, you will need to continue signing in the AAD account until 81 is promoted there. That's currently on hold as we're following Chrome's lead right now. If you would like to try out the changes, I suggest installing our Dev channel. However, once 81 is promoted into the Stable channel, these fixes should be there and you shouldn't need to sign in with the AAD account.

Does this help clarify our side of things further?

@MissyQ

Hello!

Kinda - I have been testing using Dev/v82 because of one person's suggestion above but not had much more luck with it - though reading Avi's post it looks like we'd need to hybrid join our domain machines to get this working, which is a large undertaking for us at the moment.

It's a shame because the reason I was looking into sync stems from a need to have users maintain the same favourites/bookmarks across all PCs in the organisation - and the options seem to be to store it locally and have different bookmarks on different PCs (which will generate constant complaints or to redirect all the user's browser data to a network share, which seems like such a sledgehammer approach (and will probably slow things down and also generate complaints.) Not sure yet how we're going to proceed.

@sheffieldc Ah, thanks for clarifying for me. I misunderstood and thought your account was hybrid based on what you had said. Apologies for assuming!

If you aren't having much luck in 82 (we just went up to 83 in Dev today, by the way), I'm wondering if the group policy is forcing the on-prem sign in. Are you able to confirm that for me? If you don't know off the top of your head, you can navigate to edge://policy and search for ConfigureOnPremisesAccountAutoSignIn. 

@MissyQ

Ah sorry! Nah, I just hoped we'd be able to sign into and sync with the cloud automatically - I think the way it looks at the moment that just isn't designed in, rather than we have a config issue or bug. I'd tried it with the on-premise sign in enabled, not configured and disabled.

The RoamingProfileSupportEnabled registry key seems to do what we need to make sure people's bookmarks are at least maintained across our domain PCs with the changes in 82.0.453, so I think we'll implement that and deploy Edge Chromium once that feature is in the stable channel. Then revisit cloud sync and/or hybrid join at a later stage.

@sheffieldc This sounds like a solid plan! Please do not hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns. We really want to ensure this is as smooth as possible for you and your company. :)

@MissyQ This is very problematic to not include edge sync with the Office 365 Business Premium subscription. I'm a small business owner and I really feel left out like I'm not good enough for Microsoft. This is so basic. I just want to sync my browser.

I was wondering if there is any update on dev/canary about including sync of favourites, passwords and other things using Microsoft 365 basic/standard (new naming scheme for Office 365). I'm having a hard time convincing businesses to use Edge as sync doesn't work

@AlexB 

Agreed, this isn't a very good practice from my point of view, especially since the sync is fully functional for me on my personal Microsoft account but my company doesn't get such a benefit for our Office 365 accounts unless we pay for more. I love the new Edge, but it's hard to encourage adoption when so many people are used to the convenience of FF or Chrome offering such a feature out of the box without having to pay an additional cost (if they do not have E3 or above plans). 

@MissyQ 

Hi I’m new to this discussion and I’m sorry to go over all this again, but we have the same issue with our work school accounts. We have MS 365 Business Essentials and are unable to sync our favourites. Using a Free Microsoft account works. 

I did try to follow this long thread, but I’m confused if and what the solution is? You suggest a registry edit as a temporary solution. I don’t mind doing this, but please advise if this is the way forward or if there is a solution to follow or if for a very strange reason we need to pay for premium Azure? If the latter surely this can’t be the case given syncing works with Free Microsoft accounts?

Many thanks

kevin

@Kevinpclarke Thanks for reaching out to get clarification, Kevin! Unfortunately, Business Essentials doesn't support account sync at this time (here's the list of what is supported). The team understands the frustrations that users have with this, and a temporary workaround is to purchase an Azure Information Protection P1 license for a single user in the tenant, which is $5/month. Again, this isn't ideal, and the team is working to make that better, too.

Hopefully that helps clarify things for you. Please let me know if you have further questions, though!

@MissyQ 

Hi MissyQ, Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me. May I ask if it is likely then that this issue will be resolved for users who have Business Essential accounts or is the final Microsoft stance that we need to purchase an Azure information protection P1 Add-on ? 

I do hope a solution is found rather than asking users to pay more $ per month given it works with free Microsoft Accounts. MS Chrome Edge is my preferred browser, Please keep up the great work you are doing!

regards 

kevin

@MissyQ is there any ETA on sync being available for M365 users without AADP1? As it stands, we are having difficulties driving adoption with customers using the M365 basic and standard. 

@AlexB @Kevinpclarke No ETA, sorry. I have been keeping in talks with the team, though. We do truly understand that this is a pain point for Enterprise users, and unfortunately the temporary workaround does require users to purchase the AIP P1 license.

Once I know these changes happen, I will work to ensure it's posted here on the forums. :)