Sync engine is broken again.

Bronze Contributor

@MissyQ @Deleted @Elliot Kirk 

I had problems because duplicates were starting to appear, and I fixed this with the remove duplicates feature(very helpful, thank you for adding it :D), but my favorites in the bar are also displaying text when they should be icon only.

From personal experience, that means its trying to sync over and over again. Further proof to this is this: I have canary and beta open, beta because some things aren't loading in canary. The favorites keep duplicating between each other and reverting back to icon and text even as I am typing this. It feels kind of like whack-a-mole right now.

Are there any major changes that could have triggered this? How fast can this be fixed?

8 Replies

Do you or anyone else knows whether Microsoft has started rolling out the new Edge through Windows update to everyone yet?

I really hope not, because these sync issues should be considered as a roadblock.

@HotCakeX I think I may have found the one spark that made the favorites explode. When I used the remove duplicates, all my pinned favorites showed text again, which was fine, but then they kept doing it, and still are sometimes. If that's the case, then I may have used the solution to the problem that created the problem to fix the problem, making it worse each time it was used.

I agree that this is a problem, especially since its in Beta, the stable version. Can and Dev are fine, but problems in Beta start making me nervous too.

@cjc2112 The team is still working on things, but fixes should be in place in Canary and Dev. However, users still using Beta may see duplicates while we implement changes in there.

Hope that helps!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I think the solution is in fixing the code behind it

@HotCakeX 

I can't find any documentation anywhere, but I think it was Windows Update  KB4541302 that installed Edge Stable instead of Legacy on my 32-bit system today:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date: 27/02/2020 10:53:51
Event ID: 19
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level: Information
Keywords: Success,Installation
User: SYSTEM
Computer: TOSH-CLICK
Description:
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: 2020-03 Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x86-based Systems (KB4541302)

Thanks, yes that's correct, using the KB number I could find more info about it
https://betanews.com/2020/02/26/microsoft-starts-to-roll-out-new-edge/

@Deleted Thank you, that explains a lot! Also, thank you for being so quick to respond and fix the problem!

@cjc2112 Of course, always happy to help! :) 

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge