Switch focus to Edge when a link is opened via another app

Brass Contributor

When Edge was the default, I'd click a link and the focus would shift to Edge displaying the content.

Now, when I click a link in another app, the link is opened in Chromium Edge, and the icon lights up in the taskbar, but the focus doesn't switch to Chromium Edge.  There's an extra step of switching focus before I can view the content.

How can I set it to switch focus on click like the old Edge?

16 Replies

I also noticed this problem

Same thing if I open a new tab from a shortcut or url, the web page is not displayed and the new tab remains in "background" (always the old page that is displayed)
An option to have the "new tab" active would be fine

Hi,
the behavior/experience is the same, I'm trying it on
Windows 10 latest ver
Edge insider Canary Version 80.0.341.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
Google Chrome Canary Version 80.0.3975.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)

when I click on a link from the Mail app in Windows 10, 2 things happen.

when Edge/Chrome is closed, they are opened, the link is loaded in them and Windows automatically shifts the focus to that newly created window.

when Edge/Chrome are already open. the link is loaded as a tab but the focus stays on the Mail app that I am working on.

I like how it is now because when I want to open and click on multiple links in the Mail app, I don't need to switch back and forth all the time between windows, the focus stays on the Mail app until I am done with it and then I decide to switch to Edge/Chrome. I wouldn't like this to change.

@HotCakeX - Maybe you wouldn't like it, but it ought to be an option.  I find it cumbersome to click a link and have nothing happen except a different icon on the task bar flash.  Half the time I think the click didn't register.  And, generally I want to address one thing at a time - Click the mail link, read it or do whatever is necessary, close it and go back to next mail item.

@BillLee3 

I also just started having this issue after updating to the newest version of Windows 10 (2004). There has to be some option that will always focus the window to the link that was opened. Why should I have to click on two separate things? This is America and it's 2020...COME ON MICROSOFT!

@MarkNoble 

This problem is resolved in Windows 10 build 20150(Fast Ring), so users using the stable/released version of Windows 10 should get this fix in the future through the Windows Update.

Given in the Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20150 blog, the issue is now fixed.Given in the Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20150 blog, the issue is now fixed.

Dev builds of Windows 10 are not tied to any specific release though. maybe it comes to 20H2 or later releases.

@TheShaunSaw 

Interestingly, the effect of the behavior is worse in Tablet Mode, if you have your Suface Pro on your lap in tablet mode and selecte a link, you won't even see the flashing taks bar and it seems as nothing has happened. Surprised that this took so long to get noticed and fixed.

Try clicking a link from the feedback hub app in full screen tablet mode and you will notice it.

If it is indeed fixed in 20150, it will take a long time for regular releases to receive it, maybe this fixed get's noticed for more current builds, let's hope.

@MarkNoble Same problem in 2021 on an up-to-date Windows 10 Pro client machine. I found that all browsers (if configured as standard app for web) never appear in foreground when

- hyperlink is clicked in any application (e.g. outlook, wordpad, etc.)

- browser is already opened in background (but not minimized)

Browser's icon starts flashing in taskbar instead of opening in foreground.

I successfully tested this workaround: changing 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout

from default 0x30d40 to 0x0 - now browser opens in foreground when link is clicked in any app.

Still having this issue.
macOS 12.6.3 Monterey

Same issue on macOS 13.3.1 Ventura

@MarkNoble 

Same issue on macOS Ventura 13.3.1.

Same issue on macOS Ventura 13.2.1.
This was driving me nuts... Glad it's not due to a configuration error on my side... but would be great if this is getting fixed (again).
This issue reappeared on Mac Edge version 112.0.1722.46.
Can we revert change which reopened this issue?
So its not just me. I am also seeing this now on macOS.
I have noticed this issue has reappeared on MacOS Monterey 12.6.3 in the last few weeks. Very annoying. I'd love a fix soon :) Using Edge 112.0.1722.48