suppress "This site is trying to open" prompt

Brass Contributor

Does anyone know how to suppress the "This site is trying to open" prompt  for a specific site?

Background.

We are loving Edge so far but when trying to open documents from <company>.sharepoint.com (word excel powerpoint etc) we get want to suppress the prompt.

Adding the specific protocol to the URLAllowList removes the prompt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\URLAllowlist\1=ms-word:*

but this has 2 issues, 

1) we need to set this for every document type

2) this will presumably not prompt when opening a word document from ANY url

Am I missing something here?

TIA

Kris

16 Replies

@Noel Burgess 
I have looked at that but Presumably that will also suppress the prompt for all sites not just your sharepoint portal.

A rather dangerous option with office documents.

You (As admin ) also dont have any control over what people suppress the prompted for.

Hi,
Which Edge channel are you using?

@HotCakeX 

Have tried with canary and stable

@KrisSmith wrote:

I have looked at that but Presumably that will also suppress the prompt for all sites not just your sharepoint portal.

@KrisSmith 

I may have misunderstood your query. I thought you were trying to find a way of preventing the prompt from appearing; it can be very annoying if it is displayed frequently as you go about your daily business. This is what the GP does.

You'd have to test it, of course, but my reading of the policy is that it will show the Always open ... option for the site concerned until it is selected. Thereafter, no prompt and the resource opens on selection. In other words, the prompt is suppressed - as you appeared to want to happen. 

Hi, @Noel Burgess 

What I want to do is stop Edge prompting when opening documents from a specific site (Our sharepoint) (any documents)

I want to leave the default behaviour ( to prompt) when users access documents from other sites (Ie the wider internet) 

I need to set this as the default without the need for end user interaction.

The URLallowlist (despite what the description says it does) can be used to prevent prompts for a particular document type ( ms-word: )  but then wont prompt for that file type from any site.

@KrisSmith Thanks for reaching out and asking about that prompt. I've looped our Enterprise team in, and will let you know if they have any additional insights on GPOs for this.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@KrisSmith One of our engineering managers took a look at this and wanted you to give the following a try:

"Can you check out the following on an Edge canary build 82.0.425.0 or greater?

https://textslashplain.com/2020/02/20/bypassing-appprotocol-prompts/

Settings this flag should you one step closer to having the prompt suppressed."

Please let us know if that does the trick for you!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

Thank you, 

This flag does what it claims and does indeed get us one step closer to what I want.

I would like to be able to pre define a list of sites that don't prompt for any filetypes.

I'd rather not let end users have the "dont prompt again" option as they don't all click responsibly ;)

I guess with this flag they would need to ok it for every site they visit.

@KrisSmith I'm so glad to hear that it's getting closer to your desired state. And that's a great point; here's the team's answer. 

"Yes, this is a fair ask and something we're discussing.  But, in actuality, you will likely not have to do this too many times for the MS Office web apps, because the same origin is used by the web app regardless of the SharePoint site.  So, it, in theory, should be one opt-in for Word, one for Excel, one for PowerPoint, one for Outlook, one for Teams, etc.  So, a lot better than what it was, and hopefully not unmanageable while we explore other options."

I hope that helps clarify things, and please continue to give us feedback--either here or through the browser--about this. And if this solution doesn't work as intended, we'd love to know about that too.

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)

Hi @Deleted 

Thanks for that update.

They are correct that there would not be many cases that need authorising so it would not be a big problem if they need doing on a per app basis.

I would like to be able to pre populate this though.

I realise this is experimental and not guaranteed to make it to the stable release but do you have any idea when (if) this could make it to the stable release? 

Kris

@KrisSmith At this time, I don't have any insight into if/when this would be rolled out, but you can try keeping an eye out in the Enterprise forum section for updates!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

We have enabled the GPO in v81.0.416.64 (User Config \ Policies \ Admin Temp \ Microsoft Edge \ Show an "Always open" checkbox in external protocol dialog) and it does display the dialog check box. When our users check this box, it does suppress the warning going forward. Can you tell me where this selection is stored? I'd like to harvest it an roll it out to all users to suppress the warning like we did back in IE and earlier edge through registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ProtocolExecute\AppName. Also it would be helpful in our VMware Instant Clone environment to roll those settings forward to the user's new workstation so they don't have to check the box again (through VMware DEM).

Any insight where we may be able to locate that data/registry key and use it for other users and roaming?

Thanks!

Ryan

@rbrlc Here's the response from the team:

"You'd need to Edge 83 or newer to get the behavior that I am describing.  If you have deployed that policy in Edge 81, then you might have turned off the prompt for all sites and apps, which could present a security risk. For example, I wouldn't want a malicious actor to, say, launch an app in the background without any prompting, if I thought there were bugs in that app.

At this point, my suggestion would probably be to try the feature in Edge 83 (like in these Insider channels) so you can see the difference.  It's behind an 'about flag' in edge://flags/ but is planned to be on by default soon in an upcoming build.  Then, you could decide if you want to wait for that build, or if you want to live in this interim state until then."

I hope that helps!

Fawkes (they/them)
@Deleted thank you!
@KrisSmith Have you found a way to disable this propmt for intranet sites only?