SOLVED

Support for HEVC / Netflix 4K

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I wanted to ask if there are any plans for adding HEVC support to the new Chromium-based Edge. HEVC is e.g. required for playing Netflix in 4K which currently doesn't seem to work with the new Edge (tried all available channels - stable, beta, dev, canary). With "legacy" Edge that supported HEVC, Netflix worked in 4K without any problem for me.

7 Replies

That's right, Edge legacy supported these features that the new Chromium based Edge

even the latest Version 81.0.403.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), doesn't support them.

• MPEG-4 ASP support
  • H.265 support
  • Dynamic Adaptive Streaming / MPEG-DASH
  • HTTP Live Streaming / HLS

@HotCakeX Thanks for the confirmation. It's a bit shame that something that's being rolled out as a replacement for old legacy Edge drops one of its best features. Feels like a downgrade. More over when it's actually advertised on the official website - "Experience 4K streaming".

Do you know if there are any plans for adding it in the future? It must be technically possible - the beta version around November actually supported HEVC.

It did? it must have been version 78 or 79 at that time. doesn't make sense that it's now removed in version 81.

well the top feedback list is here: https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback
I don't see anything about it in it
you can send feedbacks through browser as well to emphasize

@CZvasam hi, what's the actual problem you have?

I just did a quick test; put my Netflix playback settings on the highest quality, searched for 4K on Netflix and started a movie.

It plays on my 2nd screen 1440p and my primary screen (iMac) which is a 4K.

best response confirmed by CZvasam (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Iengelen I've just checked it and you're correct! It seems they fixed that literately today in the Canary channel (doesn't still work in Beta). I don't know what's happening but let's hope it'll stay that way.

When 4K doesn't work it streams AVC instead of HEVC and only 1080p. You can easily check that in A/V Stats (Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D).

@CZvasam Glad to hear it! Let us know if you see the issue again in Canary.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@CZvasam thx for the information and the key combination

on Mac it works with Control - Option - Shift - D

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CZvasam (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Iengelen I've just checked it and you're correct! It seems they fixed that literately today in the Canary channel (doesn't still work in Beta). I don't know what's happening but let's hope it'll stay that way.

When 4K doesn't work it streams AVC instead of HEVC and only 1080p. You can easily check that in A/V Stats (Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D).

View solution in original post