Suggestion: Share Available Features in Each Build

Bronze Contributor

There is top feedback posts in this forum where inform us on upcoming features in Microsoft Edge. I though, it would be interesting if there was something like master list of features and availability in each channel. Take a look at following example:

OfficialBetaDevCan
Feature 1coming sooncoming soonavailableavailable
Feature 2coming sooncoming sooncoming sooncoming soon
Feature 3available available availableavailable
Feature 4coming soonavailable availableavailable
Feature 5coming sooncoming soonavailable available 

This is for features which have been confirmed to be available and user want to know which feature is available in each build. We could find details from posts , but representing in above format would be more valuable for many users. This is just an idea and we could discuss on improving it. Available could show the build number and/or available date and coming soon also show estimated date where feature will be available or in case it is unknown just shows coming soon and this list could be updated regularly. 

35 Replies

Feedbacks are important, feedbacks is one of the essential part of decision making for Microsoft Edge team. As I said essentials features won't be removed from Dev or Canary and those where are for testing would be removed.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived But even essential features sometimes are removed, like, Smart Copy is essential, even though it is subject to removal at any time.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

Feedbacks are important, feedbacks is one of the essential part of decision making for Microsoft Edge team. As I said essentials features won't be removed from Dev or Canary and those where are for testing would be removed.

that has nothing to do with what I said. I'm not talking about importance of feedback. I'm saying that this chart has nothing to do with feedback.

Yes exactly, and the controlled feature rollouts add to the complexity, as we've seen in Edge 87, there was an instance where it was even running on stable channel (for new favorites experience). so a chart like that is useless for yet another reason.

@HotCakeX 

You just mentioned like Microsoft just might remove the feature and I am pointing out, Microsoft will look into community feedbacks too. So if there is feature which is very valuable and already announced and planned, Microsoft won't just remove them.  

@Kam 

It really depends and even feature has been removed, there would be workaround for that.

@Reza_Ameri-ArchivedThey might, but we can't guarantee that.

@Kam 

True, but we could observe and see what features might be removed, sometimes a feature will be removed and something better will replace it.

on Windows Dev, useful features got recently removed.
on Edge, tab groups as an example, gets removed and added regularly, the same applies for tab previews. they were in Edge for months (+6) and still intermittently come and go.
so no a chart doesn't help.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

and like i said before,
in business environments, people don't make decisions based on things that exist in Dev and Canary channels.

use Microsoft Docs for Edge beta change logs, they are more concrete than change log for Dev.

Canary doesn't even need change log because it's way too dynamic.

Features would affect decisions and business make decisions based on what is going to added. 

Deployment is NOT about downloading and installing application , we need proper planning and it might take long time and knowing what is coming up is very important, because let say if important feature is missing, then we might think about using different browser or consider another alternatives.

What is going to be available in future is important. 

Microsoft Edge teams are very responsive so in case we have business justification for features, they will consider it.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

Features would affect decisions and business make decisions based on what is going to added. 

Deployment is NOT about downloading and installing application , we need proper planning and it might take long time and knowing what is coming up is very important, because let say if important feature is missing, then we might think about using different browser or consider another alternatives.

What is going to be available in future is important. 

Microsoft Edge teams are very responsive so in case we have business justification for features, they will consider it.

Well, you don't seem to understand when I keep telling you that it's not crystal clear what happens to Edge dev and canary. but that's okay, i'll keep repeating myself till you do.

gfdgfd.png

only Stable and Beta are supported are clear what features they are going to have.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

also here

dsdas.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

you don't see Edge canary or dev because they are Not for businesses to plan anything. 

Canary and Dev and mostly suitable for enthusiasts, insider or web developers. anything in them is subject to change and removal at any time.

a chart for what is going on in dev and canary is completely and 100% useless.

the most useful chart is already here, called Top feedback list and the weekly Dev change log and posts.

https://aka.ms/edgedevreleasenotes

https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

From what I know Microsoft Edge will look into feedbacks and design with care and when we test and see it is valuable feature , we might be able to justify it so Microsoft Edge team will implement and implement it in next release, I shared it would be nice to have such ability and it won't be very hard to do that, it could be automatic generated with data mining. However, this is something Microsoft Edge team should decide, you couldn't approve or reject this request.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

only Stable and Beta are supported and it's clear what features they are going to have.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

change logs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

like i said,

a chart for what is going on in dev and canary is completely and 100% useless.

the most useful chart is already here, called Top feedback list and the weekly Dev change log and posts.

https://aka.ms/edgedevreleasenotes

https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

Canary or Dev are Not for businesses to plan anything, businesses know that already, just like no one plans anything on Windows insider Dev channel features that are removed and added without prior notice.

Windows 10 has canary channel too, but it's private and accessible to Windows insider team only.

@HotCakeX 

I know all of these very well please STOP posting what is known to public. You share what you have in your mind and I understand it but you keep repeating and repeating same thing over and over. I ask you kindly stop posting.

Whether this is valuable feature or NOT is up to Microsoft Edge team to comment where unfortunately, I hear no comment from them. 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

@HotCakeX 

I know all of these very well please STOP posting what is known to public. You share what you have in your mind and I understand it but you keep repeating and repeating same thing over and over. I ask you kindly stop posting.

Whether this is valuable feature or NOT is up to Microsoft Edge team to comment where unfortunately, I hear no comment from them. 

First of all, if you have problem with my comments, use the report button.

if you don't want to continue the conversation you can stop replying.

like I said on the previous thread, 

you posted this in discussion so you clearly wanted to discuss it. you can't cherry pick who comments and who doesn't. if you just simply wanted to give your feedback to Edge team, you could have done it through Edge feedback button, that would go Straight to team.

"please STOP posting what is known to public."

what do you mean? do you want me to tell you some secrets? most of the things and technology related info are available to public, but if something is available to public doesn't mean everyone knows about it. search engines have all the information you want and they are public, but does everyone know all of them just because they are public?

see that doesn't make sense.

again, it's rude to tell people stop commenting, some people can take it as an offence, please watch your language.

also, there is only so many ways you can tell someone about a fact. It's understandable how much you want Dev and Canary channels to be stable enough to make future decisions based on them, but they aren't. why and how it's hard to comprehend is beyond my understanding.