SOLVED

Suggestion - Pin to Taskbar option in Install web page as app in Edge

Iron Contributor

If you visit "edge://apps/" and right click on the particular app and select Pin to, then it show option to Pin to Start and Pin to Desktop. There should be an option for Pin to Taskbar.

3.png

I know it can be done from right-click menu, but option in the Pin to context menu menu will make it for handy.

2 Replies

@vineydhiman 

it's probably because Pin to taskbar is somewhere else in Edge.

fdfsfs.png

I know it doesn't install sites as an app but to get the shortcut of a site on taskbar simply right-click on the icon in start menu or desktop and select Pin to taskbar

best response
Solution

@HotCakeX and @vineydhiman good conversation. I'm glad HotCakeX called out that alternative code path. As you call out, that is really just creating a shortcut to that specific URL - very similar to creating a favorite. If you've already installed a site as an app (like a PWA), then I think this functionality in the apps page makes sense. 

I'm not actually sure why we didn't include it - but it might have to do with "Pin to Taskbar" being a really explicit call for a very prominent space in Windows. 

I logged a bug on this though, just so we can discuss it internally. I suspect we may look at this whole page over the summer and this would become part of that effort.

-John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@HotCakeX and @vineydhiman good conversation. I'm glad HotCakeX called out that alternative code path. As you call out, that is really just creating a shortcut to that specific URL - very similar to creating a favorite. If you've already installed a site as an app (like a PWA), then I think this functionality in the apps page makes sense. 

I'm not actually sure why we didn't include it - but it might have to do with "Pin to Taskbar" being a really explicit call for a very prominent space in Windows. 

I logged a bug on this though, just so we can discuss it internally. I suspect we may look at this whole page over the summer and this would become part of that effort.

-John

View solution in original post