Suggestion: allow us to change the search provider directly from the omnibox or the top bar

Steel Contributor

Spelunky_0-1621269655549.png

Suggestion: allow us to change the search provider directly from the omnibox or the top bar

6 Replies
Seems sensible... though I'd prefer not having a new icon added to the toolbar. There's already the "Profiles" button I have no use for, but can't remove. I don't want a non-removable search-provider one added too!

Seeing as when you type in the Address Bar (or when it is blank) there is a magnifying-glass icon to the left, which current does nothing when clicked, why not repurpose that instead?

Have the list pop-up below that, as you've suggested, of providers the user already has configured inside Edge, then at the bottom add a "Manage search engines..." link that when clicked opens a new tab and goes to edge://settings/searchEngines
(Also... don't expect your second-from-last search-engine to ship by default anytime soon!)
Right-clicking on one of the search options in the drop-down menu shown could show a single option as “Set as default”.

If changing default were that low-friction, I could see some changing search engines multiple times in a single day. (e.g. set youtube as default, search and watch some things, set bing as default, perform a few general web searches, etc…)

@dftf-wip 

Spelunky_1-1621327846331.png

@dftf-wip wrote:
(Also... don't expect your second-from-last search-engine to ship by default anytime soon!)

Surely a hacker added that item without my consent...

Make sure share your idea through the feedback option in the Microsoft Edge.
I think a lot of people do that before posting here... but you don't always get a reply by e-mail from the Edge team via that method, just the initial "thanks for sending feedback" automated e-mail. If you post here, you'll often see a Microsoft employee actually leave a comment, so people get the impression doing feedback here means it is more-likely to be seen...