SOLVED

Suggestion about bookmark button position

Copper Contributor

Hello, I'm here to suggest a small modification about bookmarks button. As you can see in the screenshot, I'd like if that button can be moved just next to home button or at least if you can put an option to move it next home button. From my point of view a button next home button will be more comfortable for a user coming from firefox or chrome, since usually folder in the favourite bar are from left side.edge.png

12 Replies

Moving the bookmarks button from its current location may confuse the many users of Classic Edge. The bookmarks button (called Favorites/Favourites in Classic Edge) has only recently been added to Chromium Edge. I think it makes sense for it to stay where it is currently, but perhaps at a later date all buttons could all be customised by each user in a similar way to how they can be in Firefox. (I speak UK English)

Hi,
for users coming from Google chrome it should be familiar. Google doesn't put much on the left side, everything is on the right,
but I also agree with you for the ability to be able to relocate all buttons in the toolbar (including favorites, home, collections etc), either to the left or right side of the Omnibox.

@HotCakeX Graham-STMC even google put items on the left, if you enable bookmarks bar, items start coming from left specially if you have a small amount of folder.Look at the screenshot. I don't like that bar especially on my notebook because it use too much portion of the screen, a button between home button and searchbar that can call all folder and bookmarks (like firefox) will be very useful in my opinion. By the way I'm asking myself if is possible to mod this button position? Like using css on vivaldi. The possibility to move any element of the interface will be wonderful if implemented.bookmarks.png

best response confirmed by xlollomanx (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@xlollomanx There was some debate in the podcast on WindowsCentral yesterday following a discussion about the forthcoming SurfaceNeo and Windows 10X for foldable devices as to whether having the X (Close) maximise and minimise buttons at the top right of an app is now sensible.

Perhaps this conversation about Chromium Edge should be looked at as part of a bigger picture.

Should the positioning of all buttons on all apps made by Microsoft be flexible in the same way as it is possible to customise the ribbons in Microsoft Office?

For now it would be nice to set a standard. You cannot please everyone all of the time. I believe that Chromium Edge should look different to Chrome because it has the potential to do so much more. 

Posted via Chromium Edge (Dev) on MacOS

Interesting, can you send me the link? I'd like to follow that thread.
I am not sure if it is appropriate to advertise podcasts or other media here so I will message you directly.
Oh now I understand your situation and why you asked for the favorites button to be placed on the left side. making the toolbar completely Fluid is nice IMO, like everything be draggable and movable.

@HotCakeX I recently added an adblocker and immediately wanted to drag the bookmarks/favourites list button across so that it was next to the "add bookmark/favourite" button that is part of the search box.  I am very pleased to see the new small + symbol on this button.

I do hope that the other features from Classic Edge will be available in Chromuim Edge and that soon the buttons for adding notes and sharing will appear.2019-10-15 (2).png2019-10-15 (3).png 

Chromium Edge (Dev)

Classic Edge

(I write in UK English)

Posted via Chromium Edge Version 79.0.294.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
on Windows 10 Home 1903 (Build 18362.10022)

Not a good idea, or leave the choice to the user :smile:

@Graham-STMC 

Spoiler

@Graham-STMC wrote:

@HotCakeX I recently added an adblocker and immediately wanted to drag the bookmarks/favourites list button across so that it was next to the "add bookmark/favourite" button that is part of the search box.  I am very pleased to see the new small + symbol on this button.

I do hope that the other features from Classic Edge will be available in Chromuim Edge and that soon the buttons for adding notes and sharing will appear.2019-10-15 (2).png2019-10-15 (3).png 

Chromium Edge (Dev)

Classic Edge

(I write in UK English)

Posted via Chromium Edge Version 79.0.294.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
on Windows 10 Home 1903 (Build 18362.10022)

Hi,

unfortunately I can't seem to find the symbol you're talking about, Idk what I'm missing xD

I would just have liked to have been able to move the two star buttons next to each other!
The star with the + (add favourite) and the star with the list (favourites, reading list and history) In the graphics I attached above, the coloured one is Edge C Dev and the grey one is Classic Edge. Hope that helps?
Oh yeah I understand now, a totally Fluid toolbar with everything (except the ellipsis menu button) relocatable would be great. so everyone would customize it based on their needs
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by xlollomanx (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@xlollomanx There was some debate in the podcast on WindowsCentral yesterday following a discussion about the forthcoming SurfaceNeo and Windows 10X for foldable devices as to whether having the X (Close) maximise and minimise buttons at the top right of an app is now sensible.

Perhaps this conversation about Chromium Edge should be looked at as part of a bigger picture.

Should the positioning of all buttons on all apps made by Microsoft be flexible in the same way as it is possible to customise the ribbons in Microsoft Office?

For now it would be nice to set a standard. You cannot please everyone all of the time. I believe that Chromium Edge should look different to Chrome because it has the potential to do so much more. 

Posted via Chromium Edge (Dev) on MacOS

View solution in original post