SOLVED

[Suggesion] Add an option to make websites installd as apps to be always on top, like Windows apps

MVP

Add the option to somewhere like this

hgfhfhf.png

As to Why I want this feature and reasons behind it, there are a couple:

1. I want to install YouTube website as an app, make it to be on top of all windows so it won't be behind the program that I use. for example I want to code in Visual Studio and watch a YouTube video to learn something and apply it directly.
  2. I want to have Bing or Google search installed as an app in Edge, launch the app, resize the window to have a rectangle shape, put it on the left side to have a side bar which always stays on top. now I can always quickly search for anything I want in that Edge app, no matter what program I use, because it stays on top.***
  3. there are lots of other examples, where websites host a specific service and when we add it in Edge as an app, we will be able to use it just like a real Windows app and have it accessible on all programs if we pin it to be always on top.

***You could say that I could use Windows 10 search on the taskbar but It's not the same. because when you click on something, a picture, video etc, that is a link, the search app in Windows 10 will open it in a full browser window. what i would want is to view that image, watch that YouTube video, right from my Windows 10 taskbar, without going to a full browser window.

@Deleted 

4 Replies

@HotCakeX Thanks for the suggestion. On first consideration, and in full transparency, this might not be feasible with some OSs. (One of our dev colleagues wrote a related piece on this a few years ago.) That being said, I'll still pass this along to our Web Apps team, in case they have a different perspective. :)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi@Deleted 

Interesting article, I want something similar to this

fdsfds.jpg

it's okay if another application with always on top privilege to cover it but at least the majority of normal programs won't cover it.

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Oh, I see now! Thank you for the screenshot and clarification. 

I'll pass this along to the team.

Fawkes (they/them)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Oh, I see now! Thank you for the screenshot and clarification. 

I'll pass this along to the team.

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post