Strip the old version of Edge's PDF reader into a standalone PDF reading application

Iron Contributor

We all love the PDF function of the old version of Edge. It may be the best Windows platform PDF reader in the world. In Windows 8, there was a separate PDF application, but after Edge introduced the PDF reading function, the application was deleted. Fortunately, Edge inherits most of the advantages of the application.

choose-reader-on-start-menu

Unfortunately, it started when Edge switched to Chromium. The new version of the PDF viewing function inherited Chromium’s poor foundation, which was heinously obscure and slow....

As a user, I want to use a pure PDF reader on Windows. I don't understand. This is obviously done by two software. Why should I put it in one software? Besides, Chromium's PDF experience is so bad.

As a user, as a senior lover of Windows, my appeal is extremely simple. I think I can also represent the aspirations of most users-a PDF reader that conforms to the Fluent Design System style, just like you did on Windows 8. .

Let me talk about the other options on the market.

1.First of all, Adobe's Acrobat. To be precise, this is a PDF editing software, but it comes with a reading function. It is slow, sluggish, large and bloated.

2.Chrome, as mentioned earlier, is not capable of loading large files, and the clarity is worrying. Lack of basic page thumbnail function.

3.There are also some third-party readers with ugly appearances, ancient code, and...high prices-for the UX they provide.

33 Replies

@HotCakeX Personnally i would love to see something like that "c:\edgefolder\msedge.exe --pdfonly" who start only the pdf reader of edge.

Like that we can have a very fast pdf reader and use the one in edge (better compromise between edge pdf reader and very fast standalone PDF reader)

That would be nice but that would be just a PWA. t

That sounds like a great idea, there should be a pdf reader taht works with every micrsosoft product that supports everything.

I have been sending feedback for edge pdf reader, there is a option to open pdf in external software to finish it up.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/reader/9wzdncrfhwg5?activetab=pivot:regionofsystemrequirementstab

Just to let everyone know that you can have the PDF reader from Windows 8 for Windows 10!!

It was just easy as pie with Bing!!
naa PWA i really don't like them, because if force us to loose the multi tab features, and if you browse them like a website is very slow (more slower than a normal website), it's only a way to help Google to use "chrome os" who don't support normal app (if sub linux not activated).
So nope thanks i don't want these **bleep**ty PWA
Should be able to do something like that with kiosk mode
But browser is needed anyway, all OSes need a browser, so what if they are both in the same package
epubs are a different story, they are not PDF, there are 3rd party epub readers that MSFT suggest to use.

i hope they will do it by default, because (even me who like the pdf of edge) i found launching all the browser feature and so on for a local pdf is slow (even on my war machine), so having a way to open the minimum of edge to have a "false stand allone" (since it launch edge is some sort of kiosk) will be better

I insiste on the by "default", because it feasible manually but it's a pain in the ... and i prefer to use the one of edge as now than do it manually.
I think XFA could be implemented in Edge if people ask for it and they see there is a need for it from users, even though it's a proprietary architecture, it's implemented in free PDF readers, so shouldn't be a problem in terms of licensing I assume.
Oh you have a war machine, nice
but yeah I agree if we could have a NTP for PDF reader, and could install it as a PWA to launch separately, in its minimal UI, that would be cool.
the PDF NTP would be a blank page for drag and dropping PDF files in it.
Well a lot of secure confidential forms use them a lot.

Very true, PDf app will only use PDF rescources and not a browser.

Just have the PDF App from Windows 8 but more fleunt please.

Everyone sumbit this in feedback hub
Thank you, That App #Worked For Me :grinning_face: