Stop edge from closing when close last tab

Brass Contributor

Hi, is there any way to stop edge from closing when last tab is closed? Instead open a new tab when close last tab.

37 Replies

@dmutsaers wrote:

@zeeshanali1993 For me this is completely logical behaviour. I think it would be strange if Edge didn't close when closing the last tab.

All we're asking for is a choice, an option, like other browsers and even Chromium-based ones offer. Do people get that I wonder? No offence, but thinking one's own way is the best and imposing it on everyone else is the height of arrogance IMO.

They don't really care about users, it's more about casting this image of what we should want but we don't, like windows 10 and it's apps and horrible start menu, ribbon menus etc. Why do you think so many people clung on to windows 7 it was the last windows PC operating system that was for a PC. It's windows for idiots now but as for the hardcore user that has to get a lot of work done each day it's all been a very backward step. Will they ever listen to us I doubt it. I keep using edge but have I uninstalled Firefox and Yandex NO! as I can quickly return if things don't change.

Please add a keystroke option for the menu choice "close other tabs". An extension for this [with an icon] for this would be be better yet! :lol: That way the keystroke could be changed/selected using the built-in Edge methods. I don't have any problem with leaving the current page open.

Add me to the list of users wanting Edge to remain open when all tabs closed - i.e. leave it open like a desktop.  I can use the Windows Close (X) to close the window when I am done.  

@zeeshanali1993 there is addon now
---

This extension keeps a single pinned page to prevent closing web browser when the last tab of the last window is
closed (or every window, it's configurable). To keep the tab bar clean (unlike other extensions), the pinned page
is inserted only when absolutely necessary. It also handles well cases when tabs are moved between windows.

"Don't Close Window With Last Tab" provides no user interface or interaction for users. It only lets users configure additional configuration in "Options".

This extension is open source, to be found at: https://github.com/moneytoo/DontCloseWindowWithLastTab

---
Addon Page
Don't Close Window With Last Tab - Microsoft Edge Addons

Oh, I like that idea. It would definitely work on apple devices. It is sort of like what we have in safari on the iPhone where if you close out the last tab it brings you to the new tab page.
I totally agree on this one because you have two different buttons that are the same icon but two totally different things. One closes out tabs, and one closes out the entire browser. Maybe the last tab should have a + instead of an x to show that you are. Instead of closing the browser on the click, you are instead opening a new tab.

The reason WHY this is important is that they have the option in Edge, which I like, to only show the bookmark bar on a new browser page.  And the vertical tabs option makes it really easy to close out tabs. 

But if I close old tabs in hopes of getting a blank page with the bookmark bar it closes EDGE instead.

Thus Microsoft should add this as an option.

jim

@zeeshanali1993 It's been more than TWO YEARS and there's still no option? I just switched from Opera yesterday and now I really regret removing it. I didn't realize how insane this was until it's too late. Why are they taking so long for such a basic feature?

@BartAllen As long as you're running the latest stable version of Edge, you can enable this feature.

In the Address Bar, go to edge://flags/#edge-ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs

Change the "Ask Before Closing Multiple Tabs" dropdown to Enabled

Close all Edge windows you have open, then bring a new Edge window up on-screen

Now go to the "..." menu, then Settings

Click Appearance

Below all of the themes, look for a new "Ask before closing multiple tabs" and turn this on

Edge will now ask if you're sure whenever you have at-least two tabs open when you try to close it

@dftf-wip 

Thanks for the instructions on how to make Edge ask before closing.  This works but applies to closing the Edge Window via the Exit/Close Window command (or X in upper right of window.  While this is nice, this is not what I was asking for. 

What I wanted was to have Edge remain open when I close the last TAB in the open window by displaying a new tab with the default contents or, at least, ask me if I want to exit Edge.  When I close the Edge window via a Close command or the X in the window header, I am doing so expecting Edge to completely close.  Right now, I get my desired result by making sure I always keep a tab open as a place holder rather than an active tab.  

Again, thanks for the pointer on how to make Edge ask if I want to exit when I try to exit with multiple tabs open.

@zeeshanali1993 It will come but is only available in the canary builds right now if you enable the flag for it.there is a workaround kinda to prevent you from closing the last tab simply pin your home page or new tab page that way at least your last tab does not have a close tab button because it is hidden if you then have remember last tabs enabled at start up.The pined tab you create will always return at start up and any other tabs that are non pinned and still open wil continue where you left off when you re-open edge as well ;) 

@krameshk 

This is Microsoft were taking about. They do not listen or just don’t give care what makes perfect sense. They rather make cute and pretty than functional and productive. They do not care about the customer base unless you a large enterprise customer. Us commoner’s worker ants just do count. I Pay every year for Assure support and I am constantly handed off to second tier and higher support because no one can help with much of anything. Their only out is to refresh your OS which does nothing but totally upset all your custom settings and wipeout all changes you may had made in the registry. It’s a miserable mess just because support is totally lost. Closing your Edge Brower just because you want to close the last open webpage is absolutely ridiculous and we all know this. Removing pages from history also makes no differences either. Once you run out of pinned tab space on the tab bar your pretty much DOA because any page you try to close will shut down Edge. You get a message the browser is still loading or end the browser session. What kind of insanity is that? IE never and I mean NEVER gave us such stupidly trouble.

People who want to close Edge can just close Edge. People who don't want to close Edge shouldn't have to install extensions to keep from closing it accidentally. Radical, I know.

They don't listen to people who actually use windows. If they did we would never have got to the state windows is in now. It's a bloated mess full of stuff hardly anyone will ever use. There should be an option you have not used this bloatware in 28 days should we uninstall it. I think I deserve an award for this idea what do you think Microsoft.

We got what we wanted, ladies and gentlemen!

In Settings, go to the "Customize browser" category and toggle the "Keep Edge open when close last tab" on.

I feel like I lost my mind in only a month of using Edge without this feature.

@ElMatichos Version 123.0.2420.65 (Official build) (64-bit) can't find this stetting