Still unable to sync Edge bookmarks - frustrating

Brass Contributor

I have opened so many tickets on this and have gotten nowhere. Sync is not working on my account. Other users in my org can sync fine so I am pretty sure its an issue at the account level.

The error is GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38

Which seems to happen as a result of corrupt sync data. Is there a way to reset or wipe the current sync data? 

"type_status": [
{
"group_type": "Group Type",
"message": "Message",
"name": "Model Type",
"num_entries": "Total Entries",
"num_live": "Live Entries",
"state": "State",
"status": "header"
},
{
"group_type": "Group Passive",
"message": "Error: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered: ",
"name": "Bookmarks",
"state": "Not Running",
"status": "error"
},
{
"message": "Error: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered: ",
"name": "Preferences",
},
{
"name": "Passwords",
},
{
"name": "Autofill Profiles",
},
{
"name": "Autofill",
}
],

13 Replies

@Michael Rennie We're sorry to hear that you're still encountering issues with sync! Can you please confirm which version of Edge (Canary, Dev, etc.) that you're using? I will pass this on to our devs, but in the meantime, can you please confirm any troubleshooting that you've done so far?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted I have tried all the flavors, Canary, Beta, and Tuesdays public release along with Mac and iOS.

I get the same error logs across all of them. 

1/17/2020, 11:44:07 AM GetUpdates Response

Received error: SYNC_AUTH_ERROR (HTTP 401).

I have tried signing out and in many times, wiping the profile directories, etc.

It lets me sign in and even pulls down my profile picture but it just wont sync anything else.

Other users in my org are able to sync. We have Enterprise roaming state set on and all of us have Azure P1 licenses

@Michael Rennie same error here. Sync works for all tested users in our tenant except mine. 

Tried it on different computers and even Edge on iOS - no success. As soon, as I log in to Edge with a different user it works without hassle. 

Looks like there is an issue with my specific user and not related to Windows, Edge installation, Group Policies and so on. 

Thanks, @Michael Rennie and @Patrick Nehm for confirming. After running this by one of the devs, it sounds like this is related to a known bug; however, can you please submit feedback through the browser so they can take a deeper look at the logs?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Just submitted feedback again for like the 15th time

I just signed in on a completely new clean computer. It pulls my profile image from my Office 365 account but cannot sync anything so it has to be a problem with my user profile. 

edge://sync-internals/ reports the following sync errors.

StateGroup Type
BookmarksnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive
PreferencesnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive
PasswordsnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive
Autofill ProfilesnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive
AutofillnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive
CollectionnullnullError: GenerateCryptoErrorsForTypes@../../components/sync/driver/data_type_manager_impl.cc:38, cryptographer error was encountered:Not RunningGroup Passive

Any update on this? It works in beta Channel. Just not public. Its always worked in beta though. The same crypto error happens to me in all releases of chromium edge under all circumstances using a work account in my domain. I've done every update, reinstall and workaround I could find and nothing yet. I don't have an AD left to make the UPN proxy changes. 

This only happens in edge consumer channel. Beta Channel edge works fine with the same account and syncs everything. Whatever is different between the two channels, please get it working everywhere MS! A have a couple hundred users who can't switch yet because I'm pretty sure its going to affect everyone in my migrated Azure AD.

Was there ever a solution to this? It looks like I'm the only one in our company suffering from this issue.

@Michael Rennie clould you please try it again after changing your AAD password. It seams that kKeystorePassphrase is broken.

@Michael Rennie @Deleted did you ever get a solution for this? I have the same issue with my account and the only one in our organisation as far as I've been able to determine.

Changing my AAD password as @Dennis Scherrer suggested unfortunately didn't work.

@spnorman2020 I had exactly the same issue. After a case with Microsoft it seemed there was corruption in my sync profile which MS only can reset. After that it works like a charm.

@SanderSiemonsma what was the process you used to open the case? We have a few options open to us but would like to send it in the right direction to begin with.

@Michael Rennie 

Also experiencing this on some accounts for our tenant, some seem to be working fine and other not. There needs to be some way to "reset stuff behind the scenes" for errors like this as it seems to be some token or similiar that needs regenerating.

Contacted O365, Azure and Windows support with this but noone was able to help.

same here, 2 years passed! edge97, win11 stable