STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION after Edge 84 Update

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm receiving the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION when browsing after update to Edge 84. I'm trying to repro the issue, but it seems to happen randomly. If I hit "Refresh", the web returns to work without any problem.

I'm not using any third party antivirus software, just Windows Security.

32 Replies

I've been getting this often recently in the past few months. 

I notice playing a video on Steam's store pages for any game will trigger the error, here's an example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113560/NieR_Replicant_ver122474487139/

I've sent a feedback report to Edge. 

@cmir93

As mentioned in my update, I suspect the root cause lies in either a single or combination of motherboard components such as the chipset, audio, networking, or storage controllers and the associated firmware and drivers. My workaround was to use the conservatively developed SlimJet Chromium-based browser as well as Firefox. Alternatively, upgrading the motherboard to a newer generation platform or even an AMD-based system will most likely be the fix in this case. Just make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers installed for all the hardware components before deciding on a new motherboard which will of course require newer types of RAM and CPU.

If you have the time and patience, you could also go back and install a really old version of Windows 10, say, 1803 or 1809 and see what impact Windows 10 has had on this issue.

Hope that helps,

Steve

@cmir93 

I have struggled with this same issue and have gone through everything as you have. I have found my culprit and wanted to share. For me the issue is with the Hardware level of the CPU. Using the same CPU I downcore'd it in the BIOS (All the way to 2.) With no other changes, my errors in browsers have gone away, Errors in loaders have gone away. For me it is time to RMA this CPU, Good luck.

Hey man did you find any solutions I have exactly the same issues ,Cpu R95950 x ,Mainbord X570f , Vga 3080 giga , pls let me know

@Movand 

We have a very similar setup,

Ryzen 5000 series/x570/3080. 

see my previous post and give the downcore in BIOS a shot to test or if you have another compatible CPU to run & test. I sent my findings to AMD and RMA'd the CPU. Haven't had one issue since. 

Thanks man yeah I did same and now it's ok I just don't know is it bad to downcore CPU or not , btw Thanks again
Good to hear, That is just a diagnostic just points you to a fact that some CPU cores that are having issues. Time to RMA that CPU. You paid for a 5950X... you should be able to use all those cores. It's rare but looks like we were unlucky to get a couple bad CPU's. The replacement they sent me. No issues at all.

@DaneGerous 

Yes I working in VFX industry you can Imagine how much is this important btw I bought this cpu in Bangkok but now I living in Istanbul .  the AMD partner in turkey saying you have to go Bangkok for RMA LOL  just with simple calculator Traveling to Thailand on this Covid situation it cost 3 CPU  .

@javiergualixDoes it keep happening when in Safe Mode with Networking? For me it stopped. Not a real solution, but it does seem to indicate it's not a hardware issue. Also, I've read elsewhere that some people have fixed it by uninstalling their 64bit browser and installing the 32bit version. Others changed the name of the browser .exe file. I will be trying these later.

@jond_eweyJust tried restricting cores from 4 to 1 in BIOS and I'm no longer getting crashes. I'm confused now, since everything worked when in Safe Mode. One thing is telling me it's the CPU and the other is telling me it's a non-Microsoft driver or service.

@jond_ewey 

Good morning,

I'm still convinced it was all hardware on the CPU. At least it was for me It's been awhile since I replaced mine and have not had the issue since. When before it was often enough to make me wipe my drives and start fresh, try basic drivers, all different chipset drivers. Different memory, different boot drive and the issue was always there for me right away. 

For me though I'm thinking I still had the issue in safe mode. I don't remember 100% but I'm thinking I did.  You can always turn off all non Microsoft services and roll back drivers. It seems you are getting close! It will be nice when you are done with it. 

@javiergualix I struggled with this all afternoon and evening today on an older laptop I was trying to setup for my son till I found the problem was with the CPU and the solution the problem. On a fresh Windows 10 or 11 install, with nothing else but the OS installed, Edge would throw the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION on every web page I tried to visit. Chrome would also do it on every web page. So it had to be a hardware problem since it was both browsers on fresh OS Win 10 and 11 installs. I swapped the RAM. Still did it. I ran the Windows mem test, which the memory passed. I swapped the SSD and did more fresh installs of 10 and 11, still STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only thing left was the motherboard and CPU. I ran the Intel CPU Diagnostic Tool and it passed all tests. But I was thinking about one of the cores somehow being bad, or the hyperthreading. So I went to the Search Bar on the Win 10 taskbar and ran msconfig.exe, then to the "Boot" tab and then "Advanced Options." Here's where you can set the number of physical cores that are used by the Win 10 or 11 OS. You check the box for Number of Processors and then you can use the drop down to start limiting the OS to lower number of cores. My laptop CPU is older and has 2 cores and 2 hyperthreads so 4 cores show up in the drop down. When I set that to 2 and restarted, my STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION went away and the laptop would load every website without any issues. I tested it again by setting the Number of Processors to 3, restarted, and both Chrome and Edge immediately began again with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION on every webpage. There's no need to test 4 cores, since that's the number of cores and threads on the CPU. So, apparently, there's a problem with one of the two cores on this Dell older laptop. Something that isn't picked up by the Intel Diagnostic Tool. The laptop feels noticeably slower. It's running at 50% cores. But it's a laptop for my 8 year old to do his school work and practice his typing class. It's a Dell Inspiron 7537 and the CPU seems to be soldered to the motherboard, or else I would try and swap the CPU. I hope this helps you. There's definitely something weird going on with the coding to the processor that's causing so many people to have STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors caused by a faulty core on a CPU.