Start Tiles bug??

Copper Contributor

So I just updated to the new Edge.  Why have all my Start pinned website tiles turned to some ugly system color tile, with a tiny icon in the middle?  The icon was the entire tile prior to this upgrade.  I'm assuming this is some bug, please tell me this is not intentional!  Can already feel my OCD kicking in, all the time I put into pinning them, and laying them out in a visually pleasing manor....  

11 Replies

Hi@Renfek 

These?

gfdgdf.png

Yes they are intentional, I agree with you though, there are so much unused space around the icons that could be used to make the icon bigger

@HotCakeX Yes, that look is awful.  I sure hope they reconsider if this is intentional.  

And while I'm here, where is the option to pin to start?  Last April or so, when the question was asked in here, it was stated it was coming, but in the meantime, we could use "Install as app" as a work around.  But that experience was pretty awful, so I was just holding off for the pin to start option to be added.  I assumed we never saw it Canary as it may conflict with classic Edge pinning, but still not seeing the option to pin to start in the released version is disappointing as well.  Is it possible to uninstall the new Edge?  (I haven't looked yet, but will check shortly)  Maybe down the line, these options will be restored and I'll reinstall.

Yes you can uninstall it

you're right there is no separate option added to Pin a website only to start menu, however there are these options on canary channel

fdfd.png

also How to Run Classic and Chromium Microsoft Edge Side-by-Side

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/deployedge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge#how-to-enable-a...

@HotCakeX Thanks HotCakeX, on second thought, I'm worried uninstalling will not revert my tiles, and just end up breaking them all even further (if someone has uninstalled new Edge, and their pinned website tiles went back to their original look and worked fine, please let me know!).  For now I'll try to adjust, and pin to start via first pinning to taskbar, then pin that to start.  It's an awful lot of steps for something that used to be so easy though.... 

At least the tile icons now make me feel like I'm back in the good ole' days of Windows 95 :)  (trying to find a positive, even if a very weak one, lol)

Someone can told me why the icon can't be wide and why it's not system color?

SharedScreenshot.jpg

please also use the feedback button on top of the browser to report your suggestion/issue
Haha
Please report your issue/suggestion, for making a straightforward process for pinning sites Only to the start menu, using the feedback button on top right corner of the browser window, I'll do the same ;)

@HotCakeX I've left feedback.  Even clicked the box to include my email, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about my now disappointing Start screen.  

There are 3rd party free tools that let you modify the start menu tiles like make them bigger, swap the icons etc.
do you like to give them a try?

@Renfek Thanks for letting us know, I will loop our product team in and let you know if they have any additional questions or insights!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted That's good to hear, thanks fawkes!