Stable Release

Copper Contributor

How exactly will we install the stable edition of Chromium Edge on Windows and Mac? 

5 Replies

Hi@greatoverlordgollum 

Automatically from Windows update

according to this post, if your Windows 10 is at least version 1803 and it's either Pro or Home edition, you will automatically receive the new Edge browser from Windows update. beginning January 15.

You will be most likely able to download the stable version right from the front page too. for both Windows and Mac

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/

Also here are more info about the details how new Edge replaces the legacy Edge

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-windows-updates

@greatoverlordgollum  "How exactly will we install the stable edition of Chromium Edge on Windows and Mac?"

That is a question on which Microsoft has released some, but not by any means comprehensive, information, so much is yet to be learned.

On the Windows side, at a surface level the Microsoft's answer so far is simple: Microsoft (in its words) "will start [to roll out EdgeStable] after January 15th, 2020" through Windows Update, noting that "more information will be available on that date." It seems likely (although Microsoft has not announced this) that a manual download link will be provided, either on a NewEdge page similar to the existing LegacyEdge page, or though Windows Insider, or both.

On the Mac side, I think we can assume that there will Mac/iOS (and Android links as well) alongside the Windows link on the NewEdge download page (wherever located), but again we don't know that from Microsoft at this point.

So the surface answer is that we will install the stable edition through Windows Update and/or (presumably) a manual link provided by Microsoft.

We also know, from Microsoft (see the link in HotCakeX's comment) that NewEdge will port over Favorites and other information from LegacyEdge as part of the installation process, remove LegacyEdge from the Start Menu, Taskbar and "all UX surfaces in the OS, including settings, all apps, and any file or protocol support dialogs", install NewEdge in its place, and create a new dataset on a NewEdge-side server through which devices linked to a single MSA will sync, just as LegacyEdge now syncs through a dataset tied to an MSA on a LegacyEdge-side server.

So far, so good.

Then it gets interesting. Microsoft has not released much information as of yet about how the consumer-side** Windows Update rollout will proceed, or how quickly, and that's problematic.

Take a simple, and common example: Many LegacyEdge users have more than one device using LegacyEdge linked to and syncing though their Microsoft Account. I have six (a desktop, three laptops and two Android devices), my husband has three (a desktop, a laptop and an Android device), and most users, I suspect, have at least two (a computer and a Smartphone/Tablet). Will the Windows Update rollout recognize this and update MSA-by-MSA (upgrading all the devices linked to a single MSA at the same time) or dribble out the update based on some other criteria, such as Windows build or MEI-First, and so on (so that the individual devices linked to a single MSA might receive the upgrade days or weeks apart, creating an issue with syncing as Favorites, for example, come and go on the various devices tied to different datasets***).

There are obviously a lot of other consumer-side deployment scenarios about which there are unanswered questions at this point.  So we can't answer "how exactly" at this point, because Microsoft hasn't given us enough information yet.

All we can hope for, I think, is that when Microsoft provides "more information" on January 15, some of those questions will be addressed.

=======================
** On the Enterprise side (and with respect to business-related computers updating through the various business-side update paths), this is not an issue because Microsoft has clarified that the update will not be forced on those devices at this point.

*** LegacyEdge syncs through a dataset on a LegacyEdge-side server; NewEdge syncs through a dataset on a NewEdge-side server. 

@greatoverlordgollum From what I understand, Windows 10 will update and replace it. If you are on windows 7, Mac, Windows 8, or a Work or School computer, you will have to download it from microsoft.

What confusion do you have about it?

@HotCakeX  

"What confusion do you have about it?"

I assume that the "it" is the planned rollout process beginning January 15 and how that will work.  If that is the case, the following are among** my questions with respect to consumer-side Windows 10*** rollout:

(1) Will the rollout process will take place in a single Windows Update that will be issued to all consumer-side Windows 10 users at one time (as is typical of a maintenance update), or will the rollout will be "phased" (as is typical of a "features" update), initially rolling out to a relatively small number and then adding others over time as bugs in the process are discovered and corrected?

(2) If "phased", how long is the rollout process expected to take? A week or two, a month or two, or longer?

(3) If "phased", what will be the criteria for determining which users are in the initial phase and which are in subsequent phases?

(4) If "phased", can users expect that all Windows 10 computers linked to a single MSA for syncing purposes will be updated contemporaneously (that is, simultaneously or within a short period of time, say 24 hours)?

(5) If "phased" and users cannot expect that all Windows 10 computers linked to a single MSA for syncing purposes will be updated contemporaneously, what workaround does Microsoft recommend to keep the two datasets (LegacyEdge-side server dataset and NewEdge-side server dataset) in sync during the period before all of the computers linked to a single MSA for syncing purposes are updated?

(6) Will the Windows 10 "temporarily pause updates" feature, if currently set by the user in "Settings, Update", apply to the NewEdge update or will the NewEdge update override "temporarily pause updates" and install without regard to the user-specified "pause"? [Note that "temporarily pause updates" is not the Microsoft "blocking tool", but distinct.]

(7) Will users be able to "rollback" the update if something goes wrong, as users can do with normal updates?

(8) What information/notice(s), if any, will be given to non-technical users**** before the update? Will users know that the update is about to occur, when the update is likely to occur, and what to expect during the update?

(9) What information, if any, will non-technical users**** be given during and after the update process (e.g. about the various formatting options from which the user must chose during the installation process, and the functional/UI differences between LegacyEdge and NewEdge)?

(10) Will the update initially be "optional" (as was the case in the 1909 rollout) or "mandatory"?

(11) If the update is initially "optional", does Microsoft plan to change that to "mandatory", and if so, when?

(12) Will manual update links be provided to Windows 10 users?

(13) Has Microsoft solved the "duplicate/triplicate" Favorites import problem at this point, or is the behavior described in "Deployment - Fonts, Favorites, Sync" (comment 6) "normal" and expected behavior (comment 7)?

(14) If Microsoft has not solved the "duplicate/triplicate" Favorites import problem at this point, what workaround does Microsoft recommend to to users in order to resolve the issue?

I'm hoping that some/most/all of these questions (as well as questions related to Windows 7/8, Android and Mac/iOS rollouts) will be answered in the "more information" documentation that Microsoft says that it will release on January 15.

======================

** Obviously, given the limited information Microsoft has distributed so far and the many possible deployment variables, this list is not intended to be either definitive or complete.

*** The questions are applicable to consumer-side Windows 10 users only. A separate set of questions (some duplicative) apply to Windows 7 and 8 users, as well as Android and Mac/iOS users. None of the questions are applicable to Enterprise or Education Windows 10 users, or to Windows 10 users getting updates through business-related update channels.

**** I'm thinking, in this instance, about my friend Gary M, who although intelligent and educated, doesn't follow the Windows trade press and is probably not aware that NewEdge is coming except in the vaguest terms, and almost certainly not aware that the rollout begins two days from now.