SOLVED

Some bugs and suggestions with the latest versions (Canary)

Bronze Contributor

Hello

1 - Since the .340 version, when I click on the button Restart (changes of an option in edge://flags/)
the browser closes but does not reopen (the Edge process is still running in the task manager)

2 - Possible to re-put the option to disable the immersive reader (as it was before) in edge://flags/ (or in edge://policy/ )

Easy to set up and everyone is happy :smile: 

3 - If "Browsing history" in edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose is enable, it causes the bug to have about:blank page when we open Edge before having the requested web page (shortcut, start page, clickable link, etc ...)

If the browser is already open, and I open a web page from a shortcut, clickable link from software, etc... I have the requested page directly in new tab (no about:blank)

4 - Always display bugs in text frames or clickable buttons of some sites

test.giftest.gif

Thanks for your great work

98 Replies

@Deleted 

Hi

Always the same problems with the latest version of Canary

No problem with Google Chrome (for 2, 3 and 4) :smile:

How about you let us know when it gets fixed :)

@HotCakeX 

It costs nothing a little reminder :smile:

I would even add that the black frame (#4) is even more "bold" than before, with the latest version of Canary

It's not about the cost, it's about the unwanted info.
there are lots of threads in the forum about unsolved problem, many created by me. I could do the same and every day write 100 comments that are invaluable and don't help.

@HotCakeX 

From experience, when we do not "go up", it is quickly forgotten :)
Especially since these problems do not appear in an "official list" (todo list or other) or "indicated" somewhere

@tistou 

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

From experience, when we do not "go up", it is quickly forgotten :)
Especially since these problems do not appear in an "official list" (todo list or other) or "indicated" somewhere

Okay, I'm reporting this to moderator and asking if bumping threads up like this for Attention (spamming) is OK and if they say it is, then I will do the same for all of my posts.

@HotCakeX 

After if it bothers @Deleted that every 10, 15 days, I report the resolution or not of the bugs, it is old enough to let me know ;)

I didn't understand.
anyway, I'm talking specifically about Thread/post bumping and necroposting,

Everyone who said something in the thread gets notified for little to no reason. this is the main problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Necroposting

In this style of forum, threads are sorted by last post date. Posting on an old thread brings it to the top again. People will often read through the whole thread with a sense of deja-vu, not realizing until a page or two in that they've read all of this before. (People tend not to read the dates on forum posts.)

The pattern you'll tend to get is someone new will read through a bunch of old threads, and leave their two cents on each of them, filling up the thread lists with ancient threads.
To help you further understand what Thread bumping is and does:

It shifts focus away from new posts.
Most active users sort posts by date so that the new posts go to the top (which is default sort option in this forum). This allows users to focus on questions and discussions as they come in. Posting to an old thread "bumps" the old thread to the top, which shifts our focus away from new posts to old posts.

Keep in mind that you're talking to everybody on the forum, particularly "power users" who sort by date. They're all going to read your post. They're probably going to re-read the entire thread.

also Microsoft Employees do read all old and new threads together, there is no need for a constant reminder.

@HotCakeX and @tistou -- Yes, we do try to read through everything regularly (new threads and comments on old ones.) However, even if/as progress on a bug or feature is made, there often aren't newsworthy milestones to share with the community until a resolution or final decision is reached. We do our best to close the feedback loop once that happens, but since each involves different timelines and actions, we appreciate your patience (especially on longer/bigger threads that may have several pieces of feedback.)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Thanks for your feedback ;)

My posts to indicate that this is still not resolved, are just there to give the information
In any case, not to make it go faster (even if everyone would like to see a quickly bugfix to the bugs they posted :lol:)

@Deleted 

Yes I totally understand,
so we all should know that bumping threads doesn't make a bug to get fixed any faster @tistou 

We do feel it's legitimate to ask for an update on a thread which has been dormant for a reasonable period of time. However, we know you'll agree that @Deleted and the folks at the Microsoft Edge Insiders team work very hard and are watching these threads diligently.

Can we agree to avoid bumping threads until they are at least a month old moving forward? If the situation is an actual emergency, we will consider it on a case-by-case basis.

Please note that in our code of conduct, we do recommend against content-free posts so definitely don't just say "bump".

@Eric Starker @Deleted 

Of course

Is there a todo list somewhere, other than Top feedback (to avoid "bumper" topics, even after 1 or 2 months) of bugs, suggestions, etc... that we have indicated ?

It will help to know where it is, if it will be corrected, if it will be done or not

Currently, we are in total uncertainty

Thanks

There isn't anything else, at least not publicly available to us, if it was, we would have seen it.

@HotCakeX 

Ok, thanks

You're welcome

@tistou We have received a lot of feedback about wanting something similar, like a roadmap and/or public issue tracker, so it's something we're actively considering right now. 

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Thanks for this info ;)