SOLVED

Some bugs and suggestions with the latest versions (Canary)

Bronze Contributor

Hello

1 - Since the .340 version, when I click on the button Restart (changes of an option in edge://flags/)
the browser closes but does not reopen (the Edge process is still running in the task manager)

2 - Possible to re-put the option to disable the immersive reader (as it was before) in edge://flags/ (or in edge://policy/ )

Easy to set up and everyone is happy :smile: 

3 - If "Browsing history" in edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose is enable, it causes the bug to have about:blank page when we open Edge before having the requested web page (shortcut, start page, clickable link, etc ...)

If the browser is already open, and I open a web page from a shortcut, clickable link from software, etc... I have the requested page directly in new tab (no about:blank)

4 - Always display bugs in text frames or clickable buttons of some sites

test.giftest.gif

Thanks for your great work

98 Replies

@Deleted 

Problem #3 is "almost" resolved
I no longer have the about:blank page with the option activated
But at times, when I click on a shortcut, the window opens and closes by itself

@Deleted 

For bug 4, I add a screen of this forum where we see the text frames or clickable buttons bug

The black outline when I scroll the cursor

Capture.PNG

Thanks

@tistou Thanks for the screenshot!

@Allen, are you able to confirm if that black frame around the selection is intended UI on the Tech Community site, or if that seems more like an issue with the browser?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

You're welcome ;)

I forgot to specify that I did not have a black "coutour" before the appearance of this "bug" with old version of Edge (and it is not present with Chrome for example)

@Deleted 

here it how it looks like on Firefox

gfdgfdgfd.png

and now on Edge Version 83.0.478.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

fdfsd.png

@Deleted 

I can confirm that the black bar around the language selector is not part of the intended design, yet. I can also see this in the dogfood build.

Why yet?

Because as we continue our accessibility journey items that are accessed by using the keyboard (i.e. Tab and arrow keys) should have a visual focus indicator around them. We have been using a broken dash for this else where in the community and not a solid line. We have not added this to the language selector yet.

Allen

Thanks for the confirmation, Allen!

@tistou and @HotCakeX  -- Are you seeing this in other places too, or just the Tech Community site? And can you both please submit feedback through the browser if you haven't yet?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Sure will do,
umm no I don't remember seeing that in other places, i don't have a website to test it on atm
best response
Solution

With regards to the black bar on focusable elements this change is by design and was tested with end users. From an aesthetics perspective the change was roughly a 50/50 split for/against but it was more preferred by users that have a need for higher contrast colors. Because of our focus on accessibility we decided that it broke the tie. We go over this change in our blog post about the updated form controls. This change has landed in Chromium itself and will be visible in Chrome started in version 83.

And Firefox is also considering aligning with our adjustment too due to the accessibility benefits.

Thanks as always for the feedback and please keep it coming.

@gregwhitworth 

Thanks for your reply

So this "problem / bug" is actually wanted ?
Because it's more like a bug than anything else, to have this black "box" (very bold) on any clickable button, link, etc. on web pages

As it was before, there was also a "difference" but much more "clean/pretty" (much better "integrated" into web pages)

It is the "black" and "too bold" which does not go at all

That of Google Chrome  is good, very little difference on the text and the clickable button

And according to your blog , there should be no difference (or very little) on the clickable buttons and text, for example

Currently, there is this black framed almost everywhere

Thanks

@gregwhitworth 

An example on the Amazon site (taken at random), for me, this is a bug or I do not see the interest to have a black box there

Test.gif

Or this black box (dotted) when we click on a menu option (also appears when we click on a clickable link in this forum (topic title, etc ...))
Once we click, we know we have clicked :lol:

Test.gif

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Please note that any website can override this appearance using the CSS :focus selector; so the appearance you're getting on this site is by the tech community and not the default version shipping with the browser. And regarding Chrome it will be the same starting with version 83 noted above. I will continue to track feedback, and if there is enough feedback from users that this feels broken we may consider re-working this a bit to allow for user opt in but we usually want to avoid a good accessible experience from being an opt in.

@gregwhitworth 

Thanks for your reply,

I will test with Chrome 83 to see if there is the same behavior

For the dotted lines and the black box after having hovered over (or clicked on) the "links", see the side of the active links and hovered over (hover and active I believe)

For the black framed, I find that it is really too black / bold

But I don't understand why Edge doesn't behave like the information in the blog 

If I look at the informations, I don't have the same behavior in Edge

Capture.PNG

On the blog, there is no black box in the drop-down list for example
There is also no black and bold box in the text field

And it does not come from forums or sites (with their CSS), it was not there before it was changed in Edge

@gregwhitworth 

I tested the last Chrome 84 Dev (and browsed a few forums), indeed there is the same feature (some are better in Chrome, they made a mixture of the old and new design, kept the blue part for example)

But there are chances that it does not stay like that in Chrome, many have the same opinions as me from what I read (partly from some of the points listed above)

It's too black and bold, not going at all, with the rest of the browser design

A more sober "color" (gray?) would look much better it would seem
And remove the black "outline" (dotted or not) once we clicked on the button

I'll see what Google does with Chrome, and what it does with Edge

If Edge could look like Windows, which is very good on that side (drop down menu design, in blue without outline, etc ...)

Gray outline when we click on a button to type text

This kind of gray outline would be better, more sober and more adapted to the current design, I think (and then it is already present in the frames of Edge)

Capture.PNG

Just our opinions

Thanks

@gregwhitworth 

Chrome to perfect the design "copied" on Edge

Edge Canary 84 :

Black.PNG

Chrome Canary 84 :

Black2.PNG

On Chrome, the blue outline is much better, the design is smoother

Maybe i'll use chrome canary until edge is the same design

@tistou Thanks for the response, and I'll continue to track feedback.

To your specific example however - this is due to them over-riding within their UI the focus styles created by the platform as can be seen in their stylesheet here:

gregwhitworth_0-1588174468254.png

This does not impact web rendered content as can be seen here on Fidelity.com

Chrome Canary 84 (Left) / Edge Canary 84 (Right)

gregwhitworth_1-1588174661820.png

If we continue to get feedback from users that they do not like the overall aesthetics we'll go back to doing some user research. Out of curiosity, if I offered you a toggle to adjust that, would you use that? I prefer - as noted in the blog and above, to have the default err on the side of being accessible. But I also understand people, even in the study, have a difference of opinion on aesthetics. We spent a lot of time across companies going over this and which direction was the best one. Let me know about the setting (btw, I'm merely brainstorming at the moment and that is only one possible solution - happy to hear others if you got 'em). Thanks for the continued feedback.

@gregwhitworth 

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the details,

Indeed I prefer the design of Chrome for these interfaces (much less aggressive than the black of Edge)

@gregwhitworth wrote:

Out of curiosity, if I offered you a toggle to adjust that, would you use that? 

Yes of course, I would be delighted to test

I have indicated to users of French forums to give feedback on this design

Thanks

@tistou I've opened the following bug to track feedback on this: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1076478

Please star that issue as that helps us keep track (at a Chromium level) the demand for investigating the issue. I'll note that the toggle is only one such solution and it may not be the way we try and solve this, if we try and solve it. I want to try and manage your expectations though, as we have to prioritize our time on the highest priority items based on feedback. And even getting a seemingly simple toggle in requires user testing, design reviews, developer time and considerations of other approaches.

At any rate, I want to ensure that you know that we do value the feedback (not just Edge but the entire Chromium v-team on controls) and will take it into account during prioritization.

@gregwhitworth 

Ok, thank so much for the initiative
I fully understand that you could not respond favorably to all user requests