SOLVED

Some bugs and suggestions with the latest versions (Canary)

Bronze Contributor

Hello

1 - Since the .340 version, when I click on the button Restart (changes of an option in edge://flags/)
the browser closes but does not reopen (the Edge process is still running in the task manager)

2 - Possible to re-put the option to disable the immersive reader (as it was before) in edge://flags/ (or in edge://policy/ )

Easy to set up and everyone is happy :smile: 

3 - If "Browsing history" in edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose is enable, it causes the bug to have about:blank page when we open Edge before having the requested web page (shortcut, start page, clickable link, etc ...)

If the browser is already open, and I open a web page from a shortcut, clickable link from software, etc... I have the requested page directly in new tab (no about:blank)

4 - Always display bugs in text frames or clickable buttons of some sites

test.giftest.gif

Thanks for your great work

98 Replies

@Deleted 

The problem with about:blank is not resolved (in Canary)
This problem does not appear in the beta 79.0.309.54 version, but there are chances that when the beta version will be updated to 81.0.xxxx the bug is present (since it is present in the Dev and Canary version)

For the immersive reader, I think it would be better to have the choice to disable it for those who do not want it (it should be enable by default)
Users always prefer to use an apps, browser, etc ... where they have the choice of settings

As for the "Install App" option which no longer seems to be present in the "flags"

Or in edge://policy via regedit as Chrome

For the 4, no problem with Chrome Canary

Thanks for your help

I think we have to accept this that there are certain features that are part of a browser.
the reading view or immersive reader is part of the Edge browser, just like it was part of the Edge classic. it only shows a little harmless icon on the address bar and you mentioned earlier that your only problem is that you are not used to it, so i think it's better to give it more time to get used to it.
honestly there is nothing to get used to, it's not such a big feature.
the same applies to PWA app install notifications, they are implemented by website developers to offer users the ability to use their website easier, you can ignore or cancel it and it won't be asked again

@HotCakeX 

In the old Edge, the immersive reader icon was separate from the address bar and could be "hidden" (which is not the case with the new Edge)

For the "Install apps", even if I "cancel" it, the icon always comes back

It's not that it bothers me (me like others probably) it's that I like being able to hide / delete options that I will never use

At the beginning of Canary, there were more options for these settings, which I appreciated, there, gradually, these options disappear

Sorry i tried but i couldn't find the option to disable reading view in Edge classic, can you tell me exactly where i can find it?

that's weird, i never get PWA notification spams, when i choose cancel, it won't ask me again.
i go to Google Photos and there is only a + option on the address bar, no notification.
in Outlook it asked me to install app months ago when i reinstalled Edge canary but now it doesn't ask me again.

yes there were flags but they are always temporary so when a feature becomes ready, it is enabled by default and no need to use the flag to enable them.

@HotCakeX 

I don't remember, but it was a "Policy" (via regedit) I believe

Aa yes, just the + icon in address bar

And at each opening of outlook.com, where it says Install "next to the icon then it disappears

I wonder why it doesn't remember your choice when you cancel it

No change with the last Canary (.378)
We will end the year with these "same problems" :smile:

Hi

Happy New Year to you all :)

I re tested with Chrome, no problem with 3 and 4
For 2, the setting is present in Chrome, and is disabled by default

Thanks

2 is not a problem, it's a feature and of course Google doesn't seem to have the same interest into providing a reliable reading view mode like Microsoft does.

there are many chromium based browsers like Opera, Vivaldi, Brave etc, each having their own distinct features, you call them "problems" too just because you can't turn them off?

@HotCakeX 

Yes, not a bug but a suggestion

We wish we could turn it off, have a choice, in fact (like with other Chromium browsers)

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Yes, not a bug but a suggestion

We wish we could turn it off, have a choice, in fact (like with other Chromium browsers)

Oh okay, Good thing that it's no longer called a bug ;)

so you wish you could turn it off,
I personally like to see it more often, in fact i even suggested before to make it a fixed button so we can turn any page we want into immersive reader move instead of Edge deciding that on its own, which is not very good at it.

@HotCakeX 

Always the same with 385

@HotCakeX 

Yes, maybe for the 2, but for the others, the "bug" is still present ;)

But what is a clear instruction to reproduce the #3?

It's been there for months, I haven't seen anyone else reporting the same problem.

@HotCakeX 

I don't know, all I know is that I don't have this problem with beta 79.0.309.54 and the other chromium (so it's a bug)
No doubt people don't pay attention

Being beta tester for some "apps", I probably pay more attention to this kind of problem

@tistou 

@tistou wrote:

I don't know, all I know is that I don't have this problem with beta 79.0.309.54 and the other chromium (so it's a bug)
No doubt people don't pay attention

Being beta tester for some "apps", I probably pay more attention to this kind of problem

Then how can you expect it to get fixed without a clear instruction on how to reproduce it?

I don't know about people but I think I pay enough attention, yet I can't even know what that problem even is because the explanation at top sounds vague.

@HotCakeX 

It would suffice, I think, to compare version 79.0.309.54 with current versions (changes made)
This is what I do when I debug a problem on a new version of software that I test

It is like the problem of the black framing on the text zones, this problem seems impacted that the French users (Windows French), I saw some people having the same problem on French forums

It's unclear because:
1. what is the problem exactly?
2. how to reproduce it? how to make it happen?

you're saying there is a problem but you don't say what..

you only wrote this:
"Since several versions of Canary, with each opening of the browser, it is first the about: blank url before having the right url (it slows down navigation)
The problem does not appear if Edge is already open (and the new page opens in a new tab"

each opening of the browser, it is the first about:blank page before having the right URL. at least try to reword that

@HotCakeX 

Yes, sorry for my englsih

The problem for the about:blank

If I open a web page, I first have a "about: blank" web page before having the requested page (start page, shortcut page, clickable link from software, etc...)

If the browser is already open, and I open a web page from a shortcut, clickable link from software, etc... I have the requested page directly in new tab (no about:blank)

I suppose that when Edge opens (version from 80.x), it opens by default on a blank page (about:blank) before opening the requested web page