Slow tab closing

Bronze Contributor

When I try to close tabs when other tabs are still loading there is a noticeable delay between when I hit Ctrl+w/ click x and when the tab closes.

From what I can tell it seems that closing a tab requires cpu and when usage is high, it has to wait for space to open up.

Has anyone else noticed this issue or have any solutions?

4 Replies

@cjc2112 We appreciate you reporting this. What channel(s)/version(s) are you seeing this on? And if you haven't yet, can you please submit detailed feedback and diagnostic data?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted I've noticed it on every build and every device except for one computer that had 32 GB of ram.

@cjc2112 Interesting... do you see the same delay when you click the "X" for the tab and/or window?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Not when tabs are finished loading. If I have many tabs open, especially(or usually) YouTube, it takes a while to close the window, but that's a separate issue.

I also found one solution that Firefox uses. When you click x on a tab to close it, it immediately closes it on the screen even though the tab process is still using ram and memory, and ends the process a few seconds later. The result is being able to close dozens of tabs nearly instantly because they don't have to wait for the process to end. 

Ideally the best solution is for the process to almost instantaneously be terminated, but if that can't be achieved, then this seems a good replacement.