SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

@Elliot Kirk ne surtout pas faire ça ! un compte microsoft suffira largement et le nouveau edge ne doit surtout pas commencer à être infesté de service google innutile alors que ceux de microsoft/bing sont largement suffisant !

Don't do that! a microsoft account will be more than enough and the new edge should not start to be infested with unmuting google service while those of microsoft/bing are more than enough!

Don't do that! a microsoft account will be more than enough and the new edge should not start to be infested with unmuting google service while those of microsoft/bing are more than enough!

No need to get hot under the collar, the keyword is "option" @HotCakeX 

That doesn't apply here pal.
it'd be like letting a thief in your house and then pretend like he is not there, because you have the option to ignore him or look the other way.

@Captain_Gaxs 

@Captain_Gaxs wrote:

Well said! ++

hahahaha.. nice analogy... fits perfectly...

Dennis5mile

@HotCakeX There's also the problem of how google uses the data. Still, I don't see a problem to just add the option to connect to a google account. No data sent until the user deliberately signs in.

Can't be 100% sure about that
I totally agree. I have an Android device and sync between EdgeChromium (in my PC) and Chrome (on my smartphone) will be very very useful!
If someone doesn't want to log-in with a Google account can don't do it, it is not mandatory!

@dade145 

You don't get it... If they allow signing in with a Google account that means they will have to add google coding into the browser, and being that it is "GOOGLE" you don't have to sign in with your google account for them to data mine the heck out of you, they will have access to "EVERYONE's" browsing habits.  And if you think they will not be watching everyone, then please enjoy your dream.....

Dennis5mile

@dade145 

So why not Google add Microsoft sign in to Chrome browsers?

@HotCakeX Because google is very aggressively trying to gain complete control in everything, and they have no reason to add Microsoft syncing.

Well neither do Microsoft. Microsoft neither need nor should add Google sign in to their browser.
You can just install Edge for Android, or use Chrome at everywhere. You can also tell Google to add "Sync with Microsoft account or you will uninstall it"

The most important thing isn't user's data, it's about ecosystem. If a user sign Edge with Google account, they will likely to install Chrome on their phone, then Google ask them to install Chrome at their desktop for "better experience", and finally Edge's market share was lost.

This already happen in Google search page, almost all Chromium based browser have same experience, but Google always show a popup ask use install Chrome for "Speed", "Experience", "Safety" etc...

That's shame of Google, be evil. That's what happened within real world, don't and never give product to others, or they have "infinity ways to grab your user".

Don't kill this browser, don't let it become the "Next generation Chrome downloader".

SO true!
As an Edge user, I would prefer I you would focus on a smooth transition from there - I am already annoyed that my Edge favourites have not been replicated directly, but in a subfolder. Furthermore, I would greatly appreciate if there was a way to move over tabs I have set aside.
No matter what your opinion is of Chrome, giving the users the option of having the convenience is the right decision I think.

@gocloud Perhaps you don't remember when Microsoft was the "Evil One," deliberately forcing market share away from Netscape and any other competing browsers, to the inferior and vulnerability prone Internet Explorer, by including IE with Windows. Then, Mozilla picked up the battle standard, capturing a fair share of the browser market. But still later, it was "Google to the rescue," with a free browser that eventually brought with it free office software, free cloud storage, free collaboration capability, free utilities and services, and, yes, a whole new ecosystem. And that ecosystem happens to involve a huge share of cell phone users by way of the Android operating system. For many people today, the Chrome ecosystem provides a relatively safe, efficient, and more than adequate solution to their information technology, entertainment, and communication needs. When Microsoft tried to do that, they couldn't get out of their own way. It has nothing to do with being "good" or "evil." 

@LewisBarry  Well said! It really is about the consumer's experience.