SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
it's always been there, not new. Microsoft lets anyone who wants to create a new Microsoft account to either create a new Microsoft Email OR use their own Email address. that Email address can be Gmail, Yahoo etc.
True. But Google doesn't allow Hotmail or Outlook or Yahoo accounts. It's not fair. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!

@Kam Who CARES if it's fair or not? Isn't it a better question what's BENEFICIAL to the user community? Is putting resentment ahead of every other consideration a good way to live a life?

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:
it's always been there, not new. Microsoft lets anyone who wants to create a new Microsoft account to either create a new Microsoft Email OR use their own Email address. that Email address can be Gmail, Yahoo etc.

Yup, and kudos to MS for that! Now, another little step towards making life easier for its users by allowing sync with a Google account wouldn't hurt, either.

Honestly, they don't need to do that. they have integrated chromium engine into Edge to make life easier for everyone, already. people just need to use Microsoft account instead of google account. that's it.
if you want, you can ask google to add Microsoft sync support to their chrome browser.
Yay you're welcome ^^

@Dennis5mile "How long do you think it would take Google to figure out how to use the door you just opened to get in and start getting everyone's info giving that they have proven over and over and over that they are NOT trustable?"

It seems to me that the answer to that question , which I do not purport to know, is almost entirely dependent on the level of security deployed by Microsoft in protecting individual user information stored in the Microsoft ecosystem, and the effectiveness of Microsoft's security measures.

As background, I think that we need to come to a common understanding of what "opt-in", in the sense that I'm talking about it, means and how it would work. Edge is by default "unGoogled", with no material links or ties to Google services. Unless and until a user elected to "opt-in", the user would remain in default configuration, with no material links or ties to Google services. If a user elects to "opt-in", then code would be added to that user's Edge configuration (through an extension or directly in the browser in much the same way that code is added to Windows 10 when a user elects to activate Hyper-V) to support browser-level integration into Google services selected by the user. The code added by a user electing to "opt-in" would not be added to the Edge configuration of any user who did not "opt-in".

Assuming that is our common understanding of how "opt-in" would work, it seems to me that:

(1) Microsoft-stored information of a user who did not "opt-in" would not be at more risk than the information would otherwise be at risk. Without a link into Google services, Google would have no direct way to track the user's information, so the only point of compromise would be through a hack of Microsoft's servers on which the user's information is stored.

(2) Microsoft-stored information of a user who did "opt-in" would be at more risk than the information would otherwise be at risk, indirectly, it seems to me, because "opt-in" opens the user's browser to direct tracking by Google, and that makes it more likely that Google would be able to collect information about that user's activities, including browser-based activities within the Microsoft ecosystem. The information stored on Microsoft servers would be (assuming that Microsoft protects that information with a reasonable level of security) at no more risk of a hack than otherwise, but the user's browser-based activities could be collected by Google, with the effective result that Google would be able to gather some or all of the user's information stored on Microsoft servers, even though information stored on Microsoft servers would not have been directly compromised.

A question I have (and don't know the answer to) is whether "opt-in" (which is not currently supported) adds risk over and above allowing users to sign into Google services (gMail, gMaps and so on) through Edge without "opt-in" (which is currently supported).  As we both know, ties into Google services are persistent and pervasive.  I think that we have to assume that signing into Google services increases risk, whether or not a user "opts-in", and Edge -- to be blunt -- lacks basic security measures (containers, for example, which allow a user to isolate Google websites from the rest of the browser) to mitigate the risk that Google tracking extends beyond the Google ecosystem if a user signs into a Google account.   As I said, I don't know, but I don't see the risks of "opt-in" are higher than the risks of "sign-in" without "opt-in".

I don't know what to say beyond that. Obviously any information stored online (in the Microsoft ecosystem, the Google ecosystem, with Amazon and other retailers, with Facebook, Twitter and other social media, and with other online sites that use cookies to collect and/or store user information) should be considered at risk. Security is never perfect and often not adequate. I trust that Microsoft's security is tight, but I operate on the assumption that Microsoft's security will be breached sooner or later and that some or all of the information that Microsoft collects and stores with respect to my MSA and/or online activities within the Microsoft ecosystem will be exposed.   

The bottom line, though, is this:  I don't think that allowing some Edge users to "opt-in" to Google services changes the risk equation for Edge users who do not "opt-in", assuming that the "opt-in" option is properly configured so that "opt-in" code is added to the browser upon demand rather than embedded.

@tomscharbach @HotCakeX @Elliot Kirk @Dennis5mile

totally agree.

I don't think it's a good idea. Is Google allowing Microsoft accounts to sign it? Nope. Then why Microsoft should do it?
Hate isn't an argument.

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:
Honestly, they don't need to do that. they have integrated chromium engine into Edge to make life easier for everyone, already. people just need to use Microsoft account instead of google account. that's it.
if you want, you can ask google to add Microsoft sync support to their chrome browser.

"People just need to use Microsoft account instead of Google account" -- well, I am not ready to do that, and I just wanted to try out the new Edge browser for a while without having to jump in head-first. If I can't do that, no problem, I won't be trying out Edge, and maybe it'll be my loss or maybe not, who knows... But it is certainly a loss to Microsoft, as I don't think that driving interested new users away is the result it hoped to achieve -- or is it? Anyway, I am tired of all this back-and-forth. It seems as though many here are concerned more with establishing some sense of "justice" or payback to Google for perceived wrongs than with the pragmatic matter of accommodating as many people as possible, so they can get what they need. Nursing hurt emotions is hardly ever helpful for moving forward...

1. It won't be a loss, don't worry.
2. Edge can be used without sign-in.
3. It looks like you should be asking Google to add Microsoft sync and sign in support to their chrome browser.

@Elliot Kirk 

I think there's a problem with Edge's mobile app - many users who sync Google Chrome with their desktop and mobile have set up Google's password manager in their Android autofill service or keychain. However, Microsoft Edge does not currently have anything like this. Passwords between browsers are synced, but app passwords aren't autofilled or stored.

I use Edge on desktop and mobile, but I don't use password synchronization and use Bitwarden. This isn't because I chose Bitwarden, but because Edge can't be set up as an autofill service and the app doesn't remember my password.

How great would it be if I could create an account in Spotify's mobile app (not the browser) and have it autofill on my desktop?

Mozilla gave this answer a few years ago; Firefox Lockwise is a respected app that can be set up in the Android Autofill service.

Microsoft needs to provide something equivalent to this.

@Elliot Kirk I'm totally against connexion with this sh.. Google.

I'm using Microsoft i don't want to see Google there, if i use edge it's for the edge store who let me broke all tie to google.

So don't listen to those who just want to use edge a second browser and want to sync chrome and edge, and listen those who help you in insider to improve edge and use it a only browser !!

@Oleg__G 

You are not ready to use Microsoft so, tell why do you have to test edge if you are not ready to use Microsoft ?

Those who want google sync are just some people who want to have all without sacrifice anything.
you want to continue to use chrome uninstall edge and go back to Google, because here we are insider who want to help MICROSOFT to do something better, and don't want to see Google in it.

In my case if a user here have more the right to say something it's @HotCakeX because unlike others who make children because they don't sync with google, some here like her (sorry if it's not her) help and contribute on the creation/debug of edge.

You want to sync the two, use a sync extension and sync it yourself and don't let us loose our time (and the one of Engineer who work very hard to create an edge better than other copy of chrome).

Many of us have come to Microsoft to cut all tie with Google, so Let Google in and they will loose trust of company and these person).

Because companies use in 80% Microsoft event the Military of France using Microsoft, not Google no MICROSOFT, do you Really think there user who will see google appear in edge will just say "our data maybe copied by google not a serious issue".

No if Microsoft do that they will lose many of their contract with military who count in million so Sync with Google is i VERY major problem for us.

@Wittycat 

Well said, that's nothing but the truth. 

@HotCakeX it comes down to a fanboy vs a general user perspective. i admin both gsuit and office. clearly @HotCakeX doesn't have any experience with google products and services.

Yes i hate google for their data mining, but what do most end users use? i argue that most MS accounts are created only because people dont know how to avoid it when setting up a new pc. and most are prolly made with a gmail adress.

as for Word- they better get it improved to catch up to the features of google docs. i would be most happy if sign in with a google account was possible, but google services was OPTIONAL. Thankfully Microsoft finally seems to be learning that open source and flexibility are the way to go.

Bing Search, Cortana, bing maps can starve. What can replace google photos, google maps, and most importantly google Meet? IJW. it would be great to have a browser that would suit both worlds. I like my cake and icing :) the numbers you threw around are pretty skewed. More than 60% of mid-sized U.S. companies use Gmail and 92 percent of startups.

@ightNOWboy 

Spoiler

@ightNOWboy wrote:

@HotCakeX it comes down to a fanboy vs a general user perspective. i admin both gsuit and office. clearly @HotCakeX doesn't have any experience with google products and services.

Yes i hate google for their data mining, but what do most end users use? i argue that most MS accounts are created only because people dont know how to avoid it when setting up a new pc. and most are prolly made with a gmail adress.

as for Word- they better get it improved to catch up to the features of google docs. i would be most happy if sign in with a google account was possible, but google services was OPTIONAL. Thankfully Microsoft finally seems to be learning that open source and flexibility are the way to go.

Bing Search, Cortana, bing maps can starve. What can replace google photos, google maps, and most importantly google Meet? IJW. it would be great to have a browser that would suit both worlds. I like my cake and icing :) the numbers you threw around are pretty skewed. More than 60% of mid-sized U.S. companies use Gmail and 92 percent of startups (shuttlecloud.com)

Lots of assumptions there ^^

I have equal experience both from Google and Microsoft products.

Microsoft provides far more valuable services than Google does, on average, for people. the Hotmail, Windows Live messenger, Skype etc. they are popular services that have been around for years.

Gmail has no advantage over Outlook or Hotmail, but it is true the other way around.

Gmail is nothing special, there are Icloud emails, Yahoo emails etc that are equally popular.

Google meet? Meet Now (which is by default available in Windows 10 latest version) and in Skype.

also there is Microsoft Teams, which is a a beast on its own.

these aren't related to the topic anyway but I could go on.

maybe i didn't make it clear how its related; if more than sixty percent of people are using google services, wouldn't it make sense to accommodate them to get more marketshare? i would use it. more market share equals better browser and vice vs.
"Gmail is nothing special, there are Icloud emails, Yahoo emails etc that are equally popular." -fanboy perspective. not even close. businesses will go where they get what they want. many businesses use Gsuit with their domain. look at browser market share. that's hard to deny. its great that windows goes chromium, now my websites take less work. on the other hand, i definitely want to use it without google's services as well