SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

@Eric Starker Is it possible to pin the best answer (the solution) since many people seem unaware that this is unplanned and continue to debate pointlessly?

<LASTPOST?>
Thanks. Now this conversation might
now end.
</LASTPOST?>

@Elliot Kirk,

Well then there is no point in using it yet. I was really interested in using it. But if you expect us to fully embrace your system, you should make it easier. Now if I import my data from the google account and start using this browser, I will have created 2 instances of my environment which will never be synced. This is the main con of your arrangement. See you when you allow the third party synchronization.

Something else I would like to point out is that Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (which are probably the most popular browsers) run on: Android (all), Windows (all), Macos (all), Linux (Chrome and Firefox), Xbox one (Edge (old?)).
Once Edge runs natively on Linux (x86 and arm), then there will be one browser that runs on the most popular systems (xbox one was thrown in for good measure). And then we get all the wonderful features of the new edge.
Let's see where this goes now.

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
Something else I would like to point out is that Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (which are probably the most popular browsers) run on: Android (all), Windows (all), Macos (all), Linux (Chrome and Firefox), Xbox one (Edge (old?)).
Once Edge runs natively on Linux (x86 and arm), then there will be one browser that runs on the most popular systems (xbox one was thrown in for good measure). And then we get all the wonderful features of the new edge.
Let's see where this goes now.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

"Let's see where this goes now."

You have already been given the answer to this as posted as Best Answer.   What part of it did you not get???    No one wants their info sold to the highest bidder, Google or any part of that company is NOT being added in......

The End!

Dennis5mile

How do I unsubscribe from this thread?
Thanks in advance.

@Wyatt C Jackson Hello! To unsubscribe, scroll to the very top of the thread to the drop-down menu on the right called Conversation Options. Within that menu, you'll see the "Unsubscribe" button.

@Eric Starker 
I've never seen a wire cause so much tension (fights) among users of the microsoft edge insider community :facepalm:

How do I check if I have been hacked

@Raymond1218 

@Raymond1218 wrote:
How do I check if I have been hacked

Wrong topic.

I need Chrome Google login, I can't stand multiple accounts. I use my Microsoft account a great deal but Chrome and Google are essential to my universal device logging in anywhere lifestyle.
It's already been decided that they are not doing it. check the best response above
So, your response to Google being "evil" is to ask Microsoft to do the same? I guess, in your world, two wrongs make a right. Nice moral values you've got there, buddy... Since you are so eager to get away from everything Google, why would you even care whether Chrome supports MS sign-in? And if Microsoft's cause is important to you, what good would it do to deny Google ecosystem users a chance to try the new MS browser (which many, like me, won't do if they don't have the ability to switch back and forth in an instant)? You basically have a zero-sum, lose-lose mentality, and it stinks...
It sinks? are you sure? lol
Google is doing exactly the same and provides absolutely no compatibility with Microsoft ecosystem and look where their browser stands against Edge. yup, that's your answer, buddy.

I don't have a personal dog in this fight (to the extent possible I refrain from using the Google ecosystem, and until Microsoft releases a Linux version of Edge in another year or two, Firefox will remain my primary browser) but I think it appropriate to make a few quiet observations:

(1) Although Microsoft has made it clear (see "Best Response") that it does not "plan to integrate Google services into Microsoft Edge by default", Microsoft is "considering including an opt-in experience for users to attach their Google account to Microsoft Edge". 

(2) Microsoft welcomes continued discussion of this and other topics related to integration with Google/Chrome (again, see "Best Response") for users who would find integration at one level or another useful: "Please continue to provide your feedback and suggestions around this feature; the team will continue to review feedback even if we have moved something to Not Planned."

This discussion thread seems to have developed a lot of acrimony, but I think that the acrimony is misplaced, in part, because the nature of the request by Google users in this and other similar threads has been misunderstood.

The requested feature (ability to sign in with a Google account) does not require Microsoft "to integrate Google services into Microsoft Edge by default". Instead, the requested feature (and other forms of integration suggested in other threads like the discussion thread "Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion" and similar) requires only that Microsoft give users who want to be tied into the Google ecosystem for one reason or another the ability to "opt-in" if desired.

It seems to me that Edge can be "Google-free" by default (for me that is a minimal requirement for any browser I would be willing to use), but still allow users who want to be (or need to be) tied into the Google ecosystem to have the option of activating integration at one level or another through toggles or extensions, in much the same way as "Turn Windows Feathers on and off" allows users to opt-in or opt-out of Windows services.

Google-dependent users have a legitimate reason for requesting integration, and "opt-in" integration does not require Microsoft to turn its back on its decision to make "unGoogle" Edge by default.  Microsoft seems to recognize this by acknowledging that Microsoft "is considering including an opt-in experience for users to attach their Google account to Microsoft Edge".

If this discussion continues, it might make sense to focus on what Microsoft could/should do rather than on what Google does, and to focus on "opt-in" integration as a service to Google users rather than arguing about whether or not Microsoft should "integrate Google services into Microsoft Edge by default".   

I think do anything with "sell your soul for a buck" Google is asking for trouble sooner or later. It be liking to waving your hand in front of a gator without getting bit... How many times do you think you can do this before you finally get bit...? How long do you think it would take Google to figure out how to use the door you just opened to get in and start getting everyone's info giving that they have proven over and over and over that they are NOT trustable?

Justmy20cents
Dennis5mile
I agree 100% percent, especially with your last paragraph. I just want to clarify that I never even suggested that Edge should integrate the Google ecosystem "by default". As long as it simply leaves a window open for those who need to sign in through Gooogle, it would be good enough. Anyway, it doesn't even matter that much to me if I don't get to try out Edge. It's not like there aren't enough great alternatives. I'm just peeved by people taking such hard loyalist positions on two companies that have clearly BOTH been evil more times than we can count, but at the same time have also done an extraordinary amount of good for the world as a whole. If anything, they should be encouraged to listen to their users' needs and become more flexible, rather than retrench deeper and deeper into open warfare. But some people seem to be driven by resentment, spite and desire for revenge almost as a way of life, as though a blood feud has ever done anyone any good. Unfortunately, they bring this same attitude into an area that requires a rational, cool approach, based on listening to people's needs and building bridges, rather than more walls.

I know this feature is not planned, but I shared a workaround:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/workaround-for-using-gmail-account-to-sync-in-mic... 

This way you may use your Gmail username and password to login and sync in Microsoft Edge.

In general, you are creating Microsoft Account using data you are using to sign into your Gmail.