SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

This is the reason why Google sign in is Not needed.

there are at the very least over 3 Billions Microsoft account! that's half of the Earth population.

(that report is from the beginning of 2019, by now, at the end of 2019, numbers are way higher)

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/securityinsights/identity

There is definitely no shortage of Microsoft accounts. so if anything is going to happen, it should be on Google's side letting Chrome users be able to sign into Chrome browser using Microsoft account.

I personally believe we don't need to do anything with Google/worldslargestdataminers. Having Google allow users to sign in with their Microsoft accounts is the same as allow users to sign into MS with their Google accounts. Your giving Google your info.... Your giving Google your MS login info and anything else they can link to that from you and of you..... Your handing Google permission to have Your MS login ...... Do you Really want Google to have that???? And if you think your login is going to be safe with Google, you really need to think on it.. We're talking about the worlds largest data miner sell your soul for a buck Google......... NO Thanks! I'd rather stay as far as I can from allowing them any access......

Justmy20cents
Dennis5mile
Agreed,
my 20cents as well. so now we got 40cents! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
lol (⌐■_■) cool, hhmm we have enough for maybe a small cup of coffee.. c(__)

Dennis5mile
Haha ;p

Today i was reading this article on the Guardian with the title "How do I protect my online privacy from 'surveillance capitalism'?"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/askjack/2019/dec/05/how-do-i-protect-my-online-privacy-from-survei...

it mentions some great relatable points such as:

• Google pioneered surveillance capitalism and it still dominates the market. According to Ghostery privacy extension-maker Cliqz, quoted in BOWM, Google collects data on more than 80% of measured web traffic, which is far more than Facebook or anybody else. It’s not enough to avoid Chrome and Google’s web properties because its trackers are on most other popular sites as well. 

• Microsoft has put a lot of effort into de-Googling the Chromium code. Microsoft may get some personal data in return, but I already use Windows 10, Defender, Outlook, OneDrive and Microsoft Office as a paying customer, not as an unwilling victim. Also, Microsoft’s business is based on selling software and services, not, like Google’s, on surveillance. People who disagree are welcome to use Linux (free) or buy a Mac (expensive), but the US Defense Department and most major corporations are using Windows 10.

Nice Post!

Dennis5mile
Thanks!
Further reason not to allow Google any access... Article on more Google data mining...

https://mspoweruser.com/google-is-facing-doj-probe-over-the-fitbit-acquisition/

Just what we need, guess I'll be tossing my fitbit away....

Dennis5mile
Thanks,
wow it was a real win for them. they paid only $2.1 millions and got access to millions of people's health data in return, that's probably 10 times more valuable at least.
sadly Microsoft closed their HealthVault service that I used to use and they did it without creating another alternative. leaving the market open for the competitors. I really don't get them.

Yeah, I was really shocked at how little they paid for it...

Another thing that has been interesting to me, is that being a Fitbit user and knowing how before Google purchased them out, Fitbit had major trouble getting their products to keep updating on their Google android app for a long time, but no sooner did Google buy them and now the app updates without fail all the time, which makes me think that Google was doing something on their end to make it fail so they could buy them so cheep.....

Justmy20cents
Dennis5mile

End of off MS Edge topic.. 

@Dennis5mile 

The plot thickens :suprised:

@Elliot Kirk While your statement on this issue is understandable, it isn't very helpful for the many users who go back and forth between the two (Microsoft and Google) environments. For example, I have a Chromebook, which I love for travel purposes, but, at home, I use a Windows 10 desktop. I prefer the way Windows Edge functions on the desktop, but changes I make in terms of bookmarks, etc., won't be available to me on the laptop. One of the first things I thought of when I tried Edge Beta for the first time was, "Wow! Can't wait 'til I can sync with my Chrome account!" That doesn't sound very likely, based on what you are saying. Guess it's back to Chrome! 

I'm curious to know how the news of the Edge beta which was based on Chromium source gave off an impression that it would be using Google services, because there are a dozen Chromium based browsers and they all use their own dedicated sign in processes, Opera, Brave, Yandex etc.
now those companies are smaller than Microsoft and they are still using their own company's sign in features, for Microsoft that has even More accounts that Google, it is absolutely normal not to rely on a 3rd party like Google, specially with the true nature of Google that is based on using people's information (selling/gathering/mining)
also Linux community are not very comfortable with Google fillet

@Elliot Kirk 

I agree with Microsofts workaround on this.

If you need to feel connected with the same account name, you can do as Microsoft suggest.

I don't believe that Google services can be implemented in a way where it does not collect data most who avoids Google, would accept. 

It would also be a confusing move from a PR perspective, because of earlier blog posts about the removal or shutting down Google related services and features.

To me it is an unnecessary gamble which, at worst, could result in losing more users than they can gain from stealing them from Chrome.

Well said :clapping_hands:

@QuietType Maybe if you could make a change to favorites on the browser, and then the changes saved to both accounts, that might fix your problem, but that sounds like it would bring a whole new set of problems. At first when I heard about this, I was like, 'No. That's stupid', but now I realize that for many people, they need to be able to sync their google accounts(like you). 

The best solution seems to add the ability to sync google accounts but block all contact with google(for privacy) until the user starts to sync their google account.

@prbsparx It's about security, not just security about data leaks, also access.

Some software does not allow user create an account, only third-party sign in was provided, you used that software for years, but what if that third-party account was locked/banned/hacked?

You will not able to access your data anymore just because a third-party account issue, a third-party company have rights to decide keep or destroy your account at any time with any excuse...

This happened a lot of times in real life, a company disabled account without tell user what's wrong, only auto reply robot will answer your support ticket, the people behind customer service hot line says "you have violate their TOS or laws and regulations but can't tell you more about that because of company security and customer equitable"

Login with a third-party account and bind a phone or email? no no no, if you prefer, why not register a new account with those info?

You know that google made chromebook exactly to create these problems and force them to use google ecosystem.
so that people would go to other companies and ask them to implement google services.

@gocloud 

@gocloud wrote:

@prbsparx It's about security, not just security about data leaks, also access.

Some software does not allow user create an account, only third-party sign in was provided, you used that software for years, but what if that third-party account was locked/banned/hacked?

You will not able to access your data anymore just because a third-party account issue, a third-party company have rights to decide keep or destroy your account at any time with any excuse...

This happened a lot of times in real life, a company disabled account without tell user what's wrong, only auto reply robot will answer your support ticket, the people behind customer service hot line says "you have violate their TOS or laws and regulations but can't tell you more about that because of company security and customer equitable"

Login with a third-party account and bind a phone or email? no no no, if you prefer, why not register a new account with those info?

Happened to me as well.

google's policies are very different that those of Microsoft.