SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

@tomscharbach the extension idea is awesome indeed! It would please everyone!

Have to chip in here too. I also would prefer that you do not integrate with Google Services. There is always option to just simply login to Google services through webpages for GMAIL etc. I think something google related to be built-in the browser would rather have a negative impact on Edge.

@Elliot Kirk Adding the ability to sign in with Google account, would having all the efforts of creating a great browsing experience be eliminated. And all the hard work of making a the new microsoft Edge a pure Microsoft browsing experience. If a user wants to use a browser with their G account Chrome is available, but brining this idea of let's integrate Google services into the new Edge will have potential problems. Google is first an advertising company and does not care about how a user's data is used. What is the point of using the new Edge if at the end Microsoft makes a 180 degree turn and reintegrates Google services. 

There are better features and better use of the engineering  team's time than integrating Google back into the browser. Features like redesigning the UI including the settings menu, the favourites menu and features that are being asked for and will benefit the experience.  The simple fact is if a user wants Google in their browser Chrome is available, even if Chrome integrates or allows sign in with MS account which is highly unlikely; this deters the use of Edge, including this idea will push people to Chrome and will not give a good incentive to use Edge.

Microsoft=Edge

Google=Chrome

Microsoft DOES NOT Equal to Google.

Well said.

@Elliot KirkI think we made it pretty clear that the majority of us insiders do not want any integration with Google services. Now I can't know what not insiders think.

Letting people sign-in with 3rd party account to synchronize stuff may be ok, but just if this does not affect the browser experience of other users.

It may be something that could be added in the future, if many other people demand for this feature.

Totally Agree with you @Msenusi211!

Dennis5mile
Para mi es una completa tontería agregar esta opción, si alguien quiere usar los servicios de google, pues entonces instalen Chrome, este es un servicio de Microsoft, y como mencionaron anteriormente por que agregar opciones que tanto trabajo les costo retirar. Para colmo esas personas que piden esa opción tal vez usen el navegador por un tiempo y no más. Existe la opción de crear una cuenta Microsoft con Gmail, tanto problemas se hacen en hacer unos cuantos clicks y ya, pueden hacer uso de los servicios de Microsoft.

@_JxR_ 

If you use so many google services because you only want to use a Microsoft service, install Chrome and do not get into trouble, the people who use this service is because we simply do not like using google. If both your personal life and work using google then use you too. And if you both want to use then I leave the page for you to create a Microsoft account. And the key word here is also an option, the option to create a Microsoft account.

https://signup.live.com/signup?lcid=2058&wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&ct=1575147241&rver=7.0.6738.0&wp=MBI...

@_JxR_ 

For that there is the option to import content, apparently you don't know about that function. If you want to make use of Edge, because it only imports your passwords and favorites from Chrome to Edge, there is no need to start from scratch; it is a wide option that exists in all browsers for a quick migration, after importing your favorites and passwords you can make use of Microsoft Edge with all the important data you have in Chrome; there is no problem with the use you have in your professional or personal life, now both browsers use the same engine.

Because you think that adding that option would "help improve Edge", the truth is that I don't see sense in your logic, you can quickly log in with a Microsoft account, you can create it with the same ID as your gmail account. Why synchronize with an account that the provider (Microsoft) doesn't have access to? It doesn't make sense, right?

@AnphirAddoN 

@AnphirAddoN wrote:

@_JxR_ 

If you use so many google services because you only want to use a Microsoft service, install Chrome and do not get into trouble, the people who use this service is because we simply do not like using google. If both your personal life and work using google then use you too. And if you both want to use then I leave the page for you to create a Microsoft account. And the key word here is also an option, the option to create a Microsoft account.

https://signup.live.com/signup?lcid=2058&wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&ct=1575147241&rver=7.0.6738.0&wp=MBI...

Exactly!

Single way import is OK, but sync with Google? Why not make Chrome sync with Microsoft account??? That's what Microsoft did before, bring Microsoft into every where, not bring Google into every where...

@_JxR_ Since you are using Edge not Chrome, you can install a third party favorite sync extension, and bring your favorite data to every browser and devices by web.

It's Edge, not Edrome or Edgome, which not totally same with Chromium, multiple sync provider could lead bad user experience, such as: Extension sync missing in provider A, History will be analysis and sale by provider B without tell you about that, Password partial loss in provider C.

You don't think there will be more provider except Google? Nononono... If Google were there, why not Firefox, App, Opera, Vivaldi, Brave? 

There is no reason to add Google as sync provider, except Edge was totally abandoned and officially recommend user move their data to other company.

@gocloud 

@gocloud wrote:

Single way import is OK, but sync with Google? Why not make Chrome sync with Microsoft account??? That's what Microsoft did before, bring Microsoft into every where, not bring Google into every where...

Yeah, well said :cool:

@HotCakeXAs much as I don't like it, he does have a point. At my school, most services have been transferred to google, mostly through google docs and Gmail. Even though we have office, only the tech geeks use it because the other kids and teachers simply don't know about or aren't familiar with Microsoft's online suite. I'm trying to slowly change that, but for the time being, Microsoft will have to provide some support for google services(which never really worked on edge to begin with, besides Gmail), or people won't have a reason to switch.

Well I said that because that's what I see,
online version is good for quick and temporary usage but universities, schools, businesses etc don't use temporary versions, or do they?
honestly Office has been available since forever.
I didn't know any other type of word processor such as Microsoft Word until i randomly tried a linux OS on a VM lol, i wasn't tech savvy or anything. hotmail or Live was my go to Email provider because of it's cool Live messenger and everything. Google? it's mostly known for its search engine between non tech savvy people, at least that's my experience :)

@Elliot Kirk alot of people have given the feedback to not re-integrate with Google...

I rarely ever use my MS account. In fact, I think I only have it to comment on things like this.

I agree that the DATA should not be stored with Google, because you've done alot of work to keep that data. But I would like to be able to sign in with a Google account... or a OneLogin... or a Facebook... or an Apple ID...? Better yet, why not implement it to support OAuth  where users can choose any service that supports the OAuth protocol... That would also make it easy to integrate with enterprise SSO solutions.

If that was a good thing, Google would make it happen to their Chrome browser a long time ago.

Microsoft has their own and better SSO solutions:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compare-all-microsoft-365-plans
SSO integration with my work Office365/Azure AD account is the main thing I want from the new Edge, but have been unable to get a solid answer on that yet.
They need to fix it before general availability